South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default SBD Chat - Weekend of July 9 and 10

Good morning. Just had coffee on the deck with the dogs who tell me they want me to spend more time with them. It's been a hectic week and I've not been home much but today will be different.

The fish fry went well last night with lots of satisfied customers. We didn't make a lot of money after paying the fish cooking guy but sure raised our profile in the Village. There were lots of locals who came and many of them said they had not been in the Mill since they were kids. It was in operation until 1960.

Today will be my last kick at the can for putting a few leftover plants into the ground. After that it'll be just weeding, watering and deadheading. We're in for a string of sunny and warm days - real summer! It's supposed to be nice tomorrow for the Church picnic which is a relief - especially when I have 50 servings of macaroni salad in the Fair Hall fridge waiting to go to the park!

So what's on tap for your weekend?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning, Ruth! I'm glad the fish fry drew a lot of people to the Mill, and I'm making it high on my agenda to tour it on my next visit, rather than just walk by it!

My hand? The one that's still swollen from the bee sting? Well, I managed to stab myself in the palm of it with a sharp knive while trying to get the pit out of an avocado last night. So now it's all wrapped and bandaged up, but my fingers still work! And at least I'm keeping all the damage to one hand.
Later this morning, Andrea, the grandkids, and I, are going over to Monica's in NJ to help decorate the church hall for Carley's very belated birthday party. Her birthday is 2 days before Christmas, but because of the holiday flurry and the snowy winter we had, her party kept being delayed. So we're calling it her "1/2 birthday" party. Better late than never, I guess.
We finally got some much needed soaker rain last night, and the garden rewarded us with our first ripe tomato this morning.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

Hi Ruth! Glad to hear your fish fry was such a success! I'm trying to figure out if your villiage is large or small?? I hope you get to enjoy your day as planned.

ETA-Linda, thanks for the 1/2 birthday explanation. I couldn't figure it out. Have fun today and I'm glad to hear you got a soaker rain. It sure helps green things up.

We're hitting the deck running this morning. We missed a painting day due to rain and now an unfinished portion is screwing up our exciting weekend plans (not!). We're headed up very soon to see what we can whang out before meeting up with mom for breakfast at 8. Then I'm sure we'll be back up to finish our sections. Then it looks like it will be more weeding in the yard. That's about it.

We're all ready just need the dawns first light. We'll face East and as we start.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-09-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #4  

back atcha, Debbie!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

Hey chicks!

We are off to watch my nephews test for belts in Taekwondo today so I'm going to try to exercise early today, before breakfast. And the testing runs over the lunch hour so I will try to find something healthy to pack to snack on. I get rather grouchy when I am hungry That is the biggest thing happening here this weekend. It's so quiet with my teen gone - practice empty nesting I guess. Off to elliptical...
Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

and to the other early birds this morning.

Debbie, our wee Village has a winter population of about 300 but swells to over 1000 in summer. We are located between two lovely lakes with cottages and camp grounds on both. We are a fairly old Village and have several historic homes plus The Old Stone Mill which is a national historic site. http://www.deltamill.org/deltatour.html

Right now the Village is just wakening up. Bob's Diner is packed with locals and visitors. I usually avoid coffee with the gang on Saturdays. Right now I'm going to have my second cup on the deck with my own gang. Disney and Jazz tell me I have been neglecting them a bit this past busy week.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning I managed to sleep in a bit but only after being awake a couple of hours during the night. We are heading to NY today for tomorrow's family party. We will stop at my usual half way and catch-up with a good friend then head to a lovely old hotel for the night. My brother and his wife are staying in the same place so that will be nice. After breakfast at everyone's favorite diner (Quack's) we will spend the day at my parents. I'll help my Mom and niece decorate and prep the house and Julie will stalk their resident mourning warbler.

Ruth - Hope you and the dogs make the most of your relaxing day by doing the least effort

Cottage - That's a long time for a bee sting to be so swollen. Ouch.
When we were kids my Dad used to celebrate our half birthdays. There would be cake and tiny presents.

Debbie - right back on your direction. Hope you get a couple of things crossed off that To Do list today.

Well the orioles are fighting and I just realized I forgot to fill their feeder yesterday so it's time to get out in the yard. Then I've got a packed list before getting on the road around noon. Happy weekend friends!

ETA - Good morning Karen!

Last edited by CyndiM; 07-09-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good morning chicks!

Ruth - glad you got time with the pups! Sounds like the fish fry was a hit and successful even though it wasn't a big financial hit. Enjoy the gardening!

Cottage - LOL...1/2 birthday party!! The girl at my work, who is around 30, makes a HUGE deal over her 1/2 birthday. She gets presents every year from her aunt!

Lexiss- I'm always amazed at your productivity. Have a great weekend!

Karen - That would be fun to watch the testing. Let us know how he does!

Cyndi - enjoy your family weekend! Where in NY will you be?

Me - same ole same ole. Go to work today (our computer has been down all week, so it's interesting). Piddle in the garden. Maybe it'll be a good night for a campfire?

The scale was scary on Tuesday (warning will robinson!), but dropped dramatically this week. Huh. Not like I kicked out grains. I'm guessing from injuries on Monday, but I'll take it! It's easy sometimes to get slack and not make good veggie options, so I've been good at it this week.

