South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/194/125

Height: 5'6

Unhappy I GAINED weight..?

So I really need some advice or some kind of.. something here. I started SBD on Sunday and it's only Tuesday. I've been making sure I exercise every day, drink only water (started cutting out my sodas last week, had my last one on this past Friday), and have been keeping on point with phase 1. The problem? I've gained 5lbs over the course of 3 days. Is this normal..? I've never had that sharp of a weight increase before so I'm confused and worried.

As a side edit- It's not my TOM and I'm not pregnant. I do have PCOS which is why I'm looking at reformatting my carb/starch intake, but 5lbs over 3 days is still a lot for me.

Last edited by JasmineTea; 08-23-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Changed font.
JasmineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #2  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

I can barely read your font..................
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #3  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

First of all, how much water are you drinking per day (especially if that is the only thing you are now drinking)? Secondly, how about your salt intake?

Until we know more, my advise is to stick it out the full 2 weeks and pay attention to (A) your cravings/ability to resist temptation, and (B) how your clothes fit and how you feel in general.

Good luck, and keep going! Don't worry - stress makes you gain weight
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

can you post a typical menu? that way we can help you maybe pinpoint it?
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Weight fluctuates so much so often that I try not to take anything seriously unless it is my "official" weigh in. Now that I'm a few months in I only "officially" weigh myself on my wii fit a few times a month. I have a scale in my bathroom (the kind with the needle that points to a number) that I probably weigh myself eight times a day on, just to watch the fluctuations. The best time of day to weigh is first thing in the morning (or whatever time of day you wake up), after you "void" (go to the bathroom), and in your pajamas (or nude, if you prefer). Weight can fluctuate many lbs in a day, so don't get hung up over the numbers if you are doing everything right! Eventually you will see a move in the right direction!
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with posting your menu including serving sizes. My first guess is too much sodium though.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Are you sore at all? What caught my eye in your post is that you have started exercising. Chances are your muscles my have extra fluid in them right now. They do that in the beginning of new exercise as a way to repair but eventually it goes away.

Also, how much have you gone poop since beginning. It could be that your body may be holding on to poop more because of the radical change in your diet--just a thought.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/149/140

Height: 5/9"

I just started last week, and didn't poop for the first four days!! Once I started pooping again, I felt much better, and started losing weight as well
southmplsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I know it's gross and improper to speak about--but it's really amazing the weight that can get caught up in all the backed up BM's!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 194/194/125

Height: 5'6

Hi all, thanks for the responses. Here is my food diary for Sunday:

Breakfast: 1 omlette (2 eggs, whites only.) with tomato slice
1 serving of silk soymilk (light, original)

Snack: 1 serving of almonds

Lunch: Turkey roll-up (serving of low-fat turkey lunch meat wrapped in
lettuce and 1 serving of chopped tomatoes)
1 reduced fat mozzerella string cheese
Bottle of water

Snack: 1 sugar free popsicle

Dinner: 1 serving of salmon (grilled with 2 tbsp evoo)
2 servings of steamed broccoli (no sauce/butter/cheese)
bottled water

Then if needed I sip water throughout the day since I get easily dehydrated and I'm in Florida so it's easy to do =x First time doing SBD so this may or may not be a good food rotation. I try to watch my portions and aside from my regular meal times I haven't been hungry. Exercise has been for 45-60 mins each night. I have fibromyalgia so I do the elliptical for 10 mins then take a 5 min break. I do that 2-3 times then do about 15 mins of strength training to try and firm up a little. Of course, I drink water when I work out. To answer everyone's questions, BMs are "normal" for me. So confused..
JasmineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

For me, your breakfast is too low in calories. I'm not a big fan of "whites only", since then there's not as much to fill you up.

SBD recommends 1/2 c. veggies with breakfast, then 2c. each with lunch and dinner. Your diet is way low in veggies for SBD. Your overall calories are pretty low too. Have you read the book? Dig around here a bit, you'll learn a lot and probably be a lot happier with the diet!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good advice, Jasmine. By the way, please change your font size. Some of us older folks have a hard time reading it.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #13  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I am not going to pretend to have any answers for you about the weight gain (sorry! wish I did) but here's what I noticed diet-wise.

First, Silk light soymilks have added sugar (unless there is a sugar free light one I don't know about). I have fallen for this trap many, MANY times - I always expect the plain ones to be, well, PLAIN. Why soy milk has to be sweet is beyond me.

Second, like TwynnB said, the SBD goal is to aim for 4.5 cups of veggies per day. Yep, that's a lot. Many of us around here are not hitting that mark but it's a good goal.

Third, I did a quick check with FitDay, obviously estimating based on what you said but it came up at 987 calories, and that is if you really used two tablespoons of olive oil to cook your salmon, which seems like way too much since salmon is oily already... and it showed up as 55% fat (primarily from the almonds and olive oil) and only 15% carbs with only 13 g of fiber... Technically, SBD doesn't count calories or carbs or anything but sometimes it might help to run your menus through a calorie counter to see where it stands. But actually, I often have very low-cal days when I am on Phase 1 so maybe just check on this when you move to Phase 2. Still, you could consider adding a serving of beans for fiber and some cheese to your omelet ...

By the way whole eggs are fine for SBD, unless you are only eating egg whites for another reason or you prefer egg whites.

That's all I can think of to suggest for now. Others will give more ideas I'm sure. You will probably have to stick with it a few more days or even weeks until you can tell if this new dietary plan is good for you or not. I'm really sorry to hear that you had a rough start. I have done a lot of research and I really think this is one of the healthiest diets around; it uses real foods and can be adjusted to suit individual needs (lower carb, vegetarian, whole foods only, no artificial sweeteners, etc. ... lots of options). I do hope things work out better for you soon!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #14  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Hang in there!

I am just starting myself and my weight loss is slow - but what I can tell you.... is that I FEEL so much better!!! My body certainly loves what I am eating now and I will take this feeling + slow weight loss anyway!!

Continue to tweak your menus and you will hit that weight loss groove.
Or maybe take your measurements. Last time I did SBD, I only lost 15 lbs, but I lost 35" overall!!! Progress is measured by more than what the scale says!
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #15  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I echo Twinn and Emma - more veggies. But also, more water (should be drinking 64 oz a day) in case the salt is what *is* hitting you. And more beans!!! Add them to a side salad for more veggies and the beans!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote