3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Juice PLEASE! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/209798-juice-please.html)

snackiejackie 08-12-2010 01:00 PM

Juice PLEASE!

afternoon ladies,

i have been able to kick most my cravings except JUICE!:devil:

i love juice and so many kinds of it. is no sugar added ok ?? i miss it soo much and would love to add it back in.

thanks

rdw1 08-12-2010 01:07 PM

:( Sorry. I don't think juice is allowed until p3...
and even then its very limited... like 1/2 cup once a week...
I have been adding a bit of lemon or lime juice to my water... I know that is a terrible substitute...
and I have been combining diets so this isn't sbd talk- but I have been adding like 1/8c 100% cranberry juice not from concentrate to my glasses of water. it really just gives it a little more flavor like the lemon or lime...

How about (p2) you make a really watered down smoothie? like with fruit, water and ice?

Sorry I couldn't give you a different answer!

Maybe these other chickies will have some better advice!

sarahyu 08-12-2010 03:27 PM

If you are in p2, maybe make smoothies with whole fruit instead of just the juice. But add more water to make it less smoothie like? if you want juice consistancy. That way you get all the fiber and good stuff of the whole fruit. Just a suggestion.

honeysox 08-12-2010 05:08 PM

I think the diet cranberry is a pretty good substitute. There's also a diet grapefruit that's pretty good. (Ocean Spray, in the big bottles? I can't remember the brand.) They both have calories, but not nearly as many as regular juice.
Just a thought.

femmecreole 08-12-2010 05:26 PM

I've been reading more and more info on just how bad juice is for us...especially kids since it is PURE sugar and the bottled kind has been pasturized with a lot of the nutrients (most of which come from the pulp) are not even there any more.

Try the smoothie route with just a little fruit added..you'll get that sweetness and the pulp too. Dates are great for sweetening smoothies. Count it as your sweet treat.

museumchick 08-12-2010 06:58 PM

Unfortunately on South Beach I think the closest you can get until Phase III is Crystal Light...which really isn't that good :-(

It's definitely a no-no on Phase I. Maybe one of the diet or sugar-free drinks would be OK on Phase II in very small amounts.

murphmitch 08-12-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by museumchick (Post 3434158)
Unfortunately on South Beach I think the closest you can get until Phase III is Crystal Light...which really isn't that good :-(

It's definitely a no-no on Phase I. Maybe one of the diet or sugar-free drinks would be OK on Phase II in very small amounts.

I've always had Crystal Light in any Phase and counted it toward my sweet treat allotment for the day.

snackiejackie 08-13-2010 10:20 AM

What would you put in smoothies?? i loved them but always made with oj, and fruit yogurt and ice....

thanks!!

rdw1 08-13-2010 11:35 AM

I always use almond milk, 1/2 banana, and some kind of berries if I want a fruity smoothie... sometimes I use a little unsweetened pineapple for a sweet one...

oh and ice!

Fat Melanie 08-13-2010 04:34 PM

I agree about the juice, I don't even like giving my son a lot of it. When I do, I water it down with water and use a splash for a little flavor rather than the pure juice. It's not much better (IMO) than giving kids soda. I like to give him the real fruit instead.

I'm not judging though, although I've never cared for most juices, I've always loved orange juice! And I always liked to have it every once in awhile, although of course these days I'm not. (I can live without it.)

I bet you will like the smoothies, SnackieJackie! I want to try them sometime as well.

femmecreole 08-13-2010 07:10 PM

My smoothies are pretty "potent". I bring it to school and sip for about an hour while I'm getting ready for students. We don't have lunch till 1, so it has to be "hearty" to keep me going.

What I put in is coconut milk, spinach (or other dark greens), green powder, maca, a chunk of ginger root, hemp powder, a couple of dates (for sweetness), some dark berries and 1/2 a frozen banana and chia gel, a couple of raw eggs and a little coconut oil..pretty hearty!! Sounds pretty gross with the raw eggs, but you don't even taste them. It tastes like banana, berries and ginger. My body asks for a lot of protein in the morning.

snackiejackie 08-16-2010 11:00 AM

Morning all....

i went out and got vanilla flavored almond milk, had it in my coffee today and it was DELISH. almost tasted like there was amaretto in it!!! cannot wait to make a smoothie with this.

i am clearly new to almond milk and wondering if i get the same nutrutional benefits as regular milk?

sarahyu 08-16-2010 11:41 AM

If it's fortified, I think it's pretty close. I'd check the labels and see.

Jlyne327 08-16-2010 01:28 PM

I just switched from soy milk to original almond milk and I think it's SO much better.

Just be careful with the flavored almond milk because there's more sugar in them.

I read from someone else on here to warm the almond milk and put a little bit of unsweetened cocoa powder for an after dinner snack. It's SOOOOO yummy. :)

As for smoothies, start with berries and the almond milk with ice. If you bought the vanilla flavored almond milk, you won't need to add any more sweetener.

CyndiM 08-16-2010 03:50 PM

The vanilla almond milk is available unsweetened too. I can even get chocolate unsweetened here (this is the granola belt ;))