South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/180/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Starving!!!

Okay...so here's the scoop.

On Day 6 of an almost Phase 1. I've avoided every carb and sip of alcohol but have had some fruit - I enjoy green smoothies and fruit is easy to take to work for lunch.

I had cottage cheese with strawberries and blueberries for breakfast today, then 3 lettuce wraps with low fat turkey and mozarella cheese with homemade soup made with celery, spinach, onion, garlic, chick peas and some spices. Immediately after I felt still hungry so had a few almonds.

I've worked out every day this week so think that maybe I'm not putting enough protein in my diet to keep my energy up but I also haven't had headaches and on Friday I hadn't eaten much but I also wasn't hungry...forced myself to eat dinner.

I do remember the 1st time I did SB five years ago that on Day 13 and 14 of phase 1 I felt the same - ravenous! Someone told me to eat more beans to get the protein. I did and felt better.

I'm about to go grocery shopping and don't want to buy everything on the shelf because I'm so hungry. Guess I will drink lots of water before heading out.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has felt the hunger pains and any suggestions as to how they got through this before stuffing down a loaf of bread or plate of pasta down?

otowngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I've found that a hot cup of tea really helps stave off hunger pangs for me. Also, chewing a stick or two of sugar-free gum helps, and gives me something to chew and keeps my mouth busy. Finally, the next time you snack on nuts, try having a piece of lowfat cheese along with them. That way it seems more like a meal, and the extra protein will help satisfy you.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Milk or yogurt is now allowed on Phase I and really works for me.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #4  

both great ideas...going to try!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/142/129

Height: 5'3"

Maybe more protein? For me at least - I would need more protein than what you posted to keep me from going crazy w/ hunger.

And don't forget SB isn't no carb. Phase one is restrictive, but you can have carbs. Maybe having some of the allowable carbs (i.e. beans or V8) would help balance out your hunger? Also, you can add veggies in to help w/ the fullness. I am on day 8 of P1 and sometimes when I feel like "more food" I realize I haven't had enough veggies for the day.

One thing I stumbled across the other day is a large glass of unsweetened almond milk (0 sugar, 2 carb) and then add a little unsweetened cocoa powder, Stevia or SF syrup to sweeten and then tons of ice....a yummy drink that really fills my stomach.

Good luck!! Sorry to hear you are having trouble.
jms423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #6  

Believe me...I'm eating beans

I like the idea of almond milk - get bored of tomato juice, v-8, tea, water, water with lemon, tea wth lemon...you get the idea.

Just to add that when I finally had dinner (chicken with beans, tomatoes, green pepper and spices) I was quite full after which made me feel better.

I'm thinking breakfast was just not enough!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Are you eating the meals and snacks at regular interval? I had a day last week when I missed my afternoon snack and went absolutely batty thinking about food on the way home.

And is it physical hunger or mental cravings? If they are cravings, are you craving sugar, in particular?
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

I don't have any advice...BUT I totally feel your pain! I've just made it through my first full week and I was hungry a lot of it! Not regular diet hunger where you want to cry, just finding myself needing to make sure to get my snacks in.

Hang in there!!
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

I was very hungry the first time I did PH1. And I read that so many people are not! I'd suggest you eat more if you are hungry but just keep it OP. Beans and the limit of nuts and the protein and tonsssss of veggies. Hang in there!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #10  

Whatever the hunger was I haven't felt like that since probably because I've been eating more. Work can get kind of busy which sometimes affects the eating intervals. Packing more in my lunches to make sure I'm prepared.

As for sugar, I don't think that's it so much - I'm more of a salty person and love my carbs but just try not to think about it...lost 3 pounds since last Monday so must be doing something right