3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Benefiber while on SBD? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/207771-benefiber-while-sbd.html)

LindsaysMommy 07-21-2010 01:11 PM

Benefiber while on SBD?

Has anyone tried adding Benefiber to their SBD? I am about to start Phase 1 and right now I must have an Activia yogurt daily to keep things moving. I know the Activia is not allowed on Phase 1. :)

zeffryn 07-21-2010 01:17 PM

I have metamucil (and I'm still in my 20's -- for shame) every day. I've always had a sluggish "system" and it really helps keep things moving. You're talking about the benefiber powder, right? That is allowed on P1.

LindsaysMommy 07-21-2010 01:24 PM

Hi Zeffryn, yes the benefiber powder is what I was referring to. Thank goodness it is allowed, I didn't know what I was going to do. I have always had problems with this area also. Guess some people are just "blessed" with sluggish systems. Oh, lucky us.

PinkHoodie 07-21-2010 01:36 PM

Same problem here. Benefiber doesn't really seem to help me, I might have to try metamucil.

zeffryn 07-21-2010 01:56 PM

metamucil works better for me than benefiber. There are still times when I have to drink some "colon stimulating" tea. I've seen the doctor a few times about this, and a sluggish system is all he can come up with. I make sure to eat plenty of fiber rich fruits and vegetables, lots of beans, easy on the cheese and dairy and lots of water.

*sigh*

The problem IS getting better since I've lost weight, though. I wonder if that was a factor?

LindsaysMommy 07-21-2010 03:23 PM

Zeffryn, will hopefully be able to let you know my experience, once I loose some weight. About the sluggish system, or could it be cause your eating better?

PinkHoodie 07-21-2010 03:25 PM

I wouldn't doubt it zeffryn, weight has so many negative effects. I will have to try metamucil. I have heard a lot of recommendations for it. I was fine until I got a really bad sinus infection in March, and my Dr put me on this REALLY high antibiotic...I have been having a really hard time ever since. Then I got pg, was really constipated, I miscarried but the constipation still lingers. My sister has the same problem. Sometimes I think it could be something like IBS...but its frustrating! So I do feel your pain...literally.

LindsaysMommy 07-21-2010 03:30 PM

PinkHoodie, I used to take a med called Zelnorm for IBS, it helped for a while, It was however a nice break from the IBS symptoms, but it didn't cure the problem. The only thing I have had really help me (non-medicated) is eating Activia yogurt every day, atleast one serving of it.

zeffryn 07-21-2010 04:53 PM

Lindsay'sMom - I've always eaten quite well...now I just eat smaller portions and exercise a LOT more. ;)

LindsaysMommy 07-21-2010 08:40 PM

I need to come up with an exercise routine next. Start with the food regime then exercise plan.