Tough Sunday....

• Argh. Family cookout's can suck Dh made sure to tell the fam that we were on plan (they've all been on SB before). So we had grilled steak, chicken, salad, etc. It was afterward when talks turned to fresh baked chocolate chip cookies that I gently cried to myself. My brother-in-law also has weight issues. He lost a ton of weight doing Atkins, as did my my hubby. I'll never forget the year of pork-rind nachos....blech. Anyway, he should understood, as should my father-in-law who is morbidly obese. I HATE having to mediate when my dad-in-law is trying to talk my hubby into trying the pork..."No, thanks dad. I'm really full." "You can try a little pork can't you?!!" OMG!! Anyway, I came home and roasted squash in the oven since the fam had been watching the flippin Food network all evening...I was really craving something sweet--which made me worry that I had messed up somewhere. But I had lost another pound this morning. So I guess, it's ok. We've always had issues at family gatherings. We're going to have to formulate a plan, I guess. Happy Monday folks!!
  • Congratulations on getting through that! Sometimes families are the worst for support. Sounds like you did great.
  • Geez...what a day! I agree, family food pushers are really tough. When you're out with friends and say "no", it is usually an acceptable response, but when it comes to family they don't seem to take no for an answer-and then to compound things will very often get very upset.

Strength does come in numbers, and maybe you and DH can better solidify your plan next time before it gets to the cookies!
  • Family gatherings are hard that way! And in my case I'm the only one who's overweight, so I get to watch super skinny people eat all the stuff I can't have. Sounds like you did great though!
  • Yikes see at least your family is more supportive than mine when it comes to the main meal. I CONSTANTLY tell my husband's family I can't eat sweets and yet they invite us over to dinner and so on and bake things like double chocolate cakes and if I decline I feel like the bad guy. I now take a piece, eat a BITE then mash up the rest and toss it when no one is looking. I feel like it's anorexic behavior but really come on! They don't even try with the dinners- it's always things like pasta's and other high carb meals... I have tried declining saying I can't eat the foods they make and they are like "oh no you have to go, blah blah."

How sad is it that I was RELIEVED my MIL was too sick to do anything on her bday? lol.

You did very well btw