South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #151  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Day 3 for me, and still no appetite, despite beans and milk. Booo. Starting tomorrow my day, out of the house, will run from 8 am until 11 pm (that's work and school, for you I guess) - I'm struggling to find things to take with me so I can eat when I'm away. I can keep pistachios on me while I'm at work, and I'm currently searching crock pot recipes so I don't have to slave in the kitchen for too long (I'm short enough on time as it is). I've got hummus and cucumbers. And if I see another cheese stick I might die. Are there any other great ideas I'm missing that you chickies can think of to help get me through Phase 1?
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #152  
Atkins Girl For Life

S/C/G: 227.5/154/140

Height: 5'4"

I am on day 3, phase 1 and I did a major boo boo at lunch. I dont even want to recap it, but I know why. I didn' eat breakfast, and I havent' been making time for snacks. I am going to go to set times to eat again, just to get my body to behave like it is supposed to. I am not really going to "start over" at day one tomorrow though, I am just picking up and moving foward at dinner tonight. ( I have been an avid LOW LOW carber for a long time now, and am ready to get rid of the yo yo I put myself on.)
sckakame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 120/116/105

Height: 5'2''

woowee. i'm on day four of phase one and yesterday and today have been the toughest sleepy wise. but i, too, found that dairy really helps up my energy. i had a medium skim latte with sweetnlow and felt right as rain again. i'm pumped about sbd and am taking the fatigue as a sign that my body is readjusting and changing in the way it's supposed to. can't wait!
kirby28oconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 185/185/120

Height: 5'1"

Day 7 of Phase I (on July 2 -- actually, as I post this, it's still July 1 in California) -- I had to go back and look at my journal to find out what day I'm on. I'm not really holding on for Phase II for dear life because I know I won't be making huge changes at that time. I know, for example, that I will probably never incorporate bread, even whole-grain bread, into my diet again. I have lots of experience with attempting it...in fact, I have about 60 pounds of experience with just this sort of thing.

I also know I'll be going verrrrrrrrry slowly on my fruits. Oranges may never pass my lips again without my paying for it in I-will-kill-you-for-that-Twinkie-you're-holding cravings. I mean I just know this stuff. So I'll be starting PII with the lowest glycemic index fruit I can find, and only a bit of it, and only with a protein...and only in the afternoon or evening. Whew! Anyway, I guess that's why I'm losing track of the days; I'm not really counting down to anything huge. And I'm so fine and so happy with that.

I feel good. I feel like I'm eating too often, but I have lost weight. I was peeing insanely all last night so I realize much of it is water. That's fine with me and makes perfect sense.

I had a headache yesterday but today it's gone. I was also low-energy yesterday, but way better today.

I've been exercising daily, but nothing crazy. I do 20 minutes a night of Liz Gilles Pilates.

Last edited by CaliforniaMelanie; 07-02-2010 at 01:20 AM.
CaliforniaMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 166.4/156.2/135

Hello friends,

soo glad to see so many newbies succeding! I am just about done day 3 phase 1. my first time trying south beach. i was a ww girl for years! but it just stopped working and it was soo easy to cheat. i am LOVING the strictness of this plan. it makes it easy to stick to. i have lost 4 lbs so far!!!!

i do have a few questions however hopeflly this is the right arena for them:

~ can you eat the south beach meal bars in phase 1..i dont think so but you never know.

~ are headaches normal? i had one the first 2 days but have found on day 3 i am headache free!!!! and my appetite is already changing!

thanks in advance for the help!!!
snackiejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #156  
2X4 no more

S/C/G: 320/284/140

Height: 5'4"

Day 6 for me on PH1. I started losing a little over a month ago. Doctor has me on meds for obesity. But I was losing slow and the scale was going up and down so much. I could not eat all of the 1700 calories he wanted me to eat.
So I cut my meds in half, and decided I needed to get rid of the bread and potatoes and rice. I read about SB a few years ago but never tried it. I tried Atkins for about 4 days awhile back but felt weird and greasy hahaa.
So I read up on SB again and lurked the boards and started. I lost 3 pounds this past week and did not go up and down just down.

I just finished dinner a little bit ago. Made Jenns shrimp dish with the basil over in the phase one entrees here. And the spinach and Made Glenns baked mashed cauliflower with cheese. DH got mashed taters with his but he loved the shrimp.

I also had some frozen carbmaster yogurt today. Put 2 cups of the vanilla along with a little cocoa powder in the ice cream maker. When it was done churning I added some natural peanut butter. Ate 1/2 cup.

I'm feeling really good. Not sleepy in the afternoons at all. (that could be part diet med though)

jackie- I have noticed some on here have headaches when they first start. If you were a caffiene user or sugar eater giving those items up can cause headaches for a bit, but they will go away. Don't know about the SB bars cause I don't use them.
woodgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #157  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackiejackie View Post
~ can you eat the south beach meal bars in phase 1..i dont think so but you never know.

