Advise for a Plateau?

• My friend and I started SB in Sept. She started dieting ahead of me in July and is down 35 pounds. She has been stuck hovering around 175 for over a month and is getting frustrated. She is exercising and seems to be fairly on plan. Does anyone have thoughts on how to shake off this plateau?
  • She may be losing inches. This happened to me, i lost pounds and then it stopped for a while. On advise of others I started to check my measurements and noticed that i was losing inches...which was fine by me. Then after about 5 weeks the weight started dropping again. Sometimes your body just needs time to shift and rearrange itself Also changing up workout routines helps so your body doesnt get in a rut.
  • Also, what does fairly on plan mean? Cheating can catch up to one and makes a difference between maintaining and continually losing. Eating 3 servings of cheese a day or more than a certain number of fruits or grains, or larger servings of protein can also make a big difference. She may just have to tweak her portion sizes. Have her journal her food choices for a few days to see what she is really eating.
  • Change up the exercise, that broke my plateau.
  • Sometimes our bodies adapt and it helps to mix up not only the exercise but also what we are eating. I have found success in the past by varying my intake over the course of a week and having lighter days and then a heavier (but still on plan) day then lighter, etc. I learned this from Weight Watchers years ago.
  • The main reason (IMO) people plateau is one (or both) of two things:

1. As you lose weight, you need fewer calories to maintain your weight so the calories that would have once caused you to lose X amount weight now no longer do that. Also, your metabolism slows so you burn fewer calories. Solution: Eat fewer calories.

2. After being on a weight loss plan for awhile it is easy to lose intensity and not be as strict at following the plan. It is easy to eat a little more, eat foods you wouldn't have eaten before, etc. It is easy not to watch portions as carefully and to just overall be sloppy. This tends to be a huge reason for plateaus. Solution: Follow the plan like you did at the beginning (adjusting for fewer calories as noted above).
  • Thanks, everyone! I shared your ideas with my friend. She read up on calorie cycling and adding weights, too. We've been focusing more on cardio, like Zumba, elliptical and walking/running.