South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #1  

Default new here :) starting on a short phase 1 plan

Hi, I'm new to this board but not to SBD. I tried it over a year ago and lost around 15lbs. I've been able to maintain that but I'm looking to lose more. A reasonable and healthy goal is anywhere from 10-15lbs.

I know Phase 1 is important for SBD however I had zero energy and felt horrible the entire 2 weeks the first time I tried it. I'm thinking of only doing Phase 1 for 1 week then slowly introducing carbs and fruit after that. I've started the C25K plan and I know it will be hard for me to get the energy I need during the first two weeks. I'm hoping the one week will curb my sugar cravings but won't make me feel as terrible as I did last time.
lildaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/180/159

Height: 5'4"

hi!

What were you eating when you tried it last time? I tried this diet (dipped my feet in) for like 5 days at the beginning of the year, but I didn't take it seriously. And I ate based on the meal plans in the book. I was SOO hungry all the time and it didn't help with my cravings at all.

This time, I've made some of the recipes on this forum and they keep me full for much longer. My cravings are nearly gone (I gave away candy today and didn't eat my favorite bread and fries. I wanted to, but I wasn't CRAVING it, if that makes sense!)

Anyway, I definitely recommend looking up some of the recipes, they help a lot! Good luck!!
skinnyinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

I've done the c25k program, love it! Good luck!! I must have been lucky because I've avoided the SB "flu". Everyone says beans although I didn't eat a lot, just cause im not a fan. I always have my 2 cups dairy a day and the required amounts of veggies, fats, etc. You can do it!
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'1 1/2"

I too am new. I read the books, got a cookbook and have read here for a couple of weeks. We started yesterday, Monday, this is what we had..
B - eggs/egg sub with scallions and tomatoes (my DH had FF cheese on his)
S - 1/2 cup cottage cheese
L - slices turkey, sliced cucumber w/ hummus
D - 4oz lean ground beef cooked in little meat loafs w/chopped onion, sweet pepper and zucchini, garlic powder, salt and pepper with egg sub to hold together. Heart of palm salad with artichoke pieces and pimento for color, from SB recipe, and sliced tomato, steamed cauliflower w/Chinese 5 spice

Today, Tuesday we had the

B - bean cake from SB recipe...with a poached egg and a slice of Canadian bacon, sliced tomato. (love the bean cake)
S - 1/4 cup FF yogurt
L - cucumber slices with hummus, slice of turkey, 2 teas peanut butter
D - will be lean pork loin chop, grilled; the heart of palm salad and remainder of the cauliflower to which I will add some green beans.

I would love to see what others on Phase one are eating!! My DH is eating on the diet with me, his portions are bigger....he doesn't have to lose weight but it supportive!
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #5  

@ Jerseygiirl...what is the 25k thingy?????
Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #6  
I think I can...

Oh Good luck on your C25K I only lasted 3 weeks lol. Maybe I'll give it another try.
@ Pinktoes it's an interval running program designed to allow the (serious) user to go from couch potato to being able to run a 5K in 9 weeks.
Good luck on your modified phase 1! In the book he says if you have little or no cravings for sugar or carbs that it's perfectly acceptable to start at phase 2.
I needed it because I'm a carb junkie! Welcome to the board everyone here is great.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

lildaisies and pinktoes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #8  

Good luck on Phase 1! I'm on day 9 (woo hoo only 5 days left) and was having a horrible time the first few days - I defenitly wasn't eating enough. I read what someone said on here and it really helped, "if you're hungry - eat!". I was worried about eating too much but after I started incorporating more snacks and eating more at meals, I felt MUCH better.

Some foods that have saved me are Almond meal pancakes (look in the Almond Meal thread) although some advise against because it may not help with reducing "bready" cravings, and Fudgecicles. I religiously have one every night and it takes away my sweet tooth!

And I LOVE the idea of the c25k! I never heard of it so looked it up and yes! Starting this today!!
boriqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
@ Jerseygiirl...what is the 25k thingy?????
I'm not Jerseygirl, but I'm going to answer since I'm here. C25K stands for Couch 2 5K. The premise is that is you build up little by little, you can go from being a couch potato to running a 5K. You'll have to google it to get the specifics, but it's a 9 week (I think that's right) program. The first week you start off jogging for 60 seconds then walking for 90 seconds...second week it's 90 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking and so on and so forth. You'll ALWAYS start off w/ a brisk 5 minute walk just to get warmed up. It helps build up your stamina slowly. Hope that helps!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

Thanks guys for answering. I did it and even ran a 5k a few months ago. It was a huge accomplishment that I will always remember. For someone who didn't run at all, it really can get you to do a 5k. Ps, I haven't ran since. Lol!
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #11  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

take a look at the meal plan thread to get ideas (I did Ph 1 starting on July 1).
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome, lildaisies and pinktoes!

One thing that helped me with energy for cardio, IMO, in PH1 was eating beans.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #13  

Thanks for the answers to my question re: the 25 thingy! I have to pass on that as I fractured my back 5 years ago and running is completely out for me. Not that I ever liked to run!! LOL And thanks for the welcome.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #14  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

RE C25K: I completed it two years ago - WHAT an accomplishment! I felt great afterwards. But like jerseygiirl, I didn't continue running after I managed to run 5K. If I did it again (which I constantly consider) I would have a plan in place for what I am going to do after the program. What is so great is that it has a structure with a *schedule*. In my case, I started late enough in the year that I had to be on schedule every week to finish by the end of the year (Week9, Day3 was on December 31!! I had to go early because the gym was closing for New Years Eve ). I still can't believe I did it. It was suuuuch a great feeling.

In the last two years, I have used the Week1 or Week2 schedule to do interval runs/sprints. I have an app for my iPod so I can use my own music (I am weird in that I have used the exact same music for running for years & years.)

Best of luck to you! I think it is a GREAT program!!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #15  

Thanks everyone!
lildaisies is offline   Reply With Quote