South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default thoughts on honey

What is the low down on honey? If I use it ever, it will probably be raw unfiltered honey, and I'll use it only in tea or something, but what's the general feeling on it as a sweetener?

Last edited by Mmckellen; 01-16-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I know we're to avoid honey on SBD, but I have to be honest and confess that I do use it in my tea on occasion, and I don't think I've had any negative reactions from it. I also swear by taking a spoonful of local raw, unfiltered honey every day, starting in early March, to help prevent seasonal allergies. I wouldn't advise it for everyone, but it works for me.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

cottage - do you think that heating it in tea would have the same effect for allergies? Or would heating it negate that benefit.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

heating shouldn't negate the effects. You are inoculating yourself to local pollens.

I have trouble with all liquid sweeteners so don't use much agave or honey. I do use honey when I have a nasty cough though, in fresh ginger and lemon tea. I'd rather do that than take meds and it works better. So far I haven't had problems if I really control the amount. I use. Obviously watch for cravings
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

I just wanted to say with my son we use local raw honey for his allergies and cough also. It is great, he thinks he is getting a treat.
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote