South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #61  

Height: 5'8"

Let us know Miss Koo! Counting points is really helping me in Phase 2.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 235.6/219.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm still plugging away at my combo P+/SBD Phase 2.

The problem that I am having is that I definitely lose better when I stick to just SBD foods, cravings are way down, etc.

BUT I think that being on P+ lets me mentally justify some things that really aren't good for for my particular body. For instance yesterday I was really stressed and there were soft pretzels at work and I knew that a half would only be 3 points. I dutifully broke it in half and threw the excess away, certainly better than I would have done a month ago. All well and good, but for the rest of the day I was feeling edgy and less satisfied with my SBD meals ... craving carbs, having more trouble controlling portions, etc.

I also feel that I had a rough time this week because I didn't eat as much fruit. I guess I am lucky in that fruits, even bananas, don't get me craving. My problem is the whites. Anyway, I had a crazy week and the second half of the week didn't get to the store to replenish my fruit/fresh veggie supply. So while I was within points I felt like I was grabbing and not eating as well as I would like.

I got weighed in this morning and lost 1.6, OK, but I was a bit disappointed since I'd lost 2.2 last week. I know that for some 1.6 would be an encouraging loss, and at some point it will for me, too, but I am quite heavy right now and absolutely nowhere no goal so I do think that I should be able to lost at least 2 pounds a week. Especially since back when I did straight SBD I often lost 3 in a week. Of course that was a few years ago before baby #3 and the true onset of my 40s

I'm looking at the whole thing as a learning curve ... I am realizing that many non-SBD foods just aren't worth the aggravation (cravings) to me, even if they are low in P+. But there are other things (celebrations, etc) for which I might consider the aftermath worth it. I'm trying to figure out what is worth it to me and what isn't. And I am realizing more and more that if I want to lose better and be craving free I need to stick to SBD days/weeks.
karendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #63  

Height: 5'7.5"

Cool!..and here I thought that I had thought up this combination...;o) Nice to see you all have paved the road ahead for me. BTW,nice to meet you all.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #64  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

karen, I'm having the same problem as you. I keep trying to justify eating non-SBD foods as long as I'm within my P+, but it's not working out so well for me cravings-wise. I keep "restarting" phase 1 because of this... I really want to have a clean two weeks, but I keep sidetracking myself!
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #65  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Sunday morning weigh in: Down another two pounds!

Party last night - nibbled on broccoli, cauliflower, gouda (no crackers), handful of grapes, grape tomatoes w/a little ranch dip. Ate only the inside of the sandwich (it was quite good that way!).

Hit exactly the points target throughout the day.

Maybe there should be a new name for what we are doing (since we are having so much success). How about Beach Watchers? Point Beachers? South Pointers? (no, that sounds like a dog breed).
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #66  

KarenDisney and FatMac, I just want to be clear that I am only using the points to track my portions while I strictly adhere to the SBD phases. It sounds to me like you are jumping between the two plans - sometimes following SBD principles, sometimes just counting points. If you are using the points to justify eating non SBD foods I don't think you're doing the same thing that others on this thread are.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #67  
Diet and Exercise!

Mmck - I'm not doing it on purpose! I just keep finding myself in situations where I "cheat" on phase 1 but justify it because it wasn't so many points (alcohol being the key offender). I'm going to make a conscious effort this week to NOT do that and have a clean phase 1.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #68  

FM that was my problem when I did WW on its own last year. I ate a lot of junk because I could make it fit within my daily point allowance. Right now I'm just really following SB to the letter (I have issues with FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS and need to do just that) and using the points as my guide. Confession: I don't count points for the wine I consume. I only use it as a gauge to track how much food I'm eating. But, I generally don't drink during the week so it's not too much extra.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #69  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
KarenDisney and FatMac, I just want to be clear that I am only using the points to track my portions while I strictly adhere to the SBD phases.
Exactly this for me. I was using calorie counting for portion control and now I'm using WW.

I haven't updated alot because frankly, I've had trouble getting and staying on plan. The past week has been great though and I'm really feeling the difference. My ticker also is not lying now. I was blaming the intense job stress but really I just need to deal with life without high fat and carby foods. It's an ongoing learning process.

