Artifcial Sweetners, at what price?

• Hello everyone. I'm still not back in the swing of things, getting there, but not quite yet. I have been thinking a lot about consuming artificial sweeteners that are no calories, but at what risk? I'm sure there have been posts about this concern... I am just rather concerned getting into the habit of drinking things with say, Splenda (which is supposed to be the safest next to Truvia), and it having worse effects down the road.

On a side note, I'm in a great mood. I just turned 21 on the 11th! I want to be one of those graceful ladies everyone is like wow to, and 21 is a good new start for me and it's nice because it's just before the new year! I'm going through personal growth making real goals and putting the work in that needs to happen before I can move forward. Thank you for all of your continuing support. I hope to start a blog soon (personal growth), and I hope I can record my success and help others.
  • Personally I have used Splenda w/ no ill effects. I have a friend, though, who had stomach cramps and lost her hair while using Splenda. All her symptoms disappeared when she stopped using Splenda. Now, she's diabetic and that could have something to do w/ it but I'm not sure.

There should be lots of literature online...but I would suggest consulting a scientific study instead of all kinds of articles based on personal opinions.
  • If you can spare the time to watch it, there is a documentary online called sweet misery, if you google it you will find it. i found it and thought it was well done & informative. There is also a long peice about how it got approved (fishy) for human consumption in the book skinny *****.

i personally don't use it after learning this information, but i drank WAY too much diet pepsi, it was an addiction, or at best a bad habit, and i knew it was too much.

i say if you are worrying about it, it's not worth the worry, just skip it. JMHO.

Good luck!
    -fm
  • Everything in food land is okay in moderation, but everything is bad in excess...even the things that are deemed healthy. Keep it in moderation, and there will be no problems. The studies done are on mice and with excess amounts of the food. There is no link between us and them, and we don't sit and spoon feed ourselves all day splenda or any other processed food. JMHO
  • Natasha1534- Oh my goodness I cannot believe this happened to her! I pray that all ends up good for her. Thank you for the advice.
    Foodmasochist- Skinny B****, I loved that book, read it in one night. That's where some of my insecurities came from...
    Mom4yehoshua- Thank you for the reminder that in moderation things shouldn't be an issue. You're right about the ratios that mice are given. Sometimes it's hard to remember the reality of things when there is so much information crammed in you head about healthful vs not.

Thank you all and best of luck on your weight loss and maintenance journeys!