3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Rice pudding with brown rice? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/227123-rice-pudding-brown-rice.html)

tomandkara 03-03-2011 04:00 AM

Rice pudding with brown rice?

Anybody have any tips on making rice pudding with brown rice? Short or long grain rice? Any changes to a traditional recipe?

Thanks!

cottagebythesea 03-03-2011 05:58 AM

I've made it with brown rice, and it turned out just "okay." I cooked the rice in skim milk, and when it was done, sweetened it with Splenda and stirred some fat free half & half into it with both vanilla and lemon extracts.

I haven't made it often, though, because I tend to go overboard on stuff like this. ;)

I recommend using long grain rice, as the texture is better.

tomandkara 03-03-2011 07:30 AM

I was looking for an on-plan dessert for a dinner party we're having this weekend, but if it was just OK then I might keep looking. Any ideas, Linda?

TwynnB 03-03-2011 08:18 AM

Flourless chocolate cake?

zeffryn 03-03-2011 08:29 AM

see, i've made it with both long and short grain brown rice and i like the short grain better. it has more of that toothsome quality that i love about brown rice. brown rice rice pudding is much heartier than white rice pudding.

This is an awesome brown rice pudding recipe.

tomandkara 03-03-2011 10:16 AM

Thanks, Zeff!

tomandkara 03-04-2011 01:03 PM

Zeff, I made that rice pudding tonight for dessert and it went over REALLY well! I feel like it needed more flavor, though. Next time I'm going to put WAY more cinnamon (I love cinnamon) and more agave (I substituted agave for the maple syrup). And Tom requested raisins. But it was yummy!

Porthardygurl 03-04-2011 02:14 PM

Yah, i changed the recipe to make my rice pudding with coconut milk for the creaminess and then added in the cinnamon and a bit of clove and splenda or agave..i also put in a homemade blueberry sauce swirled in for extra taste..but im not on ph2 yet.. so that would be a ph2 thing.

zeffryn 03-04-2011 02:14 PM

I've made it with agave instead of maple syrup before too, and I think it needs more flavor when you take out the strong maple flavor.

We like raisins too....currants are really delicious as well!

tomandkara 03-04-2011 02:20 PM

Oooo, Port, I like your clove idea. I love cloves about as much as cinnamon!

Zeff, believe it or not, I can't get currants here. :/ I cannot wait to get back to a real grocery store!

jenne1017 01-24-2013 01:27 PM

I am going to try this today - DW has been CRAVING rice pudding and keeps picking up premade ones and looks so disappointed after reading the label (PROGRESS!!! :carrot:).