New Here!

• Hi All,

I am new to the "Beach" and this site! I am on Day 8 of the program and am so excited that I have lost 4.4 lbs! I am really excited to make this a lifestyle change and drop some weight!

Here's a little about me: I am just your average American mom. I work full time, chase after my toddler, and try to find time for my husband. Sorry it’s not more exciting! I think like most moms, after my son was born, I stopped being a priority in my life. Everything else started coming first, the baby, the house, my husband, work, and on and on. Looking back this may not have been the best decision, if I am not taking care of myself, I am unable to be the mother and wife that I want to be. I was one of the lucky ones, I gained 15 lbs during my pregnancy and lost all of it within 4 weeks. Unfortunately, the stress of being a new mom wore me down, and by my son’s first birthday party I had gained 50 lbs! With the additional weight I am not able to be the mom I want to be.

Is it just me or is the South Beach Diet easy? Not in how much weight is lost, but the simplicity of the program's rules. I have tried so many different diets and get frustrated with all the rules! I really like the fact that there are basic guidelines and I don't have to count anything!

I am looking forward to using this forum to offer support, encouragement and motivation! Good luck to everyone!

Take care,
    Losing It In Colorado
  • Hi Losing It and

I'm another Colorado beacher! I think most of our Eastern gals are already tucked in for the night.

I think SBD is easy, too. Our household has made alot of shifts in the past year, so DH and I are eating pretty much the same things. My initial WL was on my own; I've only followed SBD for the last year. My experience has been very positive, but I stick very close to the plan. White potatoes are a thing of the past in our house. Any baking I do is OP and the only thing left is my DH's giant bag of doritos which he replenishes every time we go to Costco.

What I think has helped me the most has been to fully commit to this as a WOE. At this point, I feel so super healthy and the rest of my weight is coming off slow and easy. I loved watching the scale move down for many months, and now that it's slowed down I don't worry and fret; I just eat OP.

One thing I picked up on right away, was that posting everyday was a way to keep my head in the right place. I've had a few off days, but I get right back on the bus. That is something very new for me.

Best wishes! I'm in GWS and have lots of family in Denver.
  • Welcome Losing It!
    It's great to meet you.
  • yay for you!

You're better than I....I didn't start losing til my second child was ... over 3 years old. It has SO changed the way I and my family eat!! I think I'm setting a far better example for my children than I was. I no longer keep those little fruit snacks in the house for them, and they read sugar labels all the time (mind you, they still eat sugar, but probably not as much as most kids). Like debbie, the white potatoes are gone....sweet potatoes for us. No more white rice, rarely white bread is found. You're right...the "rules" are easy. To me, if it's good for you, eat it!

I feel so much better on this WOE, and hope you do too. Welcome to our group!!
  • Hey, Losing it! I'm in a similar situation (full time working mom with hubby but my son is 5, almost 6). I agree that South Beach is easy. I like the food on it, and I love that I don't have to count anything. The one difficult thing about it is planning meals and doing the prep work (chopping veggies etc.) but that's a small price to pay. This way of eating is SUPER healthy too. Having fallen off plan a couple of times I can tell you that it is totally shocking how white carbs weasel their way back in if you open the door just a little bit. Going off plan will happen; you'll just develop strategies for jumping right back on. Welcome!!! It is so motivating to post every day here. Are you posting you menus on the On Plan thread?
  • Great to meet you The advice and support here are amazing!
  • LosinitinCO! It's great to have you joining us, and congratulations on your weight loss so far. I'm glad you've discovered the beauty of this diet. It's a lifelong way of eating that's easy to follow.
  • Adding my . You will love it here. As other Beachers have said, posting daily is a great help.
  • Hi LosingitinColorado! Post on the SBD bio page.
  • Thank you all for the warm welcome and support! I am excited to hear that everyone feels SBD is easy and a new lifestyle and not a diet! I am really looking forward to changing the way my family eats, for my health and theirs! I will try to post everyday, like you all recommend, I can see that helps with accountability!

Lexxiss: I am excited to see you are from CO too! We are in Arvada and love it! I am definitely looking for a WOE as well, and am very encouraged that it has worked for you. This may seem silly, but what does OP stand for? Thanks so much for your support, best of luck!

TwynnB: Just like you, I am looking for a lifestyle change, not just for me but for my family. It is very important to me that I find a plan that is suitable for my family as a way of life. It's so encouraging to hear that it worked for you and your family!

Mmckellen: I have not posted my menus on the On Plan thread. I will definitely look for it though! Maybe I will see you there!

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Losing It In Colorado