Coconut flour?

• So, I know that the focus of SB is not on low carb, but on healthy carbs and whole grains. With that said, how does coconut flour fit in, or does it? I see it used in a lot of low carb recipes, but it isn't a whole grain. It does, however, have even more fiber than whole wheat fiber. I know that phase 1 says no flour of any kind, but would this work for phase 2? Anyone have any recipes? I've posted the nutrition below. If this is okay to work with, I found a cupcake recipe using coconut and almond flours, sweetened with agave nectar, that looks delish!

Coconut flour (1 cup) Whole wheat flour (1 cup)
    Calories 480 kcal 440 kcal
    Fat 12 g 2 g
    Carbohydrates 80 g 84 g
    Fiber 48 g 8 g
    Protein 16 g 16 g
  • It's not a grain so I wouldn't think the whole grain requirement would apply. I think it's probably okay in terms of glycemic index but I worry about the amount of fat in a serving. I guess use it sparingly and watch your weight loss?
  • I use it once in awhile for pancakes. Cyndi is right about the fat, but so far, using it hasn't affected my weight loss. I wouldn't use it every day, though.
  • Luckily, the recipes I have my eye on don't use much of it, (one only uses 1/2 cup for 8 cupcakes!) but it's good to know that there is something I can reach for when I just feel the need for something bakey or cupcakey. Then, it will just be making sure I stop at one
  • Make sure to sift the coconut flour, it gets really clumpy and whatever you're making ends up having pockets of dry flour.