I have my own in-house rule for wine If I stay within my daily points and I exercise then I can have a glass of wine. Sometimes I'll have a glass a few days in a row and sometimes it's weeks without.

Last edited by CyndiM; 01-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #70  
Diet and Exercise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post

I have my own in-house rule for wine If I stay within my daily points and I exercise then I can have a glass of wine. Sometimes I'll have a glass a few days in a row and sometimes it's weeks without.
What a great rule, Cyndi! I might have to steal that one.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #71  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac View Post
What a great rule, Cyndi! I might have to steal that one.
I will happily share it with you after you complete a clean Phase 1 All my rules come from 3FC one way or another. It's the only place I know of where people actually think about this stuff and strive to get healthier. Gotta love that
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #72  
Diet and Exercise!

Alright, a clean phase 1 it is! You know, I could happily eat phase 1 foods only if I could only have my wine. Sigh... two weeks is not a long time in the grand scheme of things!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #73  

FM if I can do a clean phase 1 with no wine then you can. I LOVE my wine. Another confession: I actually had wine at 6pm on my last night of Phase 1!! Everyone here said it counted as a clean one though. You honestly will really feel good and it will make a difference for your whole experience. If it helps I did not make any plans to go out or do anything that would involve being around wine, and that means being in restaurants, for all of my phase 1. Maybe you just have to take the two weeks and do that. This is easy for me to say, because I am enjoying a glass of white wine right now!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 235.6/219.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I actually started my first week of WW doing great w/SBD ( I started on a 1.5, though - its worked for me before and fruit doesn't make me crave). I lost 10.8 lbs, too, by some miracle. I really think it was a detox after all of the junk I'd consumed over the holidays. The next week I wavered some and ate a couple of non-SBD foods .... and (sigh!) as time has gone on I've gotten sort of more and more away from truly being on the beach (over the past few weeks). In fact, this past week I don't even think I could say I was doing both. It was P+, all the way.

What I was trying to express in my last post is that when I was just doing SBD ( a couple of years back) I never ate off plan. But doing it this way, I find myself excusing non-SBD foods and justifying w/ the fact that I am within points goals at the end of the day. A little mental trick I am playing on myself, I think.

And that would be OK, I mean whatever works for each individual is fine with me, kwim? BUT .... I think I need to get back to a more pure SBD 1.5 for two reasons:

1. I'm not losing as fast as I did on straight SBD. SBD really, really worked for me. The only problem that I had was that where Dr. A says that at some point in your life you'll have a treat and you should just get back on plan, I never managed to get back both times I'd done pure SBD. So I thought maybe the points would help with that. Of course both times I did SBD I never tried having anything until 2-3 months in and both times that was when I fell off the wagon. This time I have sort of been hopping back and forth.

and 2. My body isn't looking the way that it did on pure SBD. Last time I had lost 15 lbs and people were commenting left and right - my tummy (huge problem area) was way smaller than ever. Last time on SBD I went on vacation 5 weeks into it and I look that those pics longingly ... I looked really great, and WAY thinner than I do now. I asked my mom and hubby how many pounds they thought I am away from that size and they both said about 15. Guess what? Its 5.8 pounds. I think SBD was making me look thinner at the same weight. Is that possible? And yes, I was doing some beginning pilates back then, too. But really very begining and for just a few weeks. It is just really odd to look so different at such a close weight. Anyone ever experience that? I did have my third baby in between there, but he's almost two, so I don't think I can keep blaming him for this

Anyway, I came to the conclusion today (duh!) that I need to really do SBD and just use the points for portion control. I think that I will lose/look/feel better. So I am re-starting this week. Wish me luck ...
karendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #75  

Height: 5' 7"

Well, I am down .2 for the week I will take it with TOM coming.

I also have to make sure I am keeping to my Phase 2 of SBD while counting points. I am eating more fruit than I normally do on SBD but I have not had any cravings from it and I am losing- for the past year my scale had been going up and down and back up. Since combining it has been going down regardless if it is small amounts- its a process and it's working.

Everyone has to do it the way it works for them and that is the process- figuring out what works for them.

I don't have a problem with wanting wine- I don't drink at all- we all have things we have to control.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote