South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #16  

Height: 5'1.5"

My stomach is actually doing great so far! Jenne I'll definitely check out the recipe section. I looked over some OP threads and there are a lot of things I'd like to try. I wish I could get my hb on SB because I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a huge surplus of food! lol

My mom has pre-diabetes and is supposed to follow a low GI diet and she is very interested in SB so maybe I can donate some of my excess to her.
MissusTaterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

My husband has really grown to love SB. At first, he was pretty skeptical, and certainly not thrilled with the lack of potatoes, or excess of vegetables. But, I've worked hard to find compromises of things we both really enjoy, and so far it is working out great. My trick has been to serve one entree with two different veggie sides, with one usually being a little more substantial or fatty, and the other being pretty simple. For us, it feels like how we grew up eating- a starch, a vegetable, and meat. Now, we just use a veggie substitute for the starch. For example, a super common dinner for us is bbq chicken. cauliflower au gratin, and steamed green beans with garlic. To him, it doesn't feel like "weird diet food" and so he enjoys it. The more he's tried it, the more willing he is to try more. It's taken a year of fairly consistent SB cooking at home, but we've expanded our normal veggie rotation from 3 varieties or so to more than ten, have given up potatoes completely, and really gone pretty grain free.

I love that this plan gives me so much flexibility, and encourages me to be creative. I have learned to love so many vegetables I never would have tried if it hadn't been for SB. And I love that, even without counting anything, my meals seem to naturally fall into a very healthy calorie range.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #18  

Height: 5'1.5"

I love the idea of moving away from grains. My husband is so hooked, though, on bread and starches. He lost about 30-40 pounds himself a few years ago, and has for the most part kept it off, changed his eating habits dramatically, but I still can't see him giving up bread. I could maybe see him switching to whole grains, though, especially if they were homemade. The cauliflower au gratin sounds wonderful; I love cauliflower anyway and au gratin it tastes just like macaroni and cheese!

My daughter is thirteen and has always been a picky eater so it really doesn't make any difference to her. She's used to not liking what I cook. I could be making kale chips and it wouldn't weird her out any more than anything else.

I really do want to make those kale chips.... lol
MissusTaterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

I started today an I agree, I have this uneasy, uncertain feeling that I just can't seem to shake. I feel like I'm not "dieting" if I'm not figuring and counting, plus I feel like I'm cheating what with the cheese and adding mayo to my vinegar on my salad. And it's weirding me out to not eat fruticose one o my usual staples when dieting. I feel like I'm going to gain weight but I sweAR I'm going to stick with it for two weeks and give it a real try. Obvsly my way doesn't work.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

Typing on my iPod. Sorry for the typos.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #21  
Getting back into it

S/C/G: 170/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I also have a house full of picky eaters, but through my diet, discovered that they will eat quinoa! And all sorts of other things. I just got so used to their complaining, that I gave up. Seems they might have been complaining about the same old things over and over again (sometimes).

So, yes - check out the recipes here on 3FC (there are some yummy ideas) and search for South Beach Friendly blogs like Kayln's Kitchen. She believes in South Beach as a lifestyle changer and let's you know after every recipe which phases it is best suited for.

I also have a small frame and a little weight means a lot. But I held on to that notion until recently - need to lose 50 lbs! Somewhere back in time, I tended to need to lose around 25. Ah well. Think I've lost around 20 now.
smarkey is offline   Reply With Quote