South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #1  

Default Lost weight by eating an extra grain/starch serving?

This is so weird. I really didnt do anything else but since Friday I lost 2 1/2 pounds. I've had a crazy couple of days - Friday I had a 1/2 cup quinoa with a veg chili i made for lunch and then for dinner I had some left over brown rice - sounds weird but I decided to make a risotto out of it because my husband really wanted a starch with his meal. Well I tasted it to see how it was and it was soooo good I had one svg - 1/2 cup.

Then yesterday we were really busy and on the run and he wanted to stop in Panera - I was sooo hungry I gave in, but I just asked them to put a couple of slices of turkey with only a bit of onion on half a slice of whole wheat bread.

For dinner I was really too busy to cook and i had the left over 1/2 cup brown rice risotto with a ton of steamed veg.

Normally I have been keeping it at one starch a day but for the last two days have had two each day and then today I get on the scale and lost 2 1/2 pounds! I didnt expect that! I'm not complaining. Just wondering if maybe I should be at 2 a day.

has anyone had this happen - that when you added something more into your diet it helped with the weight loss. Not that its exactly a problem! lol
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Everyone's body is different and sometimes mixing it up like that really does help! I personally wouldn't keep up with that much starch, maybe go back down and see what happens and then in a week or two try it again. The body uses carbohydrates for energy, so maybe your body was in search of fuel and used it all up as soon as it hit! Unfortunately I have been eating sweets for the past week or so and my scale has gone about 2 1/2 lbs in the other direction... I blame TOM...
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I had a similar thing happen to me this weekend - I've upped the beans and lentils and lowered veggies (not purposefully, just haven't had any in the house) and I've lost another 1.5 since Friday!

My body responds to mixing it up (which is why I throw in a day or two of Ph 1 at least once a month). Don't look a gift horse in the mouth But I agree with Katie - don't keep it up with the starches...
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #4  

Interesting. Sounds about right though. If the one svg a day was working I should just stick to that plan. It's like exercising..we reach a plateau and then change things up a bit and weight loss continues.

I guess as fooled my body for a day but it cant be that stupid so back to one serving per day for me! lol Thanks for the replies!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #5  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

it all depends on calories in verse calories out.. sounds like you didnt over indulge...
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't think you fooled your body, because I don't think the extra servings of bread had much if anything at all to do with the weight loss. I think if you had not done anything differently at all, you would have received the exact same weight loss. I think the timing of the loss was just coincidence.

Sorry to be graphic, but just one source of variability is the weight of the food you eat (which can vary from day to day). It can take anywhere from 1 to three days for food to move through your system (more if you're constipated), so it's possible that the extra fiber in the starch got things moving - or possibly for no other reason than coincidence.

Because of the way weight naturally fluctuates, you can't conclude that the extra serving of bread or even "changing it up" had anything to do with the weight loss at all, because our bodies don't work on a one day or even weekly schedule. What you see on the scale today isn't usually a result of what you did yesterday or three days ago, or even necessarily the last week.

Expecting today's results to be an effect of yesterday or even last week's behavior, can lead to false conclusions (and even superstitious rituals).

The only way to see true patterns is by food journaling, and even then you need to look for big patterns, not daily and perhaps not even weekly patterns.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote