3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Butternut squash, what do you suggest? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/244582-butternut-squash-what-do-you-suggest.html)

jerseygiiirl 10-05-2011 12:14 PM

Butternut squash, what do you suggest?

I'm posting from my phone as both our pc's are out of comish! If someone can point me to their favorite butternut squash recipe, it would really help me out! I'm thinking a soup.

Thanks mucho!

CyndiM 10-05-2011 02:14 PM

There are some great recipes in the Phase 2 lists above. I know there's a lasagna recipe lots of people like along with the Morrocan Taginne we were all trying a few weeks ago. I'm sure there's others :)

cottagebythesea 10-06-2011 06:30 AM

Here's my recipe for a delicious and very easy soup -

In a large saucepan, saute some onion and garlic in a little chicken broth til soft (I use Imagine No-Chicken broth)
Toss in your squash, cut in 1 1/2 - 2" chunks
Pour in enough broth to cover squash about an inch
Bring to a gentle boil and let it simmer until squash is soft
Add in a rinsed and drained can of white beans and let them heat
Then remove from heat and puree the soup with an immersion blender
Viola! Enjoy!

Sometimes I add in some mushrooms with the onions if I have them on hand.

rukiddingme 10-06-2011 06:58 AM

I love roasting it.

I just peel it an cut it into 1 inch cubes and spread it out on a cookie sheet drizzle it with olive oil sprinkle it with a little salt, pepper and dried rosemary and roast it at 425 for about 15-20 minutes.

It really brings out the sweetness and the longer you cook it the more it caramelizes. Yummy!

EmmaD 10-06-2011 12:57 PM

I learned about butternut squash mac & cheese on this forum a couple of years ago. I found this recipe from Martha Stewart and tweaked it to make it Beach-friendly: ww or brown rice elbows, ww bread crumbs, more ricotta/add cottage cheese to add protein... plus (as I just posted in the Fabulous Foods section), I microwave the whole squash first - poked MANY times deeply, then on high 10-15 minutes until soft - instead of peeling and cubing a hard raw squash. I get many requests to make this, it is quite delicious and comfort food-y.

I posted my tweaks here, just ignore the spaghetti squash substitution for pasta, it was something I was experimenting with (comes out almost like a dessert that way!).

mmmm, now I want to make this! The lasagna and soup ideas sound good too. I have to go pick my squashes now :)

EmmaD 10-06-2011 01:00 PM

oooh, here is the Moroccan Tagine recipe. It DOES sound good!

I need all the winter squash recipes I can get...

mzKiki 10-07-2011 10:33 AM

It's also Great peeled, tossed with EVOO and baked great french fry swap.
Hungry Girl has a lot of squash recipes.

Riemontana 10-08-2011 10:01 AM

I cut and seed it, then bake cut side down for about 30 minutes. This makes it really easy to peel and cut. Cut it into cubes and drizzle with a little SF maple syrup and nutmeg or pumkin pie spice. Yummy! It is really nice in individual ramekins.

jerseygiiirl 10-08-2011 05:02 PM

O M G! I just baked it tossed in some olive oil and wow! I have been missing out! Question, how the heck do you cut them. I gave up and figured I wouldn't like it anyway so baked only a little bit and trashed the rest. So hard to cut!

Riemontana 10-08-2011 06:13 PM

Jersey,

That's why I pre-bake. It is really easy to cut and peel then. When it is partially cooked, the knife just slides through

CyndiM 10-08-2011 06:18 PM

I just use a vegetable peeler for the skin then slice it up. I haven't had much trouble with them so far.

jerseygiiirl 10-08-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 4063635)
Jersey,

That's why I pre-bake. It is really easy to cut and peel then. When it is partially cooked, the knife just slides through

Ahhhhh, that would work!!! Thanks!

jenne1017 10-08-2011 08:51 PM

it's hard to cut for me too but I just use a good knife OR buy it precut :)

evilwomaniamshe 10-08-2011 09:05 PM

RE: cutting into a squash. Any squash I normally just wash the squash & then toss the whole honkin squash in the microwave & nuke the sucker whole for about 6 minutes & then you can cut easily into it, discard the seeds & continue to cook it in microwave or bake in oven. Easy breezy & oh so yummy! :)

rukiddingme 10-09-2011 05:29 PM

I use a vegetable peeler and then I yell "honey could you help me please" then my husband cuts it up for me...my hero. ;)