South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 AM   #1  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default SBD Daily Chat, Monday-July 18

Good Morning

I'm jumping into a busy week. My mantra, "Food does not fix overwhelmed." I'm going in to start a new job this morning which will start as a tradeoff at Kirk's neurofeedback office. His appointments have been going great but they're very expensive. On the other hand, they have lots of office work that is bogging them down. It will be fun and interesting for me, I hope. We're looking at leaving here tomorrow afternoon with Kirk's friend from his brain injury group. His vehicle is getting fixed and he wants to get out of dodge. It will be fun, but he has to sleep on the floor due to his injury, and it will certainly complicate things as I continue to manage my insomnia with a houseguest sleeping in my living room. It will work out and we'll have fun but I'll now have a dinner guest for meals, too. I think he'll stay a week. I still need to find out when moms first eye treatment is...that will be the final determination of our schedule for the week.

For now, I'll keep the focus on my healthy eating habits and the new job and the rest will fall into place. We had a big storm last night but fortunately we had picked raspberries early so hopefully we didn't lose too many.

I hope you all have a great Monday. What's up in your world? Stop by and chat

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-18-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Hey Debbie,
That gig sounds great. I love the idea of "bartering" for things. Good luck with your houseguest too - I love to have people stay, but have also dealt with a guest on the floor. Will he sleep on the floor floor, or an aerobed or something?

A very sad, depressing weekend with my parents. My mom is really not in good shape, and I feel guilty and ashamed of all my anger and resentment towards my parents. In some ways I feel like I am growing up, finally, but it's very uncomfortable even though I know I have to go through it. I'm just really putting it out there and asking the universe, god, whatever, to help my mom be more comfortable and at peace. It doesn't help that TOM is coming and I'm very emotional too. Looking forward to getting back into the groove of the week.

I was off plan this weekend, but getting right back on today. I wish I could break the 158 barrier - maybe this week, once TOM water weight has come off. On tap for today is just work, and planning for the week. Hope everyone has a great one-
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Matilda, I hope you are able to get right back into your groove and start feeling better. My dad passed away years ago, but there was alot of stressful stuff way back then, and I felt guilty about alot of things, too. I've come to realize that I have to take care of myself and my own family first. I assist my mom the best I can, but she has made (and continues to make) her own choices and I can't fix her dysfunction. In fact, I think she operates much better in her dysfunction. Whew, I just choose not to any more. Take care, girl! As to our houseguest, I will find out more today. I think he just sleeps on a hard floor...maybe with a mat underneath. He had a broken neck and lots of reconstructive surgery. His left hand is atrophied, from the brain injury. We'll just make it work but I think the carpeted floor downstairs will be better.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Debbie, good luck with your new job and your houseguest. Will the job interfere with your traveling between your two homes?

Matilda, I'm sad that your weekend with your parents was difficult. I think you are doing the best that you can for them, so you shouldn't feel so guilty. You can only do so much, and the rest is up to them.

Soaring temperatures today, so unless we're going to be in the pool, we're staying indoors. I have to decide which day this week would be a good day to take the girls to Roadside America. It's a huge display of a miniature village and countryside, surrounded by miniature trains, and the girls are very excited about going. It will be my birthday present to Maggie, since she doesn't want anything, and I told her I'd let her pick out a present in the gift shop. Tomorrow may work out best, but I'll have to talk to Cindy about it.
I'd better get down to the garden to pick more beans this morning while it's still bearable outside, and I want to pick some beets to drop off at Mom's on my way to the farm. We're slowly decreasing the groundhog population, and the garden is already showing signs of recovery.

Stay cool and hydrated, Chickies!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning It looks like a real sizzler this week, 90s in Vermont are a real shock to our system. I got the mowing out of the way yesterday so don't have to think about that for awhile. I also watered my garden which, of course, made it rain

Debbie - I love bartering. We have a time trade here and you can barter all kinds of things. I'm going to look into it once I have a little more time (counting down the weeks!).

Matilda - I know what you mean about growing up. I went through that with my Dad's cancer. We had a lot of stuff and I'd been able to really avoid dealing with my parents for years. That all had to change when my brother moved to VA. In retrospect it's been positive but there were definitely tough times along the way. Hope the same for you.

Cottage - that sounds like a fun trip! How many work days before vacation?

It will be along week this week. Late day today and tomorrow then work Saturday. I'll comp it for one of my days off next week and Saturday is a local fair so that should be a fun day. In the meantime just getting things set around here so I can be away for a week.

Hope your Monday includes some cool breezes even if they come from AC
Old 07-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cyndi, 10 working days til vacation, and this time 2 weeks from now, I'll be having coffee in Ruth's kitchen with Jazz on my lap and Disney at my feet.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 07-18-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Linda, Roadside America sounds fun, especially with the girls. Stay cool today...your groundhog experience is sure interesting. My new "job" is just a matter of convenience for both parties, at this point. Kirk could use more sessions than we have money for and they are not addressing their paperwork but just letting it pile up. I sense they'll give me finishable projects based on my availability and I might create some new ones, too. Perhaps some day this would turn into more, who knows.

Cyndi, take care on this busy day. I'll be counting down with you.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I wish you were here this morning, Linda. We are having a major boomer and both dogs are shivering and needing attention. Nobody will go out for potty - not a good thing. Two weeks from today ...

Debbie, you sound way too busy but I understand why you are taking on the extra work. We do what we have to do even if it's just treading water until we are able to swim.

Matilda, I am so sorry things are going downhill with your parents. I had a poor relationship with mine around the time my first marriage bottomed up but things did get better once they realized I wasn't a fallen woman. I was their sole caregiver for the year my sister was in France.

Cyndi, "away for a week"? Are you vacationing? We absolutely MUST meet up this fall. I now have a queen size blow-up bed, by the way.

It was a really hot day yesterday - the AC could not keep up with it very well. I finally got the Mill Tax return done and was about to send it off when I realized more reports were needed! Luckily my friend Karen and her visitor Laurie dropped in and that was a good laugh break. We ended up having dinner here - Swiss chard sauteed with onions with cherry tomatoes and goat cheese. It made for a very relaxing evening which I needed. Bed felt good.

This morning, if the power stays on, I'll be plugging away at more darned accounting. Later this afternoon, I will be going over to the campgrounds to judge some of the plantings the yearly campers have done. Aside from short-term campers, there are folks who actually live in the park from May to October and some of them really do a number around their trailers. This shouldn't be too tricky as William, the Park Manager, already knows who has the best display and will guide us. There are a lot of politics involved here and he likes to spread the winners around.

Just looked at my calendar for the week and now I'm sorry! Bloodwork first thing tomorrow, Good Food box packing and distribution and then pet therapy at the nursing home. The next day starts with a mammogram. I guess today's t-storm was a good start to the day.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

Good morning. Another Monday rolls around so fast.

Debbie - Your job sounds perfect. Love your attitude.

Matilda -

Linda - Keep cool.

Cyndi - Yep, a/c is the only coolness here, for sure. Hope your week goes fast.

Ruth - Sounds like you are busy as usual!

My teen is getting his wisdom teeth out today. Hubby is taking him while I workout with my mom. It will be a long couple of days of playing nursemaid. I have my bags of frozen peas all ready and sent DS out to buy himself soft food yesterday. My weight is up even higher today from that darn day on the boat Saturday which drives me crazy since yesterday I ate well and the one boat day wasn't even that bad. Will keep plugging along. Sigh.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #10  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Morning all!

Debbie - I love the mantra!
MMc - Sorry you are having a tough time. I went through a similar thing when my mom was passing - we had a rough relationship and when she passed (3 years ago), I went through a lot of guilt processing for about 6 months thereafter.
Cottage - Stay cool!
Cyn - Ditto! Hot here too but we are soooo used to it. I take it, no birdwatching in this heat!?!?
Ruth - have a good day and good luck with the bloodwork tomorrow!
Waisting - good luck with the son, I got all 4 pulled at once. Just keep him drugged

As for me, I need to work on my thesis today. I get every Monday off in the summer for some back comp time. My boss is really great and so this time is a bonus for me!

The weekend went really well. I avoided all temptations (and there were a lot!) and adapted and did well. It was a bit of a disaster for dinner (my friend's sister surprised my friend but the sister's husband was a real schmuck so it made it all awkward). Then there was family drama. But it all worked out in the end. I should get around to posting pics on Facebook soon.

TOM is coming and I too MMc am an emotional mess!!! Hopefully I can swim today in advance of it and get some exercise. DW is training for a sprint triathlon (she downgraded this week when she realized she wasn't training like she should) so we did an open water swim at the beach in NJ this weekend and I got a lot of exercise in!

OK, shutting up now, Have a great day!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #11  
Determined to lose!

Lexis: I like the bartering system you've set up! Good luck on the new job! Sounds like you have your plate full with mom and house guest! I'm glad your determined to stay on plan!

MMCKellen: The nice thing about parents, we hold unconditional love for our children! Make amends and move on, be there for her and support her... love her! We all, even parents, make mistakes and wish we could undo or unsay things... but we can't, so, we need to learn from them and move on! Just show her love now, that you've changed!

Cottage, the pool sounds nice! Stay cool! We here in NY have been having a heat spell, so bad our grass looks like straw and very flamable! Today we got a little rain, not enough, I'm hoping for more. Earlier in spring everyone was complaining about rain, I told them we were going to need it this summer, now they are complaining about the sun... these guys, I swear only like to hear themselves complain!

Cyndi, you headed out for the week off? going anywhere?

Karen, keep on plan and you'll get over the boat outting! Hope your DS has it easier than I did when I got my wisdom out! I was laid up for a week, vomiting!

Day two on plan... looking for work, will be without money this month as unemployment is figuring if I am eligible for the new benefit year, they have to give my last employer till the end of July to respond to the inquiry, if they agree (which they will) the company does nothing, so the Unemployment just waits it out... so, tell me, how does one go to interviews with no gas? Gotta love the system!

In the meantime, my son moved home beginning of July to save money. He was in a studio, his girlfriend is now pregnant and they need a 2 bedroom. He also needs a car. I hit up lots of yard sales and found almost brand new baby items for decent prices so what they need now is minimal on that end. My place is small and he brought two cats (I'm allergic) and tends not to pick up after himself, I find myself having to fight with him to clean! ARGH!

Off to search for work.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #12  
Determined to lose!

Jenne, we were posting at the same time... good luck on your thesis paper, what is it on?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #13  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

hi Lori! I love yard sales for that very reason! And in this weather, there are quite a few!!!

My thesis topic is on how to engage Millennials (the youngins) to use the traits that make them unique (technology skills, social media) and get them to work in nonprofit advocacy. I am one page in!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #14  
Determined to lose!

Jenne, It depends on where you go, some places put out junk, other's price too high... I'm very particular what I buy at yard sales, I don't want to being junk into my home! prior to my grandson I used to walk out empty handed more than not! Now I'm having a blast, but banned myself from going due to lack u f funds! Although two weeks ago I did find a couch and love seat, Lazy boy, that looks brand new and talked them down, paid 175 for both, and the couch is a sleeper!
Closed Thread