Question....Please....

• I've asked this question before and didn't really get a good clear answer. I want to know if you can only have one of the recommended fats per day, or can you have one fat at both lunch and dinner. I want to know if I can have a salad for lunch with 2tbs. of the recommeded dressing and the same for dinner. And is it a good idea to have a snack with a fat included? I noticed in the book, on one of the sample menus there is a dressing at both lunch and dinner.

Thanks.......just need clarification.

cin
  • I assume you have seen this chart, or the equivalent? My take on that is that we should try to incorporate good fats at lunch and dinner, as well as a small amount with breakfast if desired. Fats with snacks isn't really addressed there. I often end up having fats - lowfat cheese, hummus, nuts - but I haven't planned them in there to count as good fats (like for example, even lowfat cheese is mostly saturated fat). I don't know, I hadn't thought about that before. I just try to plan my overall day with low sat. fat and high mononunsaturated fats (avocado, nuts, olive oil etc).

So yes, it would be fine to eat the salad with 2 Tbs dressing at both lunch and dinner (yay salad!) - but according to the guidelines, that wouldn't allow any other oils for the rest of the meal.

Enjoy!
  • I think it's important to get the fats in, but it's up to you when you eat them. It depends on your menu for the day. The fats are healthy and necessary in your diet, plus they help you feel full and satisfied. IMHO, eat them when you like.