Inability to eat certain foods anymore?

• Hello,

Has anyone tried to eat a cheeseburger or french fries and became ill or unable to eat the food? What does this mean and how is it possible? I have been sorta off track due to the nature of financial inability and a lot of lows and highs with my mood disorder. The sugars are not seeming to be as rough on my system or feelings, but the fats and carbs are. Is this normal? Did the diet change my chemistry that much?

Anyone experience this before? Thank you for your ideas and thoughts. Leslie
  • Mine did.
    I like things I did not like before, I do not like things I loved before.

I just go with it. I feel better not eating the junk anyway.

Of course that does not count this week with the holiday stuff t my office and the sugar monster dragging me around by the chocolate covered nose!
  • I can make my own burger at home and be ok-quality ingredients, but the chemically altered stuff just isn't agreeable anymore.
  • lazilioness, LOL (The chocolate comment). I actually am not put off by the sugary treats, but do get quite a strong jolt in feelings of anxiety and spaced out. Very interesting to say the least.

Lexxis, The burgers I make at home are somewhat okay. I have to say, they are still hard to eat and I can only eat a little at a sitting or per day. They are 98% lean too! I can eat chicken pretty easily, but get sick (nauseated) if I eat too much of the fatty parts. I have recently tried to eat tofu...I like, but am having a hard time figuring out what to do with it, as we are advised to eat only the soft one.

Oh, and in a few days or once I can go grocery shopping again for phase one stuff, I am going to start over again. Just to make sure I get to feeling better again.
  • I had been really on plan (pretty much phase 1) for a few months before Thanksgiving. I had half a piece of pumpkin pie with some sugar free cool whip and it gave me the biggest migraine ever. So yeah, when I stick on plan, going off leaves me feeling icky. If I stay off plan, I can eat it without feeling "bad", but it's because I forget what feeling GOOD feels like.
  • Have gotten sick & thrown up once when I overate since starting SB. Usually just feel stuffed and slightly nauseous when I do overeat occasionally.
  • If you largely give up sodas, you will discover that they have a slight "medicine-like" taste when you encounter one. Especially fountain drinks, they may be mixed unevenly from the dispensers. The drinks in cans have less variation. I only get sodas now if it's a "free drink with your sandwich" kind of thing. Would rather have unsweetened tea or coffee than a soda, nowadays.

If you give up milk, you will develop lactose intolerance after several months. We are not really meant to drink it for our whole lives, and your system will stop producing lactase (the enzyme for breaking down lactose).
  • Quote: If you largely give up sodas, you will discover that they have a slight "medicine-like" taste when you encounter one. Especially fountain drinks, they may be mixed unevenly from the dispensers. The drinks in cans have less variation. I only get sodas now if it's a "free drink with your sandwich" kind of thing. Would rather have unsweetened tea or coffee than a soda, nowadays.

If you give up milk, you will develop lactose intolerance after several months. We are not really meant to drink it for our whole lives, and your system will stop producing lactase (the enzyme for breaking down lactose).
    Huh...lactose intolerance eh? What does that mean? You won't be able to drink milk/dairy again?
  • Would need some of the lactose intolerant people to step in and describe it! I can't imagine giving up milk. My understanding is there are different levels of it. Some people can continue to eat ice cream and yogourt, some cannot eat anything that has milk as an ingredient.

It can be a drag though. I remember a lactose intolerant coworker that we basically could only take to lunch, if it was for asian food. He could not eat anything with cheese on it.
  • Perfect example of this during the Christmas holidays. Christmas Day we had a feast at work. I planned on being off-plan and indulged in sweets, chicken wings, cheese dip, more sweets, pasta, and so on and so forth. I also had several glasses of tea and cappucino. Before I left that night, my right foot was swollen and I had difficulty getting my shoes back on. When I woke up the next day I felt absolutely DISGUSTING!!! I still feel disgusting, although it's getting a little better after starting back to the gym, and I will try to remember this next year when I feel like "indulging" at Christmas time again.

It probably doesn't help that it's TOM, either, though.
  • Natasha...I hear ya. My hands have totally swelled up today (restarted Phase 1 today). I wish I would get REALLY sick after eating off plan, but I don't. I do experience some headaches and upset stomachs, but its not bad enough to stop me from falling off plan.
    Today was rough walking through all the Christmas candy clearance isles, but I just squeezed DH's hand through the cravings, and made it out with nothing off plan!