I guess I'm not far from getting ready for work. Have a great day y'all!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone! I slept a bit late and look how many of you beat me. It was nice to get in that extra hour. We're leisurely driving down to the shore today for a couple of family parties, but not rushing off as we usually would, which feels good. Extensive in law exposure, but I'm going to try just to stay in the background this time instead of getting involved in the drama. Tomorrow, more of the same, except we may be able to escape to the bay beach for a bit in the morning.

My mom seems to be responding well to her new medication, which is a good thing. We're going up there next weekend to see them. She's agreed to participate in an important genome study through 23andme to see if she shares genetic markers with others who have Parkinson's. I think this is a good thing because this study has already helped to identify 2 more common markers and it's something concrete she can do to help others. The prospect of finding out is a bit scary though, as it could have implications for me and my son. I'm struggling with this because I do have hypochondriacal tendencies to begin with. I'll keep everyone posted on this.

Hope you all have a great weekend...probably won't check in tomorrow am, but see everyone Sunday night or Monday morning.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Thought I'd better sneak in WHILE I have internet...I never know on the weekends as the masses appear. We painted a bit, but Home Depot gave us the wrong paint so had to head over after breakfast. Now we're off to Denver. I'm taking DH to lunch then he's taking me to ride the roller coaster. Painting to resume tomorrow.

3500 bikes went by our house this morning. It's called Triple ByPass and goes over 3 large mountain passes; Squaw, Loveland and Vail. They'll come back tomorrow. I had a *pang* as all those buff bodies rode by...I rode over one when I was in HS but don't think I'll ever do that again.

Karen, lol at practicing empty nesting. Speaking of...when are you headed West with DS?

Ruth, thx for the link!

Cyndi, I hope your family time is fun...it's gotta be better than mine...stuff is getting weird here as we anticipate family coming in for Moms 90th.

Twynn, I hope work is uneventful. Thought of you yesterday after I fell down my basement stairs. Ouch, but I didn't get hurt as bad as you did. Didn't think about it but I'll bet your body retains alot of water after a bad sprain.

Matilda, glad to hear your Mom is doing better. Ouch for all the other stuff..havent decided yet if I want to know, either.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #11  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

good afternoon,

Ruth - hope your day is going as planned.
Cottage - enjoy the party.
Karen - I have a secret, sometimes they come back.
Cyndi - enjoy your family
Matilda - glad you hear that your mother is responding well to the meds. Have fun at the shore.
Twynn - hope its not too busy today.
Debbie - enjoy the roller coaster, your stomach is strong. Can you make it out of your driveway with so many bikers.
me - well, Thursday my house looked like a convention centre for repairman, the freezer worked for two days and then dies, it is the switch and in the morning we woke up to no hot water, $725. later its fixed, the thermostat was $525. Lucky us that our neighour is an appliance repairman and recommended someone for the water heater, neighbour is fixing the deep freeze but since its 35 years old the part has to be ordered. Always buy Sears, they are so good at having parts. Big clean up of the freezer, luckly I have two fridges with freezers so everything of value is in it.
so who said summer is an easy time to diet, you would think with all the fruit and veggies it is. I made bruschetta for lunch and just intended to have two slices but didn't stop there.
take care
Sophie
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: maintaining

Debbie - Mid-August. Still not sure if we'll come (back) through CO or head south through Albuquerque which seems a bit shorter. In part it depends on what my older son is doing at the time. I need to start planning soon.

My nephews both passed to the next belt, broke their boards, and the older one, nine, won a huge trophy for being the best student or most well-behaved or something or other. He got the only one!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #13  

I had a good day, but a long one, and got home much later than I wanted to. The party was a huge success, then afterwards we went to Chili's, where the waiter kept messing up our orders and we had to wait forever for the bill. Then we were stuck in traffic for over 2 hours on the expressway because of a car fire. It's good to be home and in my comfy jammies with a nice cup of tea.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #14  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Good Morning

Looking East...waiting for the sunrise. Oh, well. Thought I'd say hello before heading off with the "insomnia list". We're painting early today, too. We're on the countdown here as we'll leave Wednesday afternoon for a week on the other side. It's hard to believe how fast Summer is going! We had fun in Denver yesterday. We rode the roller coaster and ferris wheel and didn't even look at food. I took DH to a restaurant which he really enjoyed, unfortunately the salad bar was crappy. Oh, well. I was very careful about my choices. I'm always grateful for food successes.

sophie, glad you are getting everything fixed. Yay for a neighbor who repairs appliances. We have electricians on two sides. Bruschetta sounds good!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Keep looking east, Debbie. It's supposed to be here now but no sun yet. We are pretty foggy so it may be there but hiding. It's supposed to be sunny and hot today for our Church picnic but ...

I'm a bit stiff today from a pretty heavy day of gardening. I had a new clematis to plant and had to dig out the old one first. It had a very thick and deep root so it was a bit of a struggle. I did it though without having to get some man to help. I also hand watered every veggie plant out there and was rewarded by four wee tomatoes from a plant called "Red Candy".

Did the accounting for the Fish Fry and was pleasantly surprised to see we made a decent profit. I have a Board meeting on Monday about finances so that was a "good thing". The next fundraiser is a bread baking workshop on the 23rd which is also the afternoon of the Fair Parade. We may have to change it to a morning session as the Village shuts down to traffic for the parade. There's always something, right?

Time for a proper breakfast before I tackle the day. We have a service at 10:30 followed by the picnic lunch so that will sort of clog up my day. I sure hope lots of folks turn up because I don't want to have to see that darned macaroni salad ever again. Next time I'm asked, I'll say no.

Raising my coffee mug to toast a sunny Sunday.
Closed Thread