Weekend Beach Chat 1/5 & 1/6

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good morning sleepy chicks!

I woke up way earlier than I wanted (although 6:30 isn't horrid) and here I am. Trying to increase my caffeine levels, then I might go on a run this morning, then off to watch The Hobbit with DH this afternoon! He wants to watch the 3D version, I'm not really thrilled about that!

What's everyone doing this weekend?

Ooooops, this should be weekend beach chat - I wonder if an awesome mod can fix it
  • Good morning, Tammy! I was fiddling around, trying to edit the title of today's post, but I'll have to leave it for Ruth, since she's the SuperMod and has higher powers than me. My DD and her family saw the 3D version of The Hobbit and said it was awesome.

Jake and I are getting ready to drive over to NJ to spend the day at my DD's, but right now Tyler is wanting all my attention. BBL!
  • Good morning early birds I had planned to be up and out today but some middle of the night insomnia convinced me to start a little slower. Once everyone is awake and breakfasted we are heading out to pick-up the winter CSA (love that!) then off for a birding adventure.

Tammy - I enjoyed the Hobbit but not sure if I could do 3D. Hope it's a fun day.

Cottage - I did manage to change the title, will PM you about that. I stumbled on it accidentally once (like so many things I know how to do!). Hope your Saturday is relaxing.

I'm going to fire up the bathroom heater and get in the shower. Happy weekend Beachy Chicks
  • Good morning! It is almost balmy here this morning at 24ºF! We did get more snow last night so I no longer have yellow on my deck. By the way, after glucosamine and baby aspirin, Disney is now able to go down the deck stairs.

Thanks for starting us up, Tammy, and the title looks fine to me. I could be wrong but I think the OP can change the thread title by using "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread.

Linda, I lucked out and did not have to drive to Book Club last night. Toni's overprotective husband drove us there and picked us up later. Barb and I were very grateful because it was snowing and blowing and visibility was poor. On the way home we saw five of Santa's deer just standing in the middle of the road waiting for us. We stopped and just watched for a while - beautiful creatures who were in absolutely no hurry to leave.

Jazz and I are off to do pet therapy this morning since I completely forgot about it last weekend. I had no idea what day of the week it was from the 25th through to New Year's Day! I'm not sure what the rest of the day will bring. There may be a fair amount of de-decorating happening and I know laundry should be on the list. I hate "shoulds"!

Happy weekend to us all.
  • Good morning, Cyndi. Sounds like you are rarin' to go. Enjoy the birding - does the pooch go along? You have a winter CSA? What do they have - storage veggies and fruit? Or is there a greenhouse?
  • Cricket does not usually go for short day trips. We hate to leave her in the car but want to be able to have lunch somewhere.
    This is the second year for the winter CSA and I love it. It's the farm I get my eggs from in the summer so we get eggs, chickens, storage veggies, greenhouse greens whenever the weather allows, frozen veggies from the season, some canned stuff like salsa and she has baked goods, mini quiches, cheese and honey from other local folks, and beef. The woman who runs it for the farm is a good cook so she often has extras.
    I was just printing my list for the week:
    2 Kale (1.0 bunch)
    1 Swiss Chard (1.0 bunch)
    1 Turnips, small (2.0 lbs)
    2 Spinach (0.5 lbs)
    1 Beets, red, small (2.0 lbs)
    1 Red Peppers, chopped (0.5 lbs)
    1 Green Peppers, chopped (0.5 lbs)
    1 Chicken Pot Pie (1.0 each)
    1 Chicken, Whole/frozen (1.0 each)
    2 Eggs (1.0 dozen)
  • Good Morning

Off to work...I've had a yummy smoothie to keep me fueled.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • good morning!

after a whopping 4 hours of sleep, DW woke me (with lights on, shower running, scale beeping and overall loudness) because she was going to take Aimee into the vet - she's had an itchy ear for 2 days now and DW googled it and thinks she has ear mites. She stays indoors, Chloe doesn't seem to be itchy and I think it's wax build-up, which doesn't warrant an emergency vet visit. So, we made an appointment for Monday night.

Now I am debating between coffee or more sleep!

Twynn - I guess I am the only one who has no interest in seeing The Hobbit? I didn't see the Rings Trilogy either. So I vote no 3D

Cyn - enjoy bird watching

Morning everyone else

Going to lunch with a friend and trying a new restaurant. We did a successful 2 weeks of Ph1 but since TOM started yesterday, I didn't hop on the scale. I was down 4 pounds last week and I'd rather not be frustrated. I will weigh in on Tuesday morning. This week will be a big one - DW is off to her first day of work at her new job on Monday, then Aimee will go to the vet that night. I will be looking for jobs and starting my scrapbook project. And hitting the gym

Happy Saturday!
  • Good morning, chatty chicks today!

