3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Oil and vinegar help please! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/272755-oil-vinegar-help-please.html)

paydaymom 01-06-2013 06:24 PM

Oil and vinegar help please!

Ok I have olive oil and canola and the following vinegars: balsamic, rice vinegar, white and apple cider. As I have never ate o&v on my salads I would like some suggestions on combos for my salad. I have always been a thousand island and ranch gal!!

shelflife 01-06-2013 06:44 PM

My basic formula for dressing for two large salads is: 1 T oil + 2 T vinegar + 2 T citrus juice +/- sweetener +/- mustard +/- spices +/- salt & pepper

I change around the types of everything depending on what I'm going for!

Greek Combination (over cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, romaine, & chicken)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (you could probably use your white vinegar here too)
1/2 Tbsp Greek vinaigrette spice blend (Epicure) OR your own combo of garlic, oregano, marjoram, salt & pepper
2 tsp good dijon mustard

I also concocted a Spicy Chipotle Citrus Dressing i'm quite fond of lately. It goes great in a salad with black beans, tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese, cucumbers, peppers, and spring mix.
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp lime juice (or juice of two limes)
1 Tbsp splenda
1 tsp grainy dijon mustard (I like Maille best)
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Chipotle Southwest blend
1/8 tsp salt

The real key is to keep tasting your dressing as you make it to get the flavors right for you!

paydaymom 01-06-2013 07:58 PM

Thanks so much!

I guess I need to wait until phase 2 for the ones with citrus?

shelflife 01-06-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paydaymom (Post 4578322)
Thanks so much!

I guess I need to wait until phase 2 for the ones with citrus?

Lemon and lime juice are ok on phase 1.

jenne1017 01-06-2013 11:44 PM

I like a more vinegary dressing so I almost never add evoo - I love rice wine vinegar with some mrs. dash tossed on top of my salads. Yummy!

paydaymom 01-07-2013 07:52 AM

I am so glad they are allowed!! I do not know how I missed that. That will make such a big difference in my tomato juice I make!!! YEAH!!!

EagleRiverDee 01-07-2013 01:39 PM

I go pretty basic- I use either Flax oil or olive oil (extra virgin) and balsamic vinegar plus some fresh ground pepper and some Ms. Dash Table Blend and shake it up and put it on my salad.

I have also heard that adding a good dijon mustard to the blend makes it quite tasty. I have tried that one yet.

paydaymom 01-07-2013 02:05 PM

these are some awesome ideas and I cannot wait to get some Ms. Dash varieties!! Today I was in a hurry so I just ate rice vinegar and oil and it was really good!! So I cannot wait to try the others.