Homemade Jerky

• Help, please! Has anyone made turkey jerky? I've seen lots of variations of recipes online and am looking for advice here, since I know many of you are great with this kind of thing. All recipes, suggestions, etc. are welcome!
  • I,ve been making jerky for about 20 years, but I've never made turkey jerky. I have made chicken jerky, and it turned out well, but I'm just too paranoid about salmonella to feel safe doing so, so I prefer to use beef. I also prefer the texture and flavor of beef.

If the meat is properly marinated (in a salty brine) and completely dried, the risk is low, but it still intimidates me (mostly because I have a habit of testing the jerky before it's completely dry - and with good beef that's pretty safe

My jerky marinades are all based on this recipe (though I'll add different spices to experiment)

3 cups good soy sauce (Kikommans is about the weakest soy I ever use. I prefer to use a stronger soy sauce from asian groceries where you can buy gourmet soy sauces cheaper than store brands).

1 medium onion, pureed or grated finely (I liquify it in a blender or food processor)

liquid smoke (1 tsp of concentrate or 1/3 cup of brands like Colgin or Wright)

sweetener to taste (my original recipe called for 1/2 lb of brown sugar. I now use a teaspoon or two of blackstrap molasses and some splenda).

I marinate beef up to 24 hours. When I made the chicken jerky, I marinated it 36 hours just to be safest.