3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Question about South Beach bars & a few Diet Direct items... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/197103-question-about-south-beach-bars-few-diet-direct-items.html)

valley 03-19-2010 07:59 AM

Question about South Beach bars & a few Diet Direct items...

I am wondering about what kind of quickie bar meals I can occasionally use on Phase 2. I work 3 days a week cleaning houses and so far, i've been bringing along 2 cheese strings, 2 rolled up pieces of deli turkey and 15 almonds for my lunch. I dont want to pack an actual cooler-type lunch because I really dont take a real sit-down lunch break..I take a 10 minute break because I only work from 9-2pm. So it would be nice to have a bar once a week or so to break up my regular stuff...

that being said...are any of the south beach bars ok for phase 2? I looked at them in the store yesterday but didnt get any because I dont know how many carbs/sugars are safe to eat in one sitting and the last thing i want is to trigger cravings!

I also get the Diet Direct catalog and found a couple of interesting items I want to ask about that I might like to use at some point..my sons 14th birthday is coming up in 2 weeks..i'd love to be able to have some SB friendly cake with him to celebrate:

Bariwise Pancake mix:
Calories: 90
Protein: 15g
Fat: 1g
Carb: 6g
Sugar: 2g

Wonderslim double chocolate cake:
Calories: 120
Protein: 12
Fat: 4.5
Carb:9g
Sugar: 3g

do these products look ok? If not...what should I look for as far as carbs/fat/sugar limits?

CyndiM 03-19-2010 08:08 AM

Hi Valley :wave: Have you read the book? Are you getting your 4.5c of veggies each day? Some veggie sticks would be an easy addition to your other lunch items

We don't count carbs. The only way to answer your question about those mixes would be to see the ingredients. Does the catalog list ingredients? Unless they are whole grain though they may not be Phase 2 safe.

As far as the bars, I'm sure you will get other input but I don't think most of us eat them. They definitely can cause cravings. Sorry. Maybe we could help you brainstorm other really easy lunches?

tammies00 03-19-2010 08:09 AM

With southbeach it is not about the "numbers" as much as it is about the ingrediants. Can youpost the ingrediant lists.

Also, there are a few cakes in the recipe section. A chocolate one and a carrot one that I remember. The bean brownies by Kara are good too.

I am not sure about the bars. You would need to look at the ingrediants.

Tammie

ETA: I meant to say not about the numbers! Sorry

CyndiM 03-19-2010 08:12 AM

I'm guessing you meant it's not about the numbers :)

valley 03-19-2010 08:21 AM

thanks ladies.

Yes, I have the book..2003 version so I wondered if there have been updates.

There are no ingredients listed in the catalogs so i cant say for sure whats in them! I have just been reading back through the archives and see the mixed reactions about the SB bars so i will hold off on at least those for awhile until phase 2 is well under way. I saw someone mention "Nessa Bars" and i'm going to search for the recipe for those next.

I will also look for that cakes in the recipe section. I'm pretty sure I saw one that called for agave nectar..another controversial sweetener from what i've been reading about. I figured it would be easier to purchase something ready to mix rather than make another trip to the health food store for special ingredients. I soooo want to eat right but there's a lot to learn and so many opinions to wade through. I'm thinking I should proceed cautiously with foods I am unsure about and then try to listen to what my body had to say about them. I'm really loving that SB is actually teaching me instead of just telling me what to eat.

I know we dont have to count anything...just thought there might be a general idea of when to say "whoa, no way!" when I am looking at the carb/fat/sugar grams on labels. :)

valley 03-19-2010 08:23 AM

Cyndi...no on the 4.5 cups of veggies a day..having a tough time there. Love the mashed cauliflower and spaghetti squash. I'm getting around 3 cups but feel like its a chore to eat more than that.

valley 03-19-2010 08:36 AM

found the ingredients on their website...

Blueberry pancake mix:
Ingredients:
Whey Protein Concentrate, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Egg Whites, Blueberries, Potato Starch, Leavening (Baking Soda, Corn Starch, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate), Guar Gum, Eggs, Salt, Fructose, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, SucraloseŽ.

and the choc cake:

Ingredients:
Soy Protein Concentrate, Vital Wheat Gluten, Chocolate Liquor, Sugar, Butter Powder (From Milk), Pasteurized Egg Whites, Cocoa, Wheat Flour, Natural and Artificial Flavors (Includes Tree Nuts [Walnuts]), Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Cocoa Butter, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Red #40, Modified Cornstarch, Yellow #5, Monoglycerides, Propylene Glycol Esters of Fatty Acids, Lactic Acid, Corn Syrup Solids, Sucralose, Vanilla, Sodium Caseinate, Blue #1, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Acesulfame-K, Diacetylated Tartaric Acid Esters of Monoglycerides, Sulfites (Contains Meta-Bisulfite [To Preserve Freshness]), Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate (To Preserve Freshness).

yeah..so the enriched flour doesnt look too hot. Nor does sugar and butter powder in the cake mix..

