South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #1  

Default New here from Atkins

Hello everyone! I do feel like a traitor but... my body just wasnt happy!

I started SBD on Monday and wanted to introduce myself.
I was on Atkins for about three months. I didnt do to well on it, not that I cheated and I did everything by the book perfectly but I guess it just wasnt right for my body. I did get something great out of it though. I have something called food dependnet exercise induced anaphylaxis. I couldnt eat anything for 8-9 hours prior to any exercise (including walking at amoderate pace!) I had it for about 5 years and really piled the weight because I got tired of being taken to the ER with my throat closing up!

When i started on the atkins and cut the wheat I noticed i was not having any more outbreaks. After research it shows that one of the big triggers of this is wheat!! Cut the wheat and I am fine - I was so excited and really enjoying working out again.

I was working iwth under 30 grams of carb a day and really just felt tired and losing very slowly and fighting with the same 2 pounds for the last month. I just felt it wasnt giving my body everything I needed.

After looking at the SBD and reading up in it it really sounds like a sound and healthy plan. So here I am - and I have lost 3 pounds since Monday!! I feel so much more energetic because I am eating more carbs by way of legumes and the bit of nuts we are allowed and more veggies and V8! I tracked on fitday and I was up to about 60 g of carb the last couple of days but hey it feels great and it seems to be working.

I did get the book and keep reading through that but I know having a board like this to turn to for advise with people who have personal experiences will be the thing to help me most!

Have a great evening!
Susan
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Susan! We're happy to have you here, and it sounds like you are well prepared to make this plan work.

Good luck, and we hope to see you around often!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Yes, good carbs are good See you around!

Last edited by jenne1017; 08-25-2011 at 10:01 AM.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #4  

Hi Susan. Welcome! I am new here too.

I could never stick to Atkins; I love my veggies too much and they are so limited on Atkins. Also, I've been dieting most of my life and counting up numbers (carb grams or calories) is no way to live. I just can't do it anymore.

I am really enjoying South Beach. Which book do you have? I bought the original which is great for getting the history of the diet and the reasoning behind it. Plus I'm a sucker for success stories, and that book is loaded with them. But I also bought the newer book South Beach Diet Supercharged. The food list is updated and it is just an overall excellent book. I really recommend it, since it's the most updated version.

I hear what you say about wheat. I myself cannot eat wheat or any form of gluten. I was so surprised to learn that Dr. Agatston has a new book coming out in October (The South Beach Wake Up Call) where he talks about gluten and inflammation in the body. My skin cleared up a lot too when I stopped eating wheat and gluten. I think Dr. Agatston is one of the few doctors out there with his pulse on current nutrition. I can't wait for that book!

Welcome. I think you'll love this way of eating. I already do!
bkofmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome, Susan. I never heard of such a thing!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #6  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Susan!

I had to google your condition - wow! Overcoming that kind of challenge to lose weight is such an inspiration! Until SBD I had associated carbs with bread/wheat, but really there is such a major distinction between the two, and that is what Dr. A really focuses on: the "good carbs" (ie, vegetables and whole grains). It seems like you are really in tune with your body and are on the right track! Great job and welcome!
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Welcome to the beach! This is a great place to be! And yes, not all carbs are bad! They are very important and a major source of energy for our bodies! Hope to see you around often!
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #8  

You are all awsome! Thanks so much for the support! I have the SBD Recharged - I actually have the e-book. I like to be able to search for things as I have questions.

I am still tracking on fitday just out of curiosity being so attuned to doing so for Atkins. But I have to say so far i like SB much more and its a lot easier, healthier and I'll probably stop with the fitday soon -its just too time-consuming.

Yes what i have is rare...figures Id be one of the ones to get it. Its all good though, i figured out the trigger and now the best way of eating for me with SBD. So I have 80 pounds to lose as of today...and Im just going to take it one pound at a time. Now to go have fun with the recipes you all have shared for phase I!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

I'm excited for the new book! I also have the SBD Taste of Summer Cookbook and that has a lot of good recipes in it, as well.
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote