Black Bean salsa

• I am thinking about getting some black bean salsa so I can put a tablespoon on my fish or eggs but I am not sure if it is Phase 1 friendly. Here are the ingredients listed:

Crushed and diced tomatoes, water, black beans, onions, green chili peppers, sweet green peppers, distilled vinegar, jalapeno peppers, corn starch, salt, garlic, spices, cilantro.

What do you think? I am concerned about the corn starch but everything else seems fine.
  • Cornstarch has 7 grams of carb per tablespoon (white flours has 6 grams of carbs per tblspn), but more thickening power. According to the corn starch manufacturers you only need half as much cornstarch as flour

copie and pasted from the internet

i'm guessing your salsa wont use that much corn starch and is probably added just to cut down on the fluidity of the water. i think it is safe.
  • I'm sure the amount of cornstarch in a serving would be negligible, so go ahead and enjoy it. It's when cornstarch is listed as one of the first three ingredients that you should be wary.
  • Mmmmmm, sounds delish!
  • Thanks everyone for the help. It is 3 carbs per a 2 tbsp serving (with 1 gram of dietary fiber) according to what it says on the jar so that is not bad in the grand scheme of things but I was more worried about the cornstarch.
    I will try it and see how it goes.
  • remember, South Beach is not a carb limited diet - many of the foods we eat ARE carbs.
  • Quote: remember, South Beach is not a carb limited diet - many of the foods we eat ARE carbs.
    I know but I tend to like to keep my carbs on the low-ish scale with the bulk of them coming from non-starchy vegetables.
  • Quote: Thanks everyone for the help. It is 3 carbs per a 2 tbsp serving (with 1 gram of dietary fiber) according to what it says on the jar so that is not bad in the grand scheme of things but I was more worried about the cornstarch.
    I will try it and see how it goes.
    It's super easy to make salsa and you don't need cornstarch Link.