~ are headaches normal? i had one the first 2 days but have found on day 3 i am headache free!!!! and my appetite is already changing!

thanks in advance for the help!!!
Just as you suspected, meal bars are not OK for Phase I. They contain grains, but also brown rice syrup is the second ingredient (sugar) and they contain more sugars, lots of additives and some questionable bad fats. Most of us avoid them when in Phase II and try to eat less processed food. I know they set off cravings for me.

A lot of us have headaches in Phase I, especially in the first week, but it sounds like you're feeling better already. I know on Day 3 for me I was also nauseous most of the day. Eating beans and having milk or yogurt sometimes helps, as they contain a little more carbs.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 200.8/200.8/165

Height: 5' 2"

Smile

Let's see, I'm on day 6 and so far I'm doing OK! No major cravings, just having a little trouble with lunches, because I can't have a lot of spinach (medication) and I'm used to having spinach salads... Romaine and iceberg will work fine, they're just not the nutritional powerhouse that spinach is.

Anyway, I'm down 8.2 pounds, which I'm thrilled with! I think I owe a little of that to the lousy (HOT and HUMID) weather here in Mass. I've been far more interested in drinking than eating. I've been eating much lighter meals than usual. If the weather cools down, I'm thinking there might be an "adjustment" in my weight as I eat more regular meals. Anyone else finding that???

Julie
MrsKJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 166.4/156.2/135

ann, thanks so much for your answers!!

i am on day 7 of ph 1 and feeling good. had to skip b-fast today...wasnt feeling soo hot. but got in a snack and a great salad for lunch. starting to really crave fruit again!!! but luckily having no bread or pasta cravings yet..

i just want to congratulate everyone on sticking withit! coming out of a weekend and still going strong speaks alot to your will to loose the weight!
snackiejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #160  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

@ Glitterlicious, you are 6'3? You could be a supermodel!!!

Hey Phase 1 chicks, I was on my last day of a clean Phase 1 today. It's something I've done many times before. In the early stages (over 2 years ago), I'd cheat, freak out, get back on plan, then cheat again, freak out some more, and eventually eat my way into oblivion. After awhile I mastered a clean Phase 1, but then I would not have enough in the budget to continue eating healthily and would have to go for cheaper, carby options, and that totally destroyed my efforts at making a lifestyle change. I took some time off to gather all my information and truly sit down and plan out everything, budget, food lists, and all. This time around I did MUCH planning, and I'm extremely confident I'll be able to continue having OP foods in the house. I have no excuse stopping me this time. I REFUSE to allow any excuses to stop me this time.

Also wanted to say that because of the yo-yo 'dieting' I have done over the past couple of years, going on SBD and never fully making it a lifestyle change, and then going back to regular eating and binge eating, I've gained more weight (a cycle of losing, then gaining, then losing, then gaining more, and losing, then gaining even more, and so on. It's ****. So try to stick with it and make those lifestyle changes ! Trust me. ) I wanted to say this not to scare or alarm you, but to hopefully show you a bad example of what not to do (like I have done in the past) and tell you that this is no fad diet, and you can't treat it as such, as I have. It is truly a lifestyle change! You must stick with it to see results and be able to maintain results.

I'm trying new recipes, always excited about dinner at the end of the day, and it's been really fun this time around. I've been doing 10 minute hypnosis relaxation tapes as well to aid me in the process. It's not a magical cure, but it's a good way to fill your mind with positive affirmations. It's not something that would work for everyone, but it does help me.

So I'm supposed to be going on phase 1.5 but I don't know if I can do it. I am so comfortable on Phase 1, and I may even go for another week if possible. Then will start phase 1.5 by adding in a simple fruit a day, such as an apple (pectin in apples is good for you!) or strawberries. I'm learning new ways of cooking things without having to have grains, and I've never been able to stick to portion sizes when it comes to rices and pastas so I would have to ease into that SUPER SUPER SLOWLY.

So I'll be joining you guys for the next week because I can't bring myself to start Phase 1.5 quite yet. Have not weighed myself since I started Phase 1 this time, so I'm not sure how much I lost.

And I must say, I read all of your posts and you guys are doing GREAT!!!!

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 07-13-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 195.6/185.6/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! I'm on day two of phase one. I had a melt down this afternoon. I think part of it is that I'm close to that time of the month. I was craving fruit because before starting South Beach, my mom and I were eating a ton of fruit from Costco (cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries). I'm still struggling with the idea that I can't have these foods for awhile. I understand the whole idea of GI and everything, but I just don't want to believe it so I can eat more carbs. Ugh! It's hard, but I still haven't had anything on the no-no list.

To everyone else, awesome work!!
Jlyne327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

I've got 10 days left!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote