South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1  

Default Putting my toes in the water :)

Hi to all. I'm putting my toes in the water in your community. I have done SBD years ago. I find myself in need of some help and I'm hoping you will be able to provide it.

I have the original book (and have reread it within the last week), and a few of the cookbooks. I'm wondering if the new Supercharged book is worth the purchase. I took a peek at B&N today, but it seems like it is geared for Boomers and has added exercise. Am I correct? If so, I think I'd rather put my money in some more cookbooks for variety.

As to the personal stuff, I'm someone who works lots of hours, married to a great guy, mom of 1, and working on adding in exercise into my lifestyle. (in a real, daily, consistent way rather than the current method.)

Looking forward to some great information and conversation.

Last edited by Cheerful; 01-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Cheerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Hi Cheerful! I haven't read the Supercharged book either. One of the important differences is the updated food list -- and it's on this site. You can even save your money for something more exciting that cookbooks. There are great recipes here, too.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #3  

Location: South Beacher...In the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Height: 5'9

Welcome!

I too am a SB veteran, know the plan well and am back to lose what I have slowly managed to put on over the last year, due to my own getting lazy in my WOE...

I have the original SBD book and all Dr. A's cookbooks. I chose not to purchase the supercharged book, as it for me was much of what I already knew and exercise programs that I know I would not stick too! Just being honest.
For me, that was the first thing in getting back in the program here...cleaning up my WOE back to clean SB and deciding on some exercise that I can do...walking my dog every single day for 45 minutes. It may not be the best exercise for lookin' hot and muscular, but I know I can do it and I enjoy it!

Hope you get the support you need. Has been a long time since I was a regular here, so I too am trying to step in and just get with the flow!
Happy New Year!

Last edited by mlmagic; 01-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.
mlmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #4  

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I have looked at the recipes here. I'm just the sort of cook that needs the book. (Isn't that funny, because I am a techie type of person in so many areas of life save that of cooking!).

I hope we all reach our goals!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome I haven't bought a cookbook in years, thanks to the internet.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Cheerful!

Why not print out some recipes and bind them yourself if you need the feel of a book? The recipes here are SO MUCH BETTER than those in the books (and some are the same recipe, only spruced up by our own additions thanks to tastebuds!)
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back on board, Cheerful!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have the original book for reference and checked the Supercharged book out of the library. Of course, Supercharged had the updated food lists, but that can be found right here. I read through the exercise info but it wasn't anything I thought I would do, either. Once I got all the food lists memorized the original book just sits on my bookshelf. I can find everything I need right here.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerful View Post
I'm just the sort of cook that needs the book. (Isn't that funny, because I am a techie type of person in so many areas of life save that of cooking!).
That's so funny, I love my computer and even get most of my recipes from the internet these days but I still collect cookbooks. I buy those little post-it tags and have them all over the books with recipes I'm going to try when I need a new idea
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #10  

Yeah, I definitely have a cookbook collection. Love the idea of binding them from here. After having made the Creamy Cauliflower Soup and finding it inedible (think onion flavored water with no amount of seasoning able to redeem it), I am seriously going to be recipe shopping on here tonight.

However, I did make it through day one without caving at the big lunch event at work. Literally chewed ice cubes and celery (the only 2 things at the place even remotely SBD approved) for lunch until I could return to my office for my celery and cheesestick snack (could have had the soup too, but elected to skip it).

Thanks for the help and welcome. I think this will be a great source of help--who knows, maybe I can contribute something too.