Substitute for Nuts

• So I think that nuts (especially peanuts) make me bingey (is that a word? LOL). I can't eat just a serving...it's really hard. So now I have decided to do without them, at least for a while.

Anyone have any substitution suggestions?
  • Roasted chickpeas are pretty tastey and healthy, with less calories and fat then nuts.
  • How about the other nuts? Peanuts are really not a true nut since they grow underground. Maybe almonds, pistachios or walnuts would be OK. Nuts do have good fats.
  • Quote: How about the other nuts? Peanuts are really not a true nut since they grow underground. Maybe almonds, pistachios or walnuts would be OK. Nuts do have good fats.
    Unfortunately, almost all nuts make me bingey. I've tried them all...sunflower seeds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, macadamias...I love 'em all....too much so! I like them because they are satisfying, but it seems that it's very hard to keep myself to one serving.

It's been a while since I made roasted chickpeas...might have to make those again
  • I guess if nuts gave me problems I'd just skip them. There are enough other things to eat. I'd really miss them though.

I rely on nuts as a filling snack. They are easy to overeat so I count or measure them into snack size baggies as soon as I buy them. That keeps me from mindlessly eating more than one serving at once and it's easy to just grab a bag and go.
    Peanuts don't do much for me. Almonds and pistachios are my favorites, I really like sunflower seeds too.
  • Beans! They fill me up like nuts do (usually I will eat 10 almonds 10 mins before a meal so I don't overeat!). But beans should do the trick too!
  • Have you tried soy nuts? I also like apple slices for their crunch.
  • I really like dry roasted edamame. I have the same problem with nuts and nut butter. I've had to just stop eating them beyond a couple of T of nut butter in something. Salted are the worst, I do better with 100 calorie packs of unroasted almonds.
  • Wasabi Peas!!!!
  • Quote: Wasabi Peas!!!!
    Wasabi peas contain sugar, starch, and wheat flour, which is another name for white flour, so they're not necessarily SBD friendly.
  • Oh, sorry! I didn't realize that this was a SBD thread.
  • Love the 100 calorie packs of nuts
    Also roasted pumpkin seeds are good
    I find as long as I portion it out and don't eat out of the container (for anything nut just nuts) I have less inclination for more especially if it involves going into another room to get it!
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to implement a few of these after I do a "nut detox" for the next week.