Question about Low Sodium V8 juice on P1

• I love v8 juice and I have a bunch of low sodium v8 here.

But I notice there is sugar in the ingredients! I have compared this to the regular v8 juice and there is only 1 gram of extra sugar (which is equal to less than 1/4 tsp. sugar). Would you drink this? I really don't like the salty variety. Thanks for you help.
  • Most important to remember is that V8 is not a good substitute for real veggies. It doesn't have nearly the nutrients or fiber of fresh veggies. If you drink it, make sure you're also getting real veggies.

I took a look at the ingredients online and there isn't any added sugars, which is what you need to be looking for. If you look at the ingredient list, there are carrots and beets, which both have fructose in them and are likely the culprits for the sugar grams. V8 has been approved for phase 1, so I don't think it is going to be an issue. The only difference between regular V8 and the low sodium variety is the amount of salt added. I think you're good to go with it.
  • Thank you Zeffryn. Wow, it looks like you've done fantastic on South Beach!
  • I have a small glass of v8 (low sodium) most mornings and have never experienced any cravings from it. But like Zeff already said, I don't substitute eating vegs for it. I try and make sure I have my 4 cups in addition to the juice.
  • I have a can of LS v8 on my way to work most mornings, and I've never had any problems with it either.

I'm a veggie lover and eat plenty of vegetables throughout the day but have never figured out a tasty way to add 'real' veggies to breakfast on the days I have oat bran or steel cut oats.
  • Thanks! I will continue to drink my v8 juice. It is very filling, and I enjoy it.
  • Quote: I took a look at the ingredients online and there isn't any added sugars, which is what you need to be looking for. If you look at the ingredient list, there are carrots and beets, which both have fructose in them and are likely the culprits for the sugar grams..
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to share that my can of Low Sodium V8 *does* list sugar as an ingredient.

Ingredients: Reconstituted vegetable juice blend (veggies are listed), potassium chloride, sugar, magnesium, salt, natural flavoring etc etc.

But I don't have cravings from it either. It's so low on the list, I didnt' worry about it.