3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   SBD Trader Joe shopping List (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/241457-sbd-trader-joe-shopping-list.html)

Jenskihere 08-22-2011 05:25 PM

SBD Trader Joe shopping List

I am thinking of adding a trip to Trader Joe's to my weekend to-do list.
I haven't been to this store in YEARS!!!

What SB friendly items are your favorites when you shop here? What should I be adding to my list?

Thanks in advance for your help!

WaistingTime 08-22-2011 06:13 PM

I'll be looking forward to the responses; we just got TJs this summer. When I went I saw an awful lot of tempting stuff that was NOT OP:(

cottagebythesea 08-22-2011 06:41 PM

Here are some of my must-have staples from TJ's. I'm sure there are lots more, but these are just off the top of my head -

lowfat shredded Mexican cheese blends
lowfat shredded 3-blend cheese
lowfat goat cheese
Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
TJ's brand green tea w/jasmine
TJ's brand Organic Crunchy Natural Peanut Butter
unsalted dry-roasted nuts of all kinds
dry-roasted green beans
TJ's brand concentrated veggie broth
TJ's arrabiata sauce
TJ's organic tomato basil marinara
Pure Bars (my secret passion!)

Usernametaken 08-22-2011 08:00 PM

Well, they have tons of OP bread products such as
ww pita (that are actually 100% whole wheat)
ww hotdog buns
Many varieties of hummus (I love the cilantro-jalapeno kind)
TJ's curry simmer sauces (some of them do have sugar, but it is way down on the list of ingredients, after the other spices, so I let it go)
Garbanzo beans (cheaper than my grocery store)
Lite coconut milk (also cheaper than my grocery store, by a lot)
Quinoa
Brown rice blend
Fire roasted tomatoes (cheaper than the regular grocery store)
Seaweed snacks (I personally think they are revolting, but I think they are OP)
Dark chocolate covered cacao nibs (serious chocolatey goodness in tic-tac size niblets. Great for portion control)
Steel cut oats
TJ's brand vegetable juice

Jenskihere 08-22-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottagebythesea (Post 4001889)
dry-roasted green beans
Pure Bars (my secret passion!)

dry-roasted green beans.... sounds interesting!!!

and what are pure bars??

cottagebythesea 08-22-2011 09:28 PM

Pure Bars are raw, vegan bars made with dried or pureed fruit, nuts, and with or without chocolate.

Dry roasted green beans are a delicious snack, and I especially like them sprinkled over a salad.

jenne1017 08-22-2011 10:55 PM

this is helpful and inspiring! I haven't been in a while either. I hope there is one in my new hometown!

CyndiM 08-23-2011 06:29 AM

this is a popular topic around here :)
Here are a couple of other threads:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160393
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163330
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...oes-finds.html

rdw1 08-23-2011 08:03 AM

My TJ's staples are...
(they have an awesome variety of fresh and frozen organic veggies so I usually get most of mine there)
arugula(also they have wasabi arugula-yum!)
mushrooms
pea shoots
ww tortillas
ww pizza dough(fridge)
dark chocolate(they have 73% dark chocolate covered almonds that I can't keep in the house anymore! I just buy the 73% dark bars now)
frozen grilled asparagus
I think they have the BEST firm/extra firm tofu. I don't buy it anywhere else anymore.
Lentil crunchies if I am going on any kind of road trip, otherwise no because I will eat way too many of them!
tofutti sour cream
fresh flowers(4 bucks and they usually last between 1-2 weeks!)
avocados(4 for less than 4 bucks)
onions
OH- I almost forgot the most important one! I use frozen pineapple with my smoothie almost every day! I usually buy 3-6 bags when I am there!!! lol
frozen blueberries
... mango
... strawberries

OK, so in summary usually produce and frozen fruits and veggies are usually what I go for. They have tons of convenience foods that are probably healthier than at most groceries but I still avoid those aisles and mainly make my way around the outskirts of our store...

I love love love TJ's and if it werent for DH and his "junk" food I probably would only shop there! Enjoy your trip!

rdw1 08-23-2011 08:07 AM

I just clicked on the other sbd link that Cyndi posted and Jen, are you having deja vu? lol.

Jenskihere 08-23-2011 08:29 AM

ha! you know.... I remember posting this exact thing a few years back and I tried to locate the old thread, but couldn't find it! :-) I figured it was old enough (2+ years) that no one would mind the duplicate!! Leave it to Cyndi to find it! :-)

Thanks for all the ideas! I have a list going and am excited for some new items to try!

ladolcevita26 08-23-2011 01:49 PM

I'm not on the SBD but looking for ways to eat low carb. This is a great thread :)

FurnaceOfAchievement 08-23-2011 03:08 PM

Thank you so much for this thread and for the link to the old ones! To be honest I've been *avoiding* TJs since starting South Beach, since my shopping there had seemed to be mostly off-plan convenience foods. But now I am so excited to go back equipped with a list from these threads!

murphmitch 08-23-2011 04:17 PM

I love the Garlic Aioli Mustard Sauce. Use it on everything. Also their PB & Almond Butter, Oat Bran Hot Cereal, WW frozen pizza dough, frozen edamame & TJ's FF Greek yogurt.

SouthLake 08-24-2011 04:37 PM

My go tos:

prepacked baggies of roasted unsalted almonds. I've stuffed little emrgency packs of those at work, in my car, every purse I own, etc.

Think Thin bars

WW pizza dough

Simply Lite chocolate bars- the best sugar free chocolate I've ever tasted.

There's a lgiht sprouted wheat bread there that I love, high fiber and protein, and only 50 calories a slice or so. Plus, delicious and doesnt set off cravings.

I also like their organic fat free milk