WaistingTime 03-19-2010 08:38 AM

I have mixed feelings about the bars. Dr. A clearly is against processed food, yet let his brand be put on SB bars. Last time I was on SB I found they would cause cravings if I ate them often. But I keep a box in the house now and throw one in my purse for emergencies. If I have one rarely, I am fine. I have had 3 in the last 10 weeks and doing it that rarely did not cause me to go off plan. But they are certainly sweeter than other stuff I eat now so I would suggest caution. I look for the highest combination of protein and fiber and lowest sugar. I do consider calories too. I go with the SB protein bars and an Atkins bar. All are about 140 calories if you watch that. But I only eat them when I am out and can't get to my normal non-processed snacks. So bottomline from my experience... once a week is probably okay.

valley 03-19-2010 08:43 AM

thanks Karen. Hopefully they wont trigger cravings for me, too! :)

jenne1017 03-19-2010 09:16 AM

The SBD bars totally trigger cravings for me. I can't believe how SWEET they are! If I am on the road or am craving something (once a month if you know what I mean), I do pick up some almonds, cheese and a protein bar - they are usually bigger than the other bars and so I eat half with at least 20 oz of water. The full bars I see have 3g of sugar and then 7g of the sugar alcohol and I know that causes stomach issues for some. These types of bars cause me no issues...craving or otherwise.

It is an occasional "I am stuck" fix IMHO so for your question of doing it 1-3 x a week, I'd go with no.

Cut up veggies that you cut up on the weekend or a day off and then pre-package individually for grab and go, hard boiled eggs, bean salads -- all are quick, on plan, and will fill you a lot more than the small portions you've been having too.

ETA: I would say a no to both mixes-Enriched Flour and Sugar is why. You can bake a cake with whole wheat flour and agave perhaps?

Heidi58 03-19-2010 09:18 AM

Valley, I ate the bars regularly when I did South Beach about 5 years ago. They were brand new at the time and you could buy them everywhere - it was great. (I used to use the frozen meals, too.) They didn't cause any cravings for me, and I liked the taste. I switched to the Kashi bars later on because they had a lot more fiber... I don't know if that's changed now. I haven't looked at the labels for either in ages.

I don't eat the bars this time around because I'm really focusing on eating whole foods and minimizing artificial sweeteners and processed stuff. (The many health issues in my family this past year has prompted me to go this route.)

String cheese and a can of v8, or almonds and a can of v8 are my favorite on the go snacks this time around. Both fill me up and are easy to grab on my way out the door.

dosbabe 03-19-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenne1017 (Post 3207890)
The SBD bars totally trigger cravings for me. I can't believe how SWEET they are! If I am on the road or am craving something (once a month if you know what I mean), I do pick up some almonds, cheese and a protein bar - they are usually bigger than the other bars and so

I did buy a box of them and ate the whole box in two days. They are very sweet.

Artemis__ 03-19-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valley (Post 3207826)
found the ingredients on their website...

Blueberry pancake mix:
Ingredients:
Whey Protein Concentrate, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Egg Whites, Blueberries, Potato Starch, Leavening (Baking Soda, Corn Starch, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate), Guar Gum, Eggs, Salt, Fructose, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, SucraloseŽ.

and the choc cake:

Ingredients:
Soy Protein Concentrate, Vital Wheat Gluten, Chocolate Liquor, Sugar, Butter Powder (From Milk), Pasteurized Egg Whites, Cocoa, Wheat Flour, Natural and Artificial Flavors (Includes Tree Nuts [Walnuts]), Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Cocoa Butter, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Red #40, Modified Cornstarch, Yellow #5, Monoglycerides, Propylene Glycol Esters of Fatty Acids, Lactic Acid, Corn Syrup Solids, Sucralose, Vanilla, Sodium Caseinate, Blue #1, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Acesulfame-K, Diacetylated Tartaric Acid Esters of Monoglycerides, Sulfites (Contains Meta-Bisulfite [To Preserve Freshness]), Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate (To Preserve Freshness).

yeah..so the enriched flour doesnt look too hot. Nor does sugar and butter powder in the cake mix..

I don't think either of these two are P2 friendly.
They both have sugar, high up the list on the choc cake, and corn syrup and they have various starches - potato flour, cornstarch, and flour.
Honestly, I'd avoid them.

cottagebythesea 03-19-2010 05:52 PM

Enriched flour is a polite way of saying that the flour has been processed to take all the healthy nutrients and fiber out of it, then chemically put back in.

And the phrase "wheat flour" is a way to trick you into thinking you are eating whole grains, when, in fact, it's a fancy word for plain old white flour.

Dr. A really sold out on us when he let Kraft peddle these bars as SBD friendly.

LaLaurie 03-20-2010 11:17 AM

Hey valley, I'm on SBD because of the Wonderslim products, specifically, the chocolate cake and bars. I had started out on Medifast and lost about 25 pounds, then ordered the lower-priced WS items. It definitely triggered cravings. I kept going back to the kitchen to make "just one more" and ended up throwing the rest of the items in the trash despite their cost. The triggers seem to be more about the ingredients (white flour and sugar) than the amount of carbs.