South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #1  

Default Starting again after baby

Hi everyone!

On October 15th my son was born!!!!! He is an angel, I have never been happier in my life!!!!

I have gained 16 pounds that I want to lose. However, I am still recovering from my c-section and I can't work out for 4 more weeks. I was thinking to start with Phase two for the time being and lose 1-2 pounds and when I get the OK from my OB/GYN to move to phase 1 to lose the rest. What do you think? Will this work ? Or is it a bad idea to shift between phases?

I must add that I can't eat starch due to an allergy. The only "starchy" foods I can eat is fruit and legumes in small portions. I gained the pounds cause I was constantly craving sugar and full fat cheeses during pregnancy and I ate huge amounts
zenia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, Zenia, and CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby boy! I moved your post into the regular part of our forum so more people will see it and respond.

If you are breastfeeding, starting on Phase 2 is recommended. But otherwise, I would suggest doing Phase 1 to help get rid of those cravings. I hope you have read the book and understand the concepts of this plan. We have lots of info here, but the book explains the diet in detail, and is also a good read.

Good luck, and we look forward to getting to know you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Congratulations!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Hi Zenia, and welcome! Whether you are bf is very important. Honestly I'd give yourself a full six weeks (end of Nov.) to fully recover before you start making any changes...but you can certainly read the book and make shopping lists etc. until then. Plus, starting right before Thanksgiving might be setting yourself up for going off plan right away.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Welcome and congratulations!

I agree with MMcKellen, I would give yourself the full 6 weeks - especially if you are breastfeeding. Your body needs that time to recover, but also to build a stable milk supply.

I would start with phase 2 to ensure that you aren't affecting your supply.

I breastfed and did phase 2 and was really frustrated because the weight wasn't moving very quickly. I've had friends in similar situations and seems that breastfeeding tells our bodies to hold onto a bit of fat. Don't give up if things aren't moving quickly, just keep on plan and exercising and eventually, the scale will move.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Low calorie dieting is not recommended at all for the first 6 weeks post-partum, but especially if you had a C-section. Full Phase II is pretty much a healthy diet for most of us to be following, so I see nothing wrong with eating this way now. It's basically cutting out processed foods and sugar and eating only whole grains vs. the white ones. All 4 food groups are well represented. I don't see any reason why you couldn't eat this way. If you are nursing you want to make sure you get at least 2000 calories and your hunger is satisfied. If you only have 16# to lose, give yourself a little more time before you even worry about it. Your baby is not that old and your body is still adjusting. You can always go on Phase I later if you're not nursing and are having cravings. I wouldn't expect a huge loss on Phase I anyway if you don't have much to lose. If your OB is not knowledgeable about SB they probably won't endorse Phase I.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #7  

Thank you all for your replies!

Unfortunately I am not breastfeeding. I didn't have enough milk for my greedy little baby (he eats 24oz milk daily!!!)

I read the book when I was pregnant; I also read every question in this forum and I believe I have fully understood the plan. My only fear is that looking at my postpartum body will make feel bad and feeling bad usually leads to eating sugar...

Anyway, I will begin with Phase 2 until I get the OK to start working out again. Maybe I will be lucky and lose 1-2pounds until then
zenia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

These wonderful ladies have given you great advice. Congratulations on your new little one. Anytime you start to feel bad about your postpartum body, you look at that little miracle of yours and remember that he is SO worth the 16 pounds that you will eventually lose.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Zenia! Yes, do allow yourself to heal - Phase II will do that. We'd love to see a baby picture or two.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote