3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Zucchini (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/262808-zucchini.html)

jekel383 07-13-2012 04:57 PM

Zucchini

ok my garden is producing lots of yummy yellow squash and zucchini. I checked the recipe forum in hopes of finding an Italian style stuffed zucchini recipe. Does anyone have one they would like to share. Also, someone raved about zucchini pizza. Is there a link for that recipe? Thanks in advance!!!

cottagebythesea 07-13-2012 05:11 PM

I like to stuff zucchini with a mixture of ww panko toasted in a little olive oil with onion & garlic, chopped tomato, spinach & gruyere cheese. Brush the zucchini halves with olive oil first, and then bake it in a 350* oven for about 20 minutes.

One of my favorites ways to enjoy zucchini is to make spaghetti out of it with my spiral slicer, and eat it raw with marinara sauce. I also love it brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic and baked or grilled, then top with feta cheese.

Can you tell I love zucchini? :)

jekel383 07-13-2012 05:48 PM

that's it I am coming to your house for dinner. I'll bring the zucchini lol They sound delicious!!! Thank you for sharing

grneyedmustang 07-13-2012 06:11 PM

Taken from http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/stuffed-zucchini

Ingredients:
1 tbsp sour cream
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tomato
1 tsp thyme
2 zucchinis
1 onion
cheese
pepper
Optional: bacon (Turkey Bacon for SB)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400 (200C). Wash zucchini.
Slice zucchini in half and "gut" the zucchini.

Now give the zucchini pulp a good chop, also chop a small onion and 1/2 a tomato while you’re at it. Sautee the onions in one tbsp oil or butter. When the onions are almost done, add 1/4 tsp curry powder and cook everything for an additional 30 seconds. No longer or the curry powder will turn bitter. When they’re done, transfer them to a big bowl.

Now this is completely optional. If you want to stick with a vegetable dish, fine, just leave the bacon out. If not, cook the bacon, drain it, and crumble into small pieces.

Now (in no particular order), add 1 tsp dried thyme, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt, 1 heaping tbsp sour cream, a good pinch of pepper, the zucchini pulp, the tomato and crumble the bacon in as well.

Lightly butter a baking dish and put the zucchini boats in.

Grab a spoon and fill the shells with the mix. Sprinkle some aged cheese on top.

Put them in a preheated oven, give them about 20 minutes and then turn on the grill until the top is golden brown. Sprinkle some coarsely chopped curly leaf parsley (the most underrated herb there is) on top and you’re done.

I love these, they are delicious!

trancedreamer 07-13-2012 09:41 PM

zuchinni is INCREDIBLY versatile! :>

CyndiM 07-14-2012 05:36 AM

In the hot weather I spiral a lot of raw summer squash and use it as the base for salads. People can never figure out what it is :) I love to grill halves of small zucchini, just brushed with a little evoo, Italian vinegar, and spices.

I've been wanting to try this recipe for zucchini cakes

I am a big fan and never get tired of it. I actually dry as much as I can for winter stews too!

WaistingTime 07-14-2012 07:35 AM

I was eating zucchini pizza every day for weeks! Ironically, just as gardens are overflowing, the zucchini in my grocery store is horrible right now.

I also have a recipe for zucchini pancakes that I'd have to dig up, similar to what Cyndi linked but no bread crumbs. I haven't made them in ages. I think it was just shredded zucchini, egg or substitute, and Parmesan. You were supposed to fry them in oil but to be healthier I just did it in a pan misted with some oil.

annie175 07-14-2012 07:49 AM

Check allrecipes.com

jekel383 07-14-2012 10:35 AM

Thank you!!! Cannot wait to try all of them!!!!

CatMat 07-15-2012 04:12 PM

I have a mandoline, and I use the outer part of the Zucchini as a spaghetti substitute. I'm also still working out the recipe for Zucchini chips - every once in a while, I get it just right, and it's a great substitute for potato chips. I've actually done those in the microwave - just be careful to underseason - they lose so much water that it is easy to oversalt them.

EmmaD 07-15-2012 04:18 PM

YUM I made so many things with zucchini last year.

This salad was my favorite, insanely delicious: Baked Feta and Walnut Salad

I worked my way through some of these: Twenty Zucchini Recipes (and since it is Kalyn's Kitchen, most are completely SBD-compliant)

I am curious to try this:

Mock Apple Crisp (the link to the recipe is in the diabetes forum post)

Quote:

Mock Apple Crisp
6 cups peeled and sliced zucchini
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
⅔ cup sweetener, I used 4 Tbsp + 2 tsp Truvia
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
TOPPING:
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup almond flour
¼ cup oat fiber [oat flour? oat bran?]
¼ cup powdered xylitol [other sweetener?]
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup butter [use something SBD-approved]

In medium bowl, combine zucchini, lemon juice, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg until well blended. Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 9-in. baking dish.

For topping, combine pecans, almond flour, oat fiber, sweetener and cinnamon in a bowl then cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the zucchini mixture.

Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Makes 9 servings.

jekel383 07-20-2012 08:16 PM

Zucchini update. Made stuffed zucchini and fooled a friend who thought it was chop meat. I used soy crumbled, sun dried tomatoes, tomatoes from my garden, garlic cloves, S&W and crushed red pepper. Topped with FF mozzarella. Tonight I made Karen's zucchini pizza. Both dishes were awesome. Next week I am going to try Linda's recipe. We are traveling next weekend and since fresh ones from the garden do not require the fridge I p,an on grilling them with yellow squash.

Cyndi how do you dry them? Do you use a dehydrator? do tell please