3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Can we eat "bread" in Phase 1? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/236287-can-we-eat-bread-phase-1-a.html)

mexigrl64 06-22-2011 06:03 PM

Can we eat "bread" in Phase 1?

I have seen a few recipes for Flax Bread/Foccacia, also there are some advertised breads that are showing really low carbs. The Flax Bread shows 2 net carbs (or less) for a slice. Is it possible on Phase 1 to just have one of those with something on top perhaps? I'm into my 2nd week but I still have cravings :( Not as much for sweets as for something sandwich like, pizza like - I'm sure you all know :)

Thanks!

Laurie

cottagebythesea 06-22-2011 06:33 PM

No bread or flours allowed in Phase 1, sorry. :no: You may substitute the flax/foccacia recipe for Phase 1, though, or any of the other fake bread recipes that are listed under our Phase 1 recipes.

To have the most success with this plan, it is highly recommended that you read the book to understand the fundamentals and familiarize yourself with the updated food lists. It is very important to have a "clean" two weeks of Phase 1 to detox and completely eliminate your cravings. If you still have a craving for breads, is it possible that some sugar has snuck it's way into something you've eaten?

mexigrl64 06-22-2011 06:49 PM

Hi,

I do have the book and have read most of it. I can see where the beans are allowed it just worries me with the carbs attached. I guess I can trust in the people here :)

I have been having sugar free candy or gum 2 or 3 times a day, ricotta desserts a few times, also I do have the sugar free dark hershey's chocolate (the little bars) that I have had twice so far. That's it for sweet treats. I think all of those should be OK.

Truthfully, I am a hard core carb eater. The cravings now aren't as much physical as mental. The idea of having the flax bread really appeals if that is OK - just to put something on what feels like "bread" makes it easier to it, and more filling. The other issue (as I mentioned in one of my posts) is that I am having serious constipation even with the fiber supplements and stool softeners (sorry TMI). Last week I took to eating a 1/2 cup of All Bran or Kashi Go Lean in the A.M. and that helped but I suspect that isn't OK on Phase 1.

Thanks!

murphmitch 06-22-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexigrl64 (Post 3903082)
Last week I took to eating a 1/2 cup of All Bran or Kashi Go Lean in the A.M. and that helped but I suspect that isn't OK on Phase 1.

Maybe that's why you're still having some "cravings" on Phase I?

asphyxia63 06-22-2011 10:09 PM

Do you drink coffee or tea? I find that warm liquids always have a laxative type effect on me. There is also a type of tea that contains senna leaf that acts as a laxative. But definitely start adding beans to your diet! And as far as bread goes, it's only 2 weeks without it, you'll be amazed how much you don't want it if you do a good clean 2 weeks.

zeffryn 06-23-2011 08:42 AM

hot lemon water in the morning helps me to get "things" moving, also, psyllium husk fiber every day. If i'm still having troubles, Senna tea is a surefire way to get things started again.

Kashi has sugar and grains in it. Big no-no on P1.

Beans are very ok, and great to curb cravings. They leave you satisfied and are full of fiber and protein. A superfood for sure!

Stopfat 06-23-2011 12:43 PM

I love pizza--so I kinda know how you feel.

I made a pizza last time I tried phase1, and used a portabella mushroom cap as a substitute for crust. It was good! Like a pizza with extra mushrooms...

fozentusic 06-23-2011 12:58 PM

If you're missing pizza, try making this:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...alian-pie.html

delicious!

Natasha1534 06-23-2011 11:07 PM

I haven't made the deep dish recipe above, but the baked "spaghetti" recipe is frigging amazing!!! Spaghetti squash is super yummy!!!