South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #1  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Default Stuck in a snack rut...

Ok, so I've been on South Beach for going on 3 years in May, and I'm stuck in a snack rut. I usually eat the same snacks, and I'm looking for suggestions for new snacks (or old ones I've forgotten about)! Here's my usual repertoire of snacks:
  • Laughing Cow/Celery
  • Peanut Butter/Celery
  • Nuts (usually peanuts, pecans, or mixed nuts)
  • Fruit (usually strawberries or apples)
  • Celery or Cucumbers/Hummus
  • Cheese

HELP! I'm tired of eating the same snacks over and over again.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

how bout raw radishes or carrots ? with hummus or some type of dip. sometimes i just eat the veggies plain.

can you do citrus fruits? i find them totally refreshing.

do you like yogurt or cottage cheese?

Last edited by katy trail; 03-02-2011 at 11:21 AM.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #3  
Onederland or bust!!!

S/C/G: 325/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

There are some amazing recipes and ideas in the snack forum, both phase 1 and phase 2, that may inspire you!!! If you go to the main SBD forum, at the top there's a large section broken up into subcategories of recipes. There are sections for snacks!!! I snack on pretty much the same stuff as you, so I won't be of very much assistance personally, but I HTH! Happy snacking!

(I tried to post a link, but it won't let me since I don't have 25 posts yet!)
RandoMandaPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes to shake things up I would make a batch of devilled eggs and eat 2 a day- it was awesome!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

ooh, devilled eggs are good!

I have been thinking a lot about snack ideas this week. Here are some of my ideas:

I second the veggies and hummus idea. Mix up the veggies and try different kinds of hummus for variety. Celery is good, but it's not nutritionally very dense. Try raw broccoli, cauliflower, red/orange bell pepper strips, etc.

I also second the idea of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. Standbys for me. With fruit on Phase 2.

You list fruit and cheese, but I don't know if you have these things together. I love to have a crisp apple with sharp lowfat cheddar cheese. Actually I don't usually eat a fruit alone; it will always have a protein/fat included...

I often do a small salad, like Caprese - sliced tomatoes and sliced mozzarella cheese with a bit of basil and olive oil

A serving of bean salad is great, like a lentil salad (w/ diced peppers & carrots, olive oil and balsamic vinegar)

I discovered recently putting tuna or salmon salad (if you eat fish; if not, egg or tofu salad) in crisp Romaine lettuce leaves, like little boats OR on English cucumber rounds.

Zucchini pizza bites
(or Eggplant)

I made cheese crisps yesterday! Yum. Tasted like Cheese-Its to me. If you combined that with sliced tomatoes, it would be a healthier choice than alone. I was also thinking with a thick smear of bean dip... Sliced cheese works great in this way. I used to slice mozzarella sticks into 8 rounds... It is just cheese microwaved until it melts and then becomes crispy. Maybe there is a recipe posted here, but here is what I did:

I divided 1/4 cup Kraft shredded lowfat Mexican cheese (1/2 cheddar and 1/2 mozzarella I think) into 4 flattened piles on a glass plate. (You could also use paper plates but I think the wax-coated kind would work better than the Chinet kind). My current microwave is apparently not that strong, so it took 90 seconds on High and really could have gone longer. The trick is that the cheese has to get a little bit brown on top so it will be crispy when it cools - if it is just chewy the effect is lost. The other microwave I have used only required 50 sec. I just check it every 15 seconds after 45 or so until I know how long it will take in my microwave.
Remove from plate as soon as it starts to harden but don't let it cool on the plate or it will be stuck on tightly. They crisp up when they cool.

Last edited by EmmaD; 03-02-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: thought of another one
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

I love green bean fries for an afternoon snack. And when I want salty... turkey pepperoni, either cold or microwaved crispy. Lately the grape tomatoes I've gotten have been yummy and they are easy to pack to take somewhere.

3 years! Kudos.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

what about different kinds of hummus? when we get burnt out on regular hummus, I'll exchange the chickpeas for shelled edamame. it gives it a totally different flavor. i'll have it with pita, tortillas or veggies.

apples and peanut butter

smoothie popsicles

kale chips

home dehydrated fruit/veggies - either in the oven or dehydrator
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

-hummos and veggies
-lf cottage cheese with a red pepper spread on top
-roasted chick peas and roasted seaweed
-banana with peanut butter
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

My new fave, thanks to Mathilda, is kefir with a banana and some cocoa powder blended in, filling and really satisfying.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #10  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I take 6 LF Triscuits, put them on a plate, break my LF cheese stick (colby jack) into 6 hunks, place one hunk on top of each Triscuit, microwave for 20-30 seconds, and VIOLA. Nachos!
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #11  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Soup is my new favorite snack. Mmmmmmmmmmm!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Triscuits, plain yogurt with whatever added...including smoothies, deviled eggs, cold sweet potatoes, wheat thins, cashews...I guess I mostly rotate the same stuff toO!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #13  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Thanks for the snack ideas I'll have to add a few of these to the rotation.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I can't remember who gave me the idea on here, but I mix 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter w/ a serving of plain greek yogurt, add a couple of packs of Splenda, and use it to dip a granny smith apple in. OMG, it is SO yummy and SO filling. It's my favorite snack!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote