South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #16  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Wild Vulpix, you need more veggies than iceberg lettuce and cucumbers, no dairy or beans.
I realize iceberg lettuce isn't any good, but I had to finish off what I already bought. I ate the last of it though, so it's gone

But I thought limited dairy was fine? (And I'm unsure about beans, but I thought I read somewhere that miso soup is Phase 1 friendly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatehSparrow
Back on phase I again. =) Feeling really pumped for it too. =)

Wild Vulpix-- I see you go to school in MA, so do I! =D
No way!! I see you're from Northampton too! Usually when someone's from Massachusetts, they're over in the Boston region! I'm in Greenfield we're practically neighbors! Which school do you go to?
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 195/186/140

Height: 5'6

Well... I lied a little. I'm actually from Long Island, but I spend 7 months out of the year up in Northampton. I go to Smith. I'm on Spring Break and I can't wait to get back up to NoHo. I love it there. What about you, where do you go?
KatehSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Wild Vulpix, Miso soup is fine for Phase 1. But you should try to get in at least 2 cups of dairy every day. It doesn't have to be in the form of milk. I'm not a milk lover, but I do have to have it in my coffee and tea, and I use unsweetened almond milk a lot, too. I believe you said you don't care for yogurt, but have you tried adding a bit of cocoa powder or cinnamon and splenda to it? Check out the revised Phase 1 food lists for other ways to get your dairy in, too. It's important to keep your diet balanced and make sure you're getting enough nutrients. Beans will help keep you feeling full and are full of fiber, which keeps things moving along.
I hope this helps!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #19  
High school teacher

S/C/G: 220/190/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, the Grilled Eggplant Rounds with Garlicky Cilantro Topping was pretty good! I didn't use an outdoor grill, but broiled them.
LaLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatehSparrow View Post
Well... I lied a little. I'm actually from Long Island, but I spend 7 months out of the year up in Northampton. I go to Smith. I'm on Spring Break and I can't wait to get back up to NoHo. I love it there. What about you, where do you go?
7 months of the year is the majority of the year, so I would say you live over here! Smith is a really great school, too. Right now, I'm in Greenfield Community College, but in another year I'll probably be going to UMass in Ahmerst. Do you like it over in Northampton? A few of my classmates live over there and my father works as a nurse in one of the mental health clinics there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea
Wild Vulpix, Miso soup is fine for Phase 1. But you should try to get in at least 2 cups of dairy every day. It doesn't have to be in the form of milk. I'm not a milk lover, but I do have to have it in my coffee and tea, and I use unsweetened almond milk a lot, too. I believe you said you don't care for yogurt, but have you tried adding a bit of cocoa powder or cinnamon and splenda to it? Check out the revised Phase 1 food lists for other ways to get your dairy in, too. It's important to keep your diet balanced and make sure you're getting enough nutrients. Beans will help keep you feeling full and are full of fiber, which keeps things moving along.
Ohhh! I thought it was at most 2 cups of dairy, not at least. I really have no problem eating up dairy. (I think you're confusing me with someone though I didn't mention yogurt. Still, your advice sounds REALLY tasty!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaurie
Well, the Grilled Eggplant Rounds with Garlicky Cilantro Topping was pretty good! I didn't use an outdoor grill, but broiled them.
Mmmm!! Grilled eggplant sounds delicious!!!

But... I've always wondered... What's the difference between broil, grill, and bake? I use my toaster oven to cook just about everything (as there's no reason to heat up the big stove oven when I'm only making food for one) but I always pick 'bake' or 'toast' because I don't know when it's appropriate to use one of the other settings.

And also.... someone is cooking fried chicken (either in my house, or outside) and it's making me craaaave!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 195/186/140

Height: 5'6

Quote:
7 months of the year is the majority of the year, so I would say you live over here! Smith is a really great school, too. Right now, I'm in Greenfield Community College, but in another year I'll probably be going to UMass in Ahmerst. Do you like it over in Northampton? A few of my classmates live over there and my father works as a nurse in one of the mental health clinics there too.
Northampton is really great. Its the perfect town for me... lots of unique shops and interesting people. UMass Amherst is great! You'll be in the area! =)
KatehSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #22  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

[QUOTE=Wild Vulpix;3204302]I realize iceberg lettuce isn't any good, but I had to finish off what I already bought. I ate the last of it though, so it's gone

But I thought limited dairy was fine? (And I'm unsure about beans, but I thought I read somewhere that miso soup is Phase 1 friendly.)

Sorry to confuse, I meant you aren't eating any dairy or beans, not that you shouldn't eat them.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatehSparrow View Post
Northampton is really great. Its the perfect town for me... lots of unique shops and interesting people. UMass Amherst is great! You'll be in the area! =)
I'm really glad you like the area! I grew up around here (moved quite a bit as a kid, but always ended back up in this general area) so it has a lot of sentimental value for me. So it makes me glad that you like it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch
Sorry to confuse, I meant you aren't eating any dairy or beans, not that you shouldn't eat them.
Ohh! That makes more sense usually I eat lots of dairy (mostly in the form of cheese, but not always!) but beans on the other hand... I've never been a fan of beans. I hate baked beans (much too sweet), and black eyed peas (bad memories!). I PROBABLY could get myself to eat lima beans as they don't have much of a flavor if I remember right. ...And green beans are good but I don't think they count!

Breakfast
- 2 scrambled eggs with splenda (extra virgin olive oil)
- Few slices of deli turkey
- Bowl of cooked spinach (with apple cider vinegar and 1/4 TSP salt)
Snack
- 1 Fudgepop
Lunch
- Two small pieces of chicken
- Slice of pork
- Few thin slices of turkey deli
- Bowl of cooked spinach (with apple cider vinegar and <1/4 TSP salt)
Snack
- 1 cheese stick
- 1 small piece of chicken
- 8.5 black olives
- Half glass of milk with splenda and vanilla extract
Dessert
- 1 small Phase 1-safe homemade "cookie"
- A couple of spoon fulls of sugar-free pudding

I ate way too many 'treats' today. I went shopping for some more spices and veggies... and when I go shopping, I get all these ingredients in my mind that I want to try out and I just get too excited to wait. I woke up again today at 1PM, so there wasn't enough time in my day for dinner too.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #24  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

WV, I don't like lima beans either, but I love black beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, etc. South Beach diet really promotes eating beans daily. Have you tried any of these. Great recipes using beans in this forum.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote