Steel Cut Oats

• Okay, so I bought some. I made a batch that was about 4 servings with almond milk. I liked this way, but I wanted to know for those that soak overnight. What do you use and how much?

Or can these be cooked in the morning for just one serving?

Tammie
  • I make mine in the microwave every morning.
    It took me a while to figure out just how to make it work for me, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. I love the taste and I really love feeling full til lunch time.

I use a big bowl because they bubble up so much as they're cooking, and I cook them a little less than the directions recommend because I like the texture better that way. I put them in before I head to the shower and they're ready and waiting when I come out.

(There's an overnight crock pot recipe that works really well, too. I used that for a while but then got too lazy to worry about them at night. )
  • We have one with variations http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/croc...-cut-oats.html
  • I love eating steel cut oats for breakfast. I cook it up so I have enough for a few days. I do the soak method as below:

EVENING BEFORE - Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and turn off the burner. Stir in 1 cup of steel cut oats. Cover and let sit until morning.

MORNING - Start heating the oatmeal on medium. When the oatmeal begins to bubble reduced to heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

I divide the oatmeal into microwavable storage containers and refrigerate. I then heat a serving for my breakfast.

Here is my recipe...I add fruit and cinnamon.

Easy Steel Cut Oatmeal

INGREDIENTS:
    4 cups water
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 can lite peaches or pears, drained & diced
    1/2 cup dried fruit (chopped dates, cranberries, blueberries, raisins etc)
    1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
    The evening before bring the water to a boil and turn off the burner. Stir in the steel cut oats. Cover and let sit until morning.

In the morning start to heat the oatmeal on medium. Stir in the canned lite fruit, dried fruit and cinnamon. When oatmeal begins to bubble reduced to heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

Enjoy!!!
  • Thanks!

The problem with making 4 servings at once is I didn't eat all the servings. I like the idea of making them the mornign of when I want them.

Heide I will try it your way.

Tammie
  • My DH and I have them every morning for breakfast so I make up a big batch once a week on Sunday night. I just boil water, stir in the oats, cook them for 30 minutes then let them cool. When they've cooled I pop them in Tupperware containers and store in the fridge. Then in the morning scoop out a serving and reheat in the micro for 30 seconds.
  • Thats a great idea Chelsea..I am really loving the steel oats especially with a little bit of Splenda..but I have the same problem with them boiling over...both in the microwave and on the stove!

there is a steel oat bake in the phase 2 recipe collection that is really good! You bake it, cut it up into squares and then can just grab and go every morning with it (they are like breakfast bars)