3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Crashing and Burning (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/231138-crashing-burning.html)

zestfest 04-17-2011 11:54 AM

Crashing and Burning

I lost about 20 pounds 6 months ago, and have been maintaining pretty well. However, these last few weeks have been a mess. I am scared to even weigh myself and see the damage I have done.

I know it's because I have been drinking 4 nights a week due to all of the graduation celebrations/etc. When I drink, my self control just goes out the window and I feel like "Well, this is a special occasion, and college is almost over and I should just enjoy it." But then the next morning I feel so ashamed and guilty about my binge. And then vow to get back on the wagon - only to tumble right off as soon as I start drinking again.

I think I may be someone who just can't drink and be in a weight loss mode. Also, I think after you mess up once, all the cravings come back with a vengeance. I'm going to go back to a clean, fabulous phase 1 for 5 days and hopefully feel better and more in control. And maybe start only drinking vodka/soda while downtown dancing as I did when I was trying to lose weight last semester. Bleh. I feel discouraged. :?:

WaistingTime 04-17-2011 01:09 PM

I'm so sorry you're struggling:( I think revisiting PH1 is a good plan and might help you get back on track with or without the drinking.

Mmckellen 04-17-2011 01:53 PM

Yes, drinking definitely affects your judgement. Try to restrict it to one or two days a week and plan in advance what you will snack on while you drink. I really need a salty, crunchy snack with my wine and roasted chick peas or popcorn fit the bill, but I need to make sure I have them on hand when I drink wine or otherwise I go straight for the potato chips.

fozentusic 04-17-2011 02:04 PM

Why don't you just cut out the drinking if that's your downfall? Have one drink a week as a treat instead of making it your normal. It's possible to celebrate without alcohol.

TallandThin 04-17-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zestfest (Post 3811914)
.....I think I may be someone who just can't drink and be in a weight loss mode. ...... I'm going to go back to a clean, fabulous phase 1 for 5 days and hopefully feel better and more in control. And maybe start only drinking vodka/soda while downtown dancing..... :?:

I've read and re-read what you said in the above part of your message and it seems to me that on one hand you acknowledge that you can't drink and stay on a weight loss plan but right after that, you say that you plan to continue to drink. It just doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

How about trying to drink something besides alcohol when you are out?

Or if the parties and drinking are something you can't do without right now, how about postponing your clean phase one until they are over and you can concentrate on doing it right?

Just my thoughts and I sincerely hope you figure out something that will work for you.

tinabina1974 04-17-2011 04:14 PM

Don't throw in the towel, You have been enjoying yourself and celebrating for good reason. Tomorrow is another day and you can jump right back on! Congrats on graduation!! Things like this will always come up and we will always have temptations, you can get back on track, as I hope to do next time I fall off the wagon!!

corazonas 04-17-2011 04:20 PM

I used to be just like that... for me it was the fact that I work in a club and pretty much always drink those days. But mixing with juices, creamy drinks, pretty much just drinking whatever sounded good was probably a couple days worth of calories alone! The going out to dinner afterward a lot to nice places I felt like I should indulge because it was good food!

It was really hard to make the conscious decisions to
1. only drink two days a week. Any more than that is just too much to be drinking anyway and there is no way to stay on plan otherwise.

2. make smart drink choices. some standbys for me you might like are Berry Ciroc (vodka) with soda water and about 3 lemons squeezed in, Pinnacle (whipped cream flavored vodka) and water- tastes like vanilla frosting!, extra dirty Ciroc martinis, or Patron silver with soda, a little salt, and fresh lime juice (not a margarita per se but much lighter in cals)

3. not indulge in food I wouldn't eat otherwise while OP. if my options are eat crap food sometimes and not ever drink or ALWAYS eat OP and be able to drink some, I'm taking the 2nd road. for me, having a few drinks with my friends is more worth it to me than a double cheeseburger.

Anyway..... don't be discouraged!! You just need to probably make some similar choices to the ones I did. I feel you that stopping drinking completely while having such an active social life is probably not something you want to do- me either. But I feel like I can stay OP and drink both. You gotta pick your battles though, if you feel like you're going to drink at every single party and your calendar is not clearing up anytime soon you need to reeeally watch what you put in your mouth (food AND drink.)

zestfest 04-18-2011 11:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the support and ideas!

I think y'all are right about limiting drinking to 2 nights a week - that is really plenty. I start feeling pretty terrible if I drink more than that anyway. Last semester, I still lost weight while drinking twice a week, but I only drank while I was out dancing. I've gotten in to trouble when I drink around food, at BBQs and potlucks, etc. I'll try y'all's ideas and report back. This is such a great supportive community. :hug: