South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/230/182

Height: 5'6

Default Newbie with lots of questions - advice needed

Hi all
am starting phase 1 next week as have my wedding anniversary and bday this weekend so going for an overnight in a hotel and want to enjoy it.
I have a few questions regarding phase 1 foods.
I was wondering where I could get the low fat ricotta cheese as I am in Ireland and my local Tescos only stocks full fat version. Could I get it in Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes???
If not is there anything else I can use in place of this? I love sugar free jelly but would like a topping too - can we use low fat angel delight ( guess who has a sweet tooth)
Also can we eat nuts in phase 1 or is it just in phase 2?
I have a lot of weight to lose. I had my 3rd baby 8 weeks ago and put on all but a stone of the 4 stone I had lost before her
So am starting at 16stone 7 and am aiming for 13stone again. Obviously when I get there I will reset but just want to move from obese category to overweight.
Has anyone done more than 2 weeks of phase 1 or jumped between phase 1 and 2 ie a couple weeks before a wedding ect
blondie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Congratulations on the new baby!

I don't know much about stones (is each one 11 or 13 pounds? I will google it - aha! 14 lbs/6.35 kilos). I do recall weighing myself in England and thinking I was so light!! The number is so small... similar with kilos. But then so hard to lose just ONE

ANYway - I never really used the ricotta. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt (which was not available when I first did SBD in ~2007) have more protein. Hopefully you can find lowfat/nonfat versions of these if you want to try. I use the Greek Yogurt often as a dessert - with sweet flavorings, or nut butters, or no-sugar-added cocoa mix (<<that might be for Phase 2 though). I often use cottage cheese in place of ricotta in baking - like a zucchini and/or eggplant (aubergine) lasagna without noodles. I often whip it first to get rid of the curd texture. I also have it with fruit in Phase 2 (my favorite is orange or grapefruit segments with cinnamon).

YES nuts allowed in Phase 1, just keep to 1 serving/day (= 1 ounce/28 grams).

Lots of people here jump between phases - I often have Phase 1 days mixed in with Phase 2 and Phase 1.5 (the unofficial in-between phase that many people use, usually it means some fruit but no grains). But you should do a full 2 weeks of Phase 1 as soon as you are fully committed, as it really kicks the cravings and sets you up for longterm success. It also just feels good to accomplish that! I don't think anyone here will recommend staying on Phase 1 for a long time.

Good luck to you! I think that SBD is a wonderful healthy diet.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/230/182

Height: 5'6

Thanks for that Emma.
Lol I know online I have to keep coverting stones to pounds. It would be 231 pounds I think.

Yeah really looking forward to starting it. Got married last year exactly a year after having baby 2 and did Lipotrim - a meal replacement diet - and yes I lost the weight quickly. But I practically starved myself really. So after 3 weeks of being a dumbass I counted calories and walked all the time. So disappointed I put so much back on but then I just seem to gain a huge amount when pregnant even though I walk and eat healthy - in fact healthier than normal.

But this is last baby so its operation body back lol.

I looooove yogurt so will definitely do the greek and I love almonds and pistachios - just have to limit them.
blondie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

Nice to meet you, Blondie. Nuts are one food I measure for portion control. Too easy to eat too many.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Blondie! It's nice to meet you. It sounds like most of your questions have been addressed, and you can also make your own ricotta, using lowfat or nonfat milk. It's easy to do, just Google for instructions. And don't forget your 4-5 cups of veggies every day!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote