3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Chinese take out? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/232711-chinese-take-out.html)

asphyxia63 05-07-2011 01:37 PM

Chinese take out?

I'm sorry if there's already a post for this but I'm using from my phone and having a hard time searching.
I work in a hospital lab on evening shift with weekend rotations and my coworkers like to order chinese every weekend it seems. I hate being the odd one out every time but even when not on sbd i know how bad a lot of that stuff can be. White rice, fried rice, noodles, sauces.... does anyone know of anything sb friendly? More specifically, phase one?

asphyxia63 05-07-2011 04:11 PM

Aha I was able to find some threads on chinese! Most say to make your own, but its not that I'm craving it, its just that everyone but me is ordering at work. Other posts mentioned asking the restaurant too many questions or noted that things were high in msg our used corn starch... So I think I will just be sticking to my bagged lunch, much safer!

Lexxiss 05-07-2011 04:23 PM

Glad you decided to have your own lunch...I was trying to think of a nice way to say it. I worked in a Chinese restaurant and the oil that got poured in those big woks was...well...lots. Not to mention MSG, corn starch, etc. When I eat at a pretty standard CFR I gain 3-5 pounds (I'm sure water weight) which lasts a few days. I think that's hard, if a person is really sensitive to the numbers on the scale.

Now, if you could do some research from home, it might be possible to find a healthier restaurant which had brown rice as an option and didn't use MSG. We have one locally, where they pledge to only use the minimum of oils, too.

If everyone is going to eat Chinese on a Sat. night....you could bring your own version from home?? Just an idea..

ultimatebea 05-07-2011 04:30 PM

Hey all -

I actually end up with Chinese once every two weeks or so with my family - I do one cup of egg drop soup, and I order chicken and broccoli with a small amount of sauce, no rice. With the exception of needing to be sure to drink extra water before, during and after the meal, I do not have any negative effects in terms of weight loss. No gain, in any case, and at worst I may lose 1.5 instead of 2 lbs that week.

As with many things, it seems to be a case by case basis. For me, I have been able to enjoy it in moderation. You could plan ahead and try it once and see what happens for you!

Be well -

ILRPinkGirl 05-07-2011 05:27 PM

Not exactly Chinese food, but in the same vein...I don't know a lot about sushi (I've only had it two or three times before in my life), but my friends are going out for sushi coming up and was wondering...if I was able to substitute brown rice instead of white, would a california roll be alright for phase 2?

DtheFashionista 05-07-2011 05:38 PM

I've never been to a sushi place that used brown rice, but there are some items at sushi restaurants made without rice. Be adventurous and stay away from the tempura!!! :)

BeTrueToYou 05-07-2011 06:18 PM

I LOVE SUSHI! Actually I was thinking of getting some this afternoon, as I am taking myself to a movie. I won't be having popcorn, though I will have a diet soda. And my absolute favorite sushi place is right beside the theatre. I am thinking of seeing if they might make me 1/2 a spicy tuna roll without the rice or something. Otherwise I am going to get straight fish :)

Mmckellen 05-07-2011 06:26 PM

There is a chinese place near my house that will make sauces without sugar, cornstarch and not too much oil. BUT, if I did not have that option, I'd go with hot and sour soup (which is actually very like a meal b/c of the tofu and pork) or else moo shoo pork or chicken and ask for the sauce on the side (and don't eat the pancakes).

Natasha1534 05-07-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRPinkGirl (Post 3840299)
Not exactly Chinese food, but in the same vein...I don't know a lot about sushi (I've only had it two or three times before in my life), but my friends are going out for sushi coming up and was wondering...if I was able to substitute brown rice instead of white, would a california roll be alright for phase 2?

Not many sushi places do it, but I have seen a few that advertise offering brown rice sushi. You might have to do some research, but you could be in luck. I don't know anything about sushi, so I can't advise you on a California roll and it's phase appropriateness b/c I have no idea what it is, LOL Sorry!!!

As for the OP, I try to stay away from Chinese food simply b/c it's full of sodium and the water weight gained is SO not worth it. I would suggest just bringing your own food (like you said) or if you absolutely must order out, get something like broccoli and chicken w/ no rice and go light on the sauce. ;)

ILRPinkGirl 05-07-2011 09:22 PM

So I checked in with my local Chinese/Japanese restaurant, and they've confirmed they have no problem using brown rice on the sushi instead of white rice! And a california roll includes avocado, crab stick, cucumber, and the rice. Hopefully that'll be okay for an occassional Phase 2 meal!

ultimatebea 05-07-2011 09:26 PM

EXCELLENT, PinkGirl! I have found that most restaurants, when they know what you want, will be happy to make changes, substitutions, and eliminations for the customer - albeit at times for a fee. Very often, all you have to do is ask!

asphyxia63 05-07-2011 09:31 PM

California rolls are so yummy! Still on phase one but I've made salads with crab and avocado as ingredients, a great combo!

Mmckellen 05-08-2011 07:28 AM

Pink, I eat sushi a lot and love it. Just stay away from the tempura sushi.

asphyxia63 05-08-2011 07:36 PM

And today they get sushi! I passed again on ordering out and one woman says she saved mgr some. One was a sweet potato roll, the other crab tempura. Both with white rice. No thank you. Maybe next time, I say.