Finishing up Phase I

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Well, it's been 2 weeks since I started South Beach Phase I. I have lost a total of 7 lbs. I am extremely happy with that number and very happy with this "diet". It all seems so natural and I don't miss eating like I was at all.

What I am finding though, is that I don't really want to move onto Phase II. It isn't that I am scared, it just that I am happy eating what I am eating and don't see the point into rushing into Phase II if I don't really want any of the extra "treats" that it offers.

Has anyone ever just stayed on Phase I and just occasionally had some fruit or whole grains, etc?

I just want to reiterate that this has nothing to do with the weight loss aspect or being afraid of moving on. I am satisfied on Phase I and don't really care to eat the Phase II foods at this point...
  • I understand what you are saying. Today is day 1 of P2 for me and I kind of just want to eat what I did in P1. I was getting into a nice groove and felt comfortable.

But, I am going to follow the plan and just add 1 thing a day. I am not a big fruit eater so I am going to add a piece of toast and sugar free jelly. At about 4pm my energy usually drops and I am emotionally tired from the day. That is the time I usually want to grab something "bad." I looooove toast so I figured that would be the perfect time to add in my P2 food. Plus, I go to the gym afterwards so I will have a little boost of carbs.

Other than that, I am going to take if very slow.
  • I wrap up with P1 tomorrow being my last day but I haven't been doing p1 100% as I love fruit and have been having 1 serving maybe every other day. I haven't touched alcohol or simple carbs which are both my vices. Since my bday is in early February I had already decided not to drink until then, but I'm dying for a plate of pasta and feel that could break me

I'm especially concerned about serving sizes so will probably try to stay more of P1 then P2 and only have my pasta for dinners on select days...and hope I continue to lose weight.
  • It's my first day of phase two today too, and grains and fruit do seem a little bit scary. I didn't really have to worry about portion control in phase one; it has always been carbs that I tend to overeat.
    I'm going to approach my Basic menu and eating the same way as in phase one, but with a couple of substitutions: fruit as one snack and a starch at b-fast. Hopefully with this mindset I can Avoid regressing into a mashed potato free-for-all!
  • mmm...mashed potatoes such a comfort food...thank goodness the holidays are over and i won't make them for a long time yet!

go girls!
  • The cauliflower smashed "potatoes" are fantastic, I load them up with cheese and turkey bacon bits and they taste almost just like a loaded potato.

I think I am going to get some whole wheat wraps or tortillas and have a wrap at lunch and see how that goes and then move on from there.
  • There are people who just add in fruit and whole grains occasionally. I like to add in one whole grain and one fruit per day when I begin Phase 2. Many beachers refer to this as Phase 1.5 rather than Phase 2 and eat that way the majority of the time. There is actually an answer to your question in the SBD Frequently Asked Questions, although it doesnt say anything about the Phase 1.5 thing. I think that was a term someone on this website thought of.
    Good luck with your transition.

• Quote: There are people who just add in fruit and whole grains occasionally. I like to add in one whole grain and one fruit per day when I begin Phase 2. Many beachers refer to this as Phase 1.5 rather than Phase 2 and eat that way the majority of the time. There is actually an answer to your question in the SBD Frequently Asked Questions, although it doesnt say anything about the Phase 1.5 thing. I think that was a term someone on this website thought of.
    Good luck with your transition.

I like calling it Phase 1.5! Thanks!
  • I totally understand. I just finished my first week of Phase 2 and I did not eat a carb every day. I just did not feel the need or the want. Part of me is scared because I do overeat carbs. This week it has been hard the few times I had carbs. I am going slow and taking my time.
  • I am on day 12 today and I also am very happy on P1. I am however looking forward to oatmeal and fruit. I figure that P1 with oatmeal for breakfast and an apple or something for afternoon snack and this will be a very maintainable plan for me.

It's amazing how my body is reacting to a refined-carb-free life. I'm so happy lately
  • Quote: I am on day 12 today and I also am very happy on P1. I am however looking forward to oatmeal and fruit. I figure that P1 with oatmeal for breakfast and an apple or something for afternoon snack and this will be a very maintainable plan for me.

It's amazing how my body is reacting to a refined-carb-free life. I'm so happy lately
    As someone that suffers from depression and SADD, I have been surprised by how upbeat I have been especially considering that the weather has been so cold and below average for this time of year in my area. Usually I have turned into myself at this point and become very disengaged from everything. I have had a very positive outlook since I have been on South Beach and I never made the connection until you posted this.
  • It is important to have some carbs in your diet, and if you don't want to eat wheat there are other things to eat (quinoa, millet, etc.). I think it's important to follow the directions of the diet. This is something I myself have trouble with because I am so all or nothing, and always think I know better than everyone else. One serving of carbs is actually very small (6 triscuits - and have you ever actually measured out a half cup of pasta? That is one serving). You can't ever totally remove carbs, even Atkins does not recommend that for the long term.
  • Yeah, I went ahead and bit the bullet and had 100% Whole Wheat Rotinis with dinner tonight. I also bought some wraps that I may use for lunches and some blueberries that I may have for a dessert one night. I am just going to have one carby food a day for here on out. I will see how it effects the scale and make adjustments from there.
  • Have carbs that you like and work with whatever else you are eating. For me, I think a successful Phase 2 will include one apple or banana a day, and one serving of carbs most days (in the form of 6 triscuits) and perhaps more than one serving for day on Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to start by adding in the fruit for one week and then the triscuits the second week with the fruit. I'll be counting points all the way because I need it to learn portion control.
  • im suppose to start phase 2 2mo. but i personally like phase 1 . i say do what you want . there is no rule against staing on phase one but they do advise you to switch after awhile. sometimes you can plato if your just sticking to phase one so it is good to switch it up but do it when your ready.. congrats on the 7lb lost..