3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Jams, jellies, preserves (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/234087-jams-jellies-preserves.html)

asphyxia63 05-25-2011 06:51 PM

Jams, jellies, preserves

Quickie question, smuckers has sugar free products that contain either splenda or nutrasweet, a bunch of dyes and preservatives, with 0g sugars. However they also offer something called "simply fruit" that states it has no sweeteners, but is "sweetened with fruit syrup from apple, pineapple, or pear juice concentrate." but no dyes or preservatives BUT contains about 8g of sugar.

Is the sugar free still a better choice?

oddreee 05-26-2011 10:32 AM

I may be wrong.. But I would say that if you're in phase 1, sugar free is the better option, since fruit or fruit juices are not allowed on phase 1-- just count it towards your 75-100 calories of sweet things for the day. If you're in phase 2, I don't see a problem with the simply fruit option used in moderation. I guess it's all about which you like more, and if you can have fruit or not.

asphyxia63 05-26-2011 12:22 PM

I'm in phase 1.5, since these contain fruit, none of these would be allowed in phase 1. I'm just concerned about the amount of sugar in it, even if they are just fruit sugars. Any chance I can get to not use artificial sweeteners.

oddreee 05-26-2011 12:53 PM

Well then I would count it as your fruit serving, if you've added fruit back in. I'm also on 1.5 and haven't added fruit in yet... just whole grains. so far so good.

asphyxia63 05-26-2011 02:41 PM

I'm just wondering which is a better choice, as far as sugar content goes.

asphyxia63 05-27-2011 12:17 PM

None of the vets have any input on this?

Ruthxxx 05-27-2011 12:33 PM

Well, I would just choose the jam based on the carb count, picking the lowest one. I usually don't sweat the small stuff and don't use much jam anyhow.

zeffryn 05-27-2011 12:46 PM

I, for the life of me, cannot understand the reasoning behind sf jams being allowed on p1. there are chunks of fruit, no? it shall forever be a SB mystery.

asphyxia63 05-27-2011 01:07 PM

is it really allowed on p1? i stayed away from anything with fruit in it for my p1. but now i'm on to 1.5 and fruit is the first thing i'm adding back in and wanted to add jams and preserves to my smoothies and yogurt. i was just concerned that the sf has 0g sugar, but the simply fruit (with no added sugar or artificial sweetener) has 8g sugars. why doesnt the sf have and sugars in it if it is just fruit sugar?

Lexxiss 05-27-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asphyxia63 (Post 3867321)
now i'm on to 1.5 and fruit is the first thing i'm adding back in and wanted to add jams and preserves to my smoothies and yogurt.

Ok, now I have an idea what you're trying to do here. I hadn't chimed in before because I do use the SF jam occasionally (both marmalade and raspberry) and I did not have any of the natural preserves to look at.

I use the SF jam, very occasionally, to add to toast as a treat. Additionally, I have made my own jam with splenda on occasion.

I do a smoothie every single morning. I add fresh fruit to the smoothie (it's live and healthy) and wouldn't even think of using processed jam. If I don't have fresh, I have a stash of frozen raspberries from my own garden that I add.

For an addition to yogurt, it seems like either one (SF jam or natural preserves) would be ok since I would add them in small quantities. Personally, I lean towards the SF since I don't do it every day, and usually add cocoa, fresh berries or pumpkin pie spice to my yogurt.

Hope that helps!