3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Afternoon Cravings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/223087-afternoon-cravings.html)

Mabenda0 01-20-2011 04:16 PM

Afternoon Cravings

I been on south beach for the last few months and have lost over 20 pounds. I want to lose another twenty so I am starting phase 1 next week and going to do it for about 2 weeks before switching back to phase 2.
I been exercising alot: in fact every night for at least an hour doing cross fit, which is a military styles training workout and also am a dancer, so I dance with my company on the weekends.
I never cheat on my phase 2 except after lunch time. That's when the cravings hit. If I don't have some kind of fruit in my bag to stop the cravings I will go straight to the snack machine to get peanut butter m&m's. They are my ultimate weakness. I have been able to live without bread, and pasta, and sugar but when 3 o'clock hits, that's when I fold. I been trying to drink two glasses of water in between my lunch break and 3 o'clock but it doesn't seem to help.
Any tips or helpful hints on what to do to avoid this issue? :?:

zeffryn 01-20-2011 04:19 PM

more often than not, it is just an issue of willpower - for me at least. i get the same thing, sometimes in the afternoon, other times right after dinner. i have to distract myself and tell myself "no! you're not doing that" to avoid hitting the candy or, my current craving, peanut butter pretzels.

have you tried just not doing it? it's really hard, especially the first day or two, but after telling your body no will eventually cause it to quit asking.

Mabenda0 01-20-2011 04:23 PM

I have not done it for like two weeks in a row and today I cracked. I think it is because of my lady time starting tomorrow. I never used to ever crave candy, I was more of a carb queen. I have been so good with avoiding bread for months now, its the candy that is killing me. Hopefully my phase 1 next week will go smoothly and I can avoid this issue :-)
Thanks for the help/

plusmince 01-20-2011 09:02 PM

mabenda you've done great! Your muscle tone must be really increasing with all that awesome exercise. I wonder if the body craves a bit more fuel when it is working so hard? Stick with a good snack would be my advice. And there's always coffee! Works for me!

tomandkara 01-21-2011 02:53 AM

Try upping your protein at lunch time. That's my secret for kicking cravings.

Mmckellen 01-21-2011 06:40 AM

Or, when you have a craving, have something with protein first (like an egg, piece of cheese, small piece of meat, etc.). That usually kills it for me.

Mabenda0 01-21-2011 11:17 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I am going to start phase 1 on Monday and am planning to have a clean 2 weeks.
@plusmince- I feel like all I want to do is eat. I am using so many of the calories I am taking in for energy that my body seemed to be begging for more.

weezle 01-21-2011 11:47 AM

Mebenda - when I have a craving, no matter what phase I'm on, I eat 1-2 T. of natural peanut butter, right off the spoon. If I'm hungry, I'll put it on celery (Ph1) or a piece of whole wheat toast (Ph2.) It is my go-to for cravings because even though it's not sugary sweet like regular peanut butter, it tricks my brain, and it also has protein which helps me with hunger. Maybe have a little PB with a glass of milk?

SouthLake 01-21-2011 12:05 PM

Yogurt. I always crave something sweet in the afternoon so I find some plain ff yogurt with a touch of vanill and splenda really kicks it for me. The combination of the sweet flavor and the bit of protein really does it for me. I also have some crystal light hard candies for sugar emergencies.

And... I admit it. I am a regular peanut butter spoon licker.