Good 'n Natural Bars?

• Ok so here I am, being a whiner. I'm 1 week into Ph1 (weigh-in tomorrow) and just went to another of Chris' family's food celebrations (salad, fake burger sans bun, and probably too many black olives for me....) where everyone BUT me ate Texas Sheet Cake, Chocolate Macaroons, Strawberry Pie, some frostingy-grape-sugary confection, and ice cream. (In addition to all the pasta, chips, etc.)

So I see that CVS is having super deals on these Good 'n Natural Bars and I think maybe I should stock up if they're going to be Ph2 friendly. But I'm just unclear on a lot of the ingredients.... here's what's in the chocolate one:

INGREDIENTS: Gluten Free Rolled Oats, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Diced Soynuts, Organic Peanut Butter, Organic Maple
    Syrup, Soy Protein Isolate, Natural Flavors, Dry Pumpkin Seeds, Roasted Almonds, Chopped Walnuts, Natural Cocoa Powder,
    Chicory Root Fiber, Dried Apples, Milled Flaxseeds, Sesame Seeds, Brown Rice Flour, Vegetable Glycerin, Soy Lecithin.

Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Bar (56g), Amount Per
    Serving: Calories 230, Calories from Fat 80, Total Fat 9g (14% DV),
    Saturated Fat 1.5g (7% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV),
    Sodium 35mg (2% DV), Potassium 160mg (5% DV), Total Carbohydrate
    29g (10% DV), Dietary Fiber 5g (20% DV), Sugars 9g, Protein 10g, Vitamin
    A (0% DV), Vitamin C (0% DV), Calcium (4% DV), Iron (10% DV). Percent
    Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Thoughts?
  • I'm thinking no... That brown rice syrup is just like sugar.
  • Ahhh crap, that's what I figured but I just had no clue what it was.
  • 2 of the first 5 ingredients are sugars, definitely a problem waiting to happen. Sorry. I've never had luck with most of those bars, even the marginally allowed type cause me all kind of craving problems. The only brand I can eat are the Gnu brand, maybe because of the fiber and maybe because they just aren't much like desserts. They still may cross the line on allowable ingredients though.
  • Quest bars are YUM, and should be allowed! I'm low carb and I eat them without a blood sugar spike .
  • It was worth a shot. 99 cents at CVS plus BOGO coupons made a yummy sounding deal. Sigh. Oh well.

I really wanted Texas Sheet Cake today... lol
  • I can't keep any bars around. If I have them, I want them. If I eat one, I want another. The only time I get them now is for travel but only if I can't bring a cooler with better snacks. I go for the best combo of high protein, high fiber, low sugar and... low taste. I did try the Gnu blueberry on my last trip for breakfast on the airplane. Too yummy.
  • Anytime a question is asked about bars, I ask myself "Why?"! seems to me they are not necessary and none of them have ever tasted good to me. I guess it's just me. Reading the ingredients really turns me off.
  • In an ideal world I agree about bars and definitely have to watch them myself (can seriously overeat if they are too sweet or dessert-like). However there were plenty of days when I had no time to prep food, no refrigeration, and no idea what the day would be like, and those days I often got by with a Gnu bar and a 100 calorie bag of almonds. Certainly not the best lunch but better than the pizza and other available food. Whenever possible I balanced that with healthy meals on either side. Nowadays I usually have time to prep a smoothie and bought an insulated bottle for them.