South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Hardcore Excercise - Diet change needed?

I started the Beach in March, started working out twice a week starting in July, started working out 5-6 times per week the end of September. I've been doing Jazzercise 1-2 days per week (1 hour classes) and 20-30 minute workout videos in the mornings (4 days per week.) This week I am starting P90X (already completed Day 1!) I'm not sure if i need to do anything different food-wise with the increased physical activity.

Today's menu

B - 2 eggs, 2 slices turkey breast with 1 wedge laughing cow cheese and roma tomato
S - Mixed nuts, a few raisins
L - Taco Stew (ground beef, lots of beans, corn, etc) 1 medium apple
S - Low fat yogurt
D - Salad (romaine lettuce, roma tomatoes, avocado, a little LF cheddar, LF Rasp Vinigarette) and Spaghetti with wheat noodles and ground turkey

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is a typical day for me. I try to keep grains to 1 meal per day.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I think it really depends on the person. I work out cardio 6 days a week for 60-90+ minutes (I try to keep my RPE at about 8 for a good 60 minutes) and strength training for another 30-45 minutes. This is a typical day for me food wise:

1: protein shake (1 scoop of brown rice protein, 1 scoop of smoothie infusion which has protein in it as well)
2: maybe a vita top or apple if i'm feeling snacky - usually not, though
3: salad (i've been having "finger salads" - spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. with a side of hummus to dip them in - the hummus is usually enough protein-wise to hold me and the fiber from the veggies, but if I need something else, I'll have a few slices of turkey, some beans or a hardboiled egg)
4: half banana with some almond butter
5: dinner = 1 lean protein + 2 (or more) veg, sometimes a starch as well, though not usually
6: greek yogurt with blueberries or kamut puffs with blueberries

add to that at least 96 oz. of water per day and i'm always satisfied. my biggest concentration is not letting myself get famished between meals because i always end up overeating.

I also concentrate on incorporating whole foods into my diet. They keep me full longer and fuel my body better than processed foods. I figure if I don't eat like an athlete, I will never be one.

It took me a month or more to figure out what a good combination for me was and how much i needed to eat. The best advice I can give to you is listen to your body.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote