South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #1  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Default A Fresh Start On The Beach ...

After a very long absence from 3FC, I finally feel like I'm in the right frame of mind to make a new start.

About a year ago, I did purchase many of the South Beach Diet cookbooks with the full intention of getting started on the plan. However, things didn't quite go to plan for one reason or another. I did make a start on Phase 1, and things went quite well initially, but unfortunately, due to certain circumstances, I didn't manage to progress any further.

Anyway, I'm back now and feeling very excited and motivated about starting the SBD. Today is Day 1 of Phase 1, and I fully intend to make this plan work for me this time!

Looking forward to getting lots of helpful hints and advice from all the other South Beachers on this site!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/180/159

Height: 5'4"

Hi FIHK! I started up earlier this year (or maybe end of last year) and it didn't work out for me. However, I'm fully committed this time around and I'm on my third week of phase one (I extended it due to a "mishap" last week haha)

I was just wondering if living in Hong Kong makes things difficult for you? I live in Dubai and it's hard sometimes because we don't get all of the products that are readily available in the states. I have to substitute some stuff.
skinnyinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #3  

Hi Skinnyinthedesert,

Yes, it's the same problem here in Hong Kong that we don't get all the products we idealy need for South Beach. Fat free and low fat products are particularly hard to come by, such as cheeses, sour cream, yogurt, etc, and also low/no sugar products. You do see them sometimes, if you're lucky, or if you happen to go grocery shopping just as a delivery has arrived from overseas!! ... And you manage to snap up a few items before everyone else does! They're also very expensive!

However, I won't be letting that put me off!! I'm sure I'll find something to substitute for certain things. The fridge and freezer are now well stocked with salad, veggies, fish & chicken, so hopefully I'll be able to find something to satisfy me and keep me on track!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Nichola!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 10-24-2011 at 06:40 AM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Nchola

The great thing about South Beach is it really can be done without specialty products. It's nice to have an NSA fudgecicle now and then but we don't need those things to follow the plan. f you can get lean protein, fruits and veggies, and nsa dairy and beans you can make it work. The rf dairy is a YMMV thing (your mileage may vary). Dr. A does recommend them for heart health reasons. Some of that research is changing though, so who knows if that will continue. Many of us also find we need to watch our cheese portions because too much can slow loss. If you can find feta and/or goat cheese those are usually have the same numbers here as rf cheese and you get all that extra flavor. Over here ff dairy is often a bad idea because it's loaded with starchy fillers. Avoiding added sugar is the biggest thing n Phase 1. You can do this
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome back
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back to 3FC and welcome to our SBD forum! I lived in HK many years ago...still miss it.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Welcome back! Seems like you are on the right track this time!!!

jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #9  

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

CyndiM, I've just read your story ... what an inspiration you are! I hope I can write a similar story this time next year!

Lexxiss, how long ago were you living in Hong Kong? We've been here for 11 years now, thought we'd be here for a couple of years, but looks like we'll be here until hubby retires! Not that I'm complaining ... love the place!!

Well, Day 1 of Phase 1 went very well ... now for Day 2
Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Nichola, I lived there for 1 1/2 years, 76-77, attending my first year of college and living with my bro. I've been back many times since, the last time in 97 just before the turnover. It's my favorite place and I still miss it.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #11  

Wow, Debbie, there must have been a lot of changes since you first came to Hong Kong in the 70's! We first visited in '98, just after the handover. Strangely enough, at that time, I said to my hubby that I'd really enjoyed visiting HK, but I'd never want to live there!! And here I still am after 11 years!LOL The place kind of grows on you!