Jenn I am with you, no Hobit for me either. Lol No Harry Potter either when that was popular.

Ruth, glad Jazz is moving around much better and you did not have to drive last night. I too enjoy looking at deer they are magnificent.

Tammy enjoy the movie with the hubby

Cyndi I wish we had a CSA. I do try to buy my produce in season from local growers by my friend Joe's. We don't have any by me My favorite place has "seconds" nice size bags of mixed veggies that well look a little malformed. Normally there are 6-8 items in the bag for a dollar! I'll eat "ugly" veggies. She started doing this because "city folks" Woukd not buy anything unless it looked perfect. She said theses veggies are very popular with the locals and that is who really keeps her in business.

Jenn I am with you NO weigh in with TOM. Glad you are having another good OP week. Enjoyyour scrapbooking time. Oh and I do read your blog here

Debbie I hope you get a day off soon, you always seem to be dashing off to work.

Natasha if you are reading this good morning hope you are doing well

Hi to all the chicks yet to check in. Enjoy your day.
  • Hi, everyone. Happy to see you all today - looks like posting will be difficult on days that I work, but I did try to keep up. Going back was hard; the commute seemed longer than usual - I think I get used to doing it every day, then a long break gets me out of that routine.

I did OK staying on plan and not being at home, but I can easily see myself eating the same foods every day I'm in the office. Taking the same snacks, making the same salad bar lunch. Anyone have any wisdom about this as it relates to weight loss success? I've read that letting your body acclimate to the same foods each day will eventually slow weight loss. Something about your body wanting to keep weight on for survival, and "learning" how to do that more efficiently if you eat the same foods each day. Urban myth?

Either way, I'm going to try to change it up at night and one the weekends.

Cyndi, I admire you for using the winter CSA. We've often considered signing up for the CSA I have access to through work, but the amount of veggies - combined with the fact that you never know what's coming in the box - has scared us off. We're just not good enough cooks to handle it! We do have a really good winter Farmer's Market, though. It's a little less daunting for us to have more choices over what we're getting, and the amounts as well.

Jennifer and Jenn - I'm with you both on the hobbit. (Was never a Harry Potter fan either, and oddly, neither were my kids. Seems like everyone kids were into that at some point.)

Ruth, I can't believe the deer just milled around with a car in the road! Sounds like a beautiful sight. I'm a city girl (grew up in NYC, live in Providence now) so I never see or even hear about things like that.

to everyone!
  • Good morning.

triplestep - I will often eat the same things. It is just easier for me to be planned and know what I like. BUT, I do think that over time our body can adjust to "sameness" either in eating or exercise and it can slow down our metabolism and subsequent weight loss. Years ago when I did Weight Watchers, I learned about something they called the Wendie Principle, where you varied your point (or calorie) intake over the course of several days. Bottom-line - I think you are fine for now, but if you stall, try shaking things up with more variety.

DH and I are going to watch my 8 year old nephew's basketball game this afternoon. Other than that, no set plans. DS leaves Monday and we need to get his resume done for summer internships so maybe that will finally happen today. He got his dad's procrastination gene!

Have a great weekend, all.
  • Hi - checking in. Got my hair chopped off (Anna's too) this morning and then hit the grocery store. Gonna feel much better... I didn't have any beans in the house so I was running low on meal ideas.

Speaking of which, I bought dried beans... I know you soak them overnight and then rinse them good... can you freeze them? If I wanted to soak the entire package and use some, and save the rest for another time?

I haven't posted any menus or anything because I haven't truly been doing Ph1 of SBD, I've been doing something different - no processed foods at all, including artificial sweeteners, margarine, etc. It's a personal decision... my hormones are all out of whack, so I'm hoping this will work for me.

Anyway, let me know what you girls think about freezing the beans after you soak and rinse them. Good idea? Bad? Anyone tried?

Lisa
  • Lisa, I have soaked and cooked beans and then frozen them. They end up much like canned. Give it a try because then you have cut out a lengthy cooking time. I guess it really depends on how you intend to use them.
  • Hello everyone! I am a newbie!

Today I am day 4 of phase 1 and feeling like if I can make it past today I can do the rest. I am not sure why today is so hard...no energy and cravings. I do think I have done anything to trigger either one. YUCK!!

You can cook your fresh beans and then freeze. Also I buy the fresh beans, look them and then put them in a ziplock in the freezer to keep them fresh. We can tell the difference between fresh and not fresh!!
  • Hi Payday!

Thanks girls for the beans advice. I may soak them overnight tonight and cook them tomorrow, use the ones I need and freeze the rest then.