3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   South Beach newbie (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/203612-south-beach-newbie.html)

Watercolor 06-03-2010 12:54 PM

South Beach newbie

I've got to get my act together and it seems that South Beach will help me a lot. I have Celiac, so my carbs are already limited, so that's not going to be so hard.

My issue is I have type II diabetes and I've heard that diabetics should not do phase I, that they should start at phase II. Any thoughts or advice on that?

Thanks, Cindy

Heidi58 06-03-2010 01:14 PM

I have a friend with type 2 diabetes who did SBD after seeing my success. Her doctor suggested she start with phase 2. She took his advice but really did more of what we call "1.5" around here - just 1 grain and 1 fruit/day.

She lost steadily, about a pound a week, but didn't get that big jumpstart most get with phase 1.

Watercolor 06-03-2010 01:56 PM

Thanks Heidi and Mexia, I'm going all in (pushes poker chips to the middle).
See you on the beach - I'll be the one with the purple towel.... hey, are those cabanas for everybody? Sahweeeet...

ChelseaW 06-03-2010 01:59 PM

Welcome Watercolor! Sounds like the Beach will be a good fit for you. Best of luck!

cottagebythesea 06-03-2010 08:48 PM

:welcome:, Watercolor! As the others have advised, it is best to start with Phase 2 if you have diabetes. You'll find that the SBD is excellent for getting your blood sugar levels under control, and it's doable with Celiac Disease, too, with a few modifications.

Good luck!

WaistingTime 06-03-2010 09:09 PM

:welcome2:Cindy. Nice to meet you.

rtmomma1677 06-03-2010 10:06 PM

:?::?: In regards to Cyndi's response why aren't type II diabetics suppose to do phase 1? Just curious.

Watercolor 06-04-2010 08:36 AM

Hi RT Momma!

Well, the short answer is that diabetes really scroos up the me and food situation in so many ways, one of them being that I need carbs but not too many carbs so doing phase I is not enuf carbs, etc etc.

The long answer involves charts and graphs. Oh, and I'd also have to kill you after I tell you.

Heidi58 06-04-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watercolor (Post 3323747)
Hi RT Momma!

Well, the short answer is that diabetes really scroos up the me and food situation in so many ways, one of them being that I need carbs but not too many carbs so doing phase I is not enuf carbs, etc etc.

The long answer involves charts and graphs. Oh, and I'd also have to kill you after I tell you.

:lol: Your response is more colorful than mine. :lol:

My friend's doctor felt it would be too difficult to manage her blood sugar levels on phase 1.