3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Allowable Ice Cream (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/251144-allowable-ice-cream.html)

chickadeee55 01-22-2012 04:34 PM

Allowable Ice Cream

Ok, I am not a big fan of artificial sweeteners, actually I don't like them at all.

But what do other Beachies eat if they want to have ice cream once in awhile. I am on P2 and have been for a long time, may just stay here forever.

Any good tasting options out there?

jenne1017 01-22-2012 04:56 PM

I don't mind artificial sweeteners but I buy coconut milk based NSA ice creams - SO Delicious makes some.

CyndiM 01-22-2012 05:52 PM

Those are sweetened with agave, so whether or not it's NSA is a matter of opinion (I've eaten them but I know not everyone is a fan of agave or thinks it should be used on SBD, so just putting it out there). Also check the ingredient list on those, some do actually contain sugar (I think the mint choc chip, cookie dough, etc. the add-ins I'd guess). I agree they are very yummy and the pint sized, expensive containers help with portion control ;)

cottagebythesea 01-22-2012 06:38 PM

I HAVE to have my occasional ice cream fix, and I always buy No Sugar
Added, 1/2 the Fat ice cream. I know they are made with artificial sweeteners, but they don't seem to bother me, and it satisfies my craving.

jenne1017 01-23-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyndiM (Post 4183721)
Those are sweetened with agave, so whether or not it's NSA is a matter of opinion (I've eaten them but I know not everyone is a fan of agave or thinks it should be used on SBD, so just putting it out there). Also check the ingredient list on those, some do actually contain sugar (I think the mint choc chip, cookie dough, etc. the add-ins I'd guess). I agree they are very yummy and the pint sized, expensive containers help with portion control ;)

I only buy the vanilla or chocolate flavors for that reason - anything that sounds good (the amaretto cherry makes me :T ) has added ick. Again, it's what suits you. I am NOT a huge fan of ice cream but will occasionally buy it as a dessert. It doesn't cause me to binge and I can keep to a serving and it doesn't cause me cravings

TwynnB 01-23-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenne1017 (Post 4184127)
I only buy the vanilla or chocolate flavors for that reason - anything that sounds good (the amaretto cherry makes me :T ) has added ick. Again, it's what suits you. I am NOT a huge fan of ice cream but will occasionally buy it as a dessert. It doesn't cause me to binge and I can keep to a serving and it doesn't cause me cravings

WOW...wish I were you!! Portion control is SO HARD in ice cream. And then not eating it night after night until it's gone....

WannaBeLoserAgain 01-23-2012 07:26 AM

I have been eating ice cream every night. Portion control is the key! That is why, I have bought ice cream cones. Ice cones will limit the portion. I go for a 1/2 cup of ice cream and try to get the calories under 150. I do like the 1/2 fat off ice cream.

cottagebythesea 01-23-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeLoserAgain (Post 4184261)
I have been eating ice cream every night. Portion control is the key! That is why, I have bought ice cream cones. Ice cones will limit the portion. I go for a 1/2 cup of ice cream and try to get the calories under 150. I do like the 1/2 fat off ice cream.

Ice cream cones are a definite no-no on the SBD. :no:

WaistingTime 01-23-2012 08:17 AM

I've had Artic Freeze a couple of times. I am guessing it has ingredients that are not on plan. But it is very low calorie and has not triggered any cravings for me and is just good enough to satisfy but not good enough to crave. If that makes sense.

Try freezing banana slices and then putting them in the food processor or blender to make "ice cream." You can add stuff like peanut butter for flavor. I'm sure you'll find lots of recipes if you do an internet search. Also, the chocolate "milkshake" with ricotta is a good substitute.

CyndiM 01-23-2012 08:24 AM

I forgot the homemade totally on plan versions! I made one with frozen strawberries and Greek yogurt in my handy dandy VitaMix. It was amazing, fruity soft serve. I think I added 1/4 banana for sweetness.

Ruthxxx 01-23-2012 12:53 PM

Hey! Just remembered we have a recipe. Here it is!

jenne1017 01-23-2012 12:59 PM

Sounds good Cyndi. May try it! and the Zip loc version too!

Twynn - sweet is not a downfall for me (unless it's in candy form). I've had a tub of NSA ice cream in the freezer for 2.5 weeks and have only had 2 servings. Weird right?

Now popcorn, rice chips, etc...those are my downfall. The pretzels though are still there and only 1 serving has been had!

CyndiM 01-23-2012 01:03 PM

I bought some NSA low fat ice cream that was buy 1 get 1. Big mistake. Much as I love a bargain I just can't have two half gallons of ice cream in the house.

chickadeee55 01-23-2012 04:53 PM

I bought some Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom ice cream bars. Not bad, but don't know how good they are for me.

I think I almost remember reading in the SB book, that if you are going to have ice cream, eat the real stuff, the fat will help slow down the digestion and it will be better for you. Any one read something like that.

Kslosingit 01-24-2012 10:12 AM

Chickadee- I also remember reading in the old SB book that if you want ice cream, you should just have the real thing. I can't find it in the newer book, and I gave away my old one. I remember he said to have it very, very occasionally, but I don't remember the reasoning behind choosing real sugar over artificial in this case.