South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Default March Phase 1 Discussion Thread

Hey, everyone! I thought I'd get this thread started as I'm sure we'll have some new P1-ers since Monday is March 1. I'm doing Phase 1 along with two of my office-mates that I'm in our Biggest Loser contest with. I've already gotten the menu together and have written my shopping list as well. I'll shop this weekend and do some prep to get ready for Monday morning.

If you have questions, gripes, concerns, comments, victories and etc. about P1, be sure to share them here. I can't wait to see who I'm P1-ing it with!!

P.S. A lot of times, when someone new asks a question, a veteran SB-er will respond with an answer followed by, "have you read the book?" Please don't take offense to this. Those of us who have been on and studied SB know that it's important to read the book first. A lot of people have the wrong idea about what SB is and start it without knowing the whole truth. Reading the book as soon as possible is the best tool you have in doing this the right way and accomplishing lasting, healthy weight loss.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #2  

I'm doing Phase 1. I read the book but now my copy is MIA (I think my mom has it) so I've been using the SBD cookbook and the web to help me with my questions. I first did SBD about 7 years ago, so doing it now is a really different experience because there are so many new products available.

I was wondering if SF choc chips or choc syrup are legal on P1. I know I'd have to limit intake but my old book didn't mention them so I'm not sure where those are on the legal/nonlegal lists.
kev524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

kev, you can have chocolate on Phase 1, so I'm sure you can the SF chocolate chips and syrup. Just remember that 75 calorie sweet treat limit rule, though.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

kev, I just checked my book and sugar free chocolate syrup is listed under foods to enjoy for phase 1 (sweet treats.) Like Cottage said, remember to limit it to 75-100 calories per day. In Phase 2, you can have 1 oz. of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. I don't see sugar free chips listed anywhere though...I assume they are along the same lines as the syrup and are fine in either phase.

Last edited by Kslosingit; 02-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #5  
barb

Height: 5'7

I was on Phase 1 for a week and did good. This weekend I slipped so here I go again! I did loose 5 pds though...but I am always hungry.. Need to up the beans!
djmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #6  

Thanks for the info! I think I might just go buy a new copy of the book and maybe the Good Fats book too.
kev524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #7  

Hello, kev524! I'm glad the veterans were able to answer your questions. Looks like we'll be one P1 together, so good luck!

Hi, djmommy! WTG on your 5-lb. loss so far! I'm sure you'll get back on the P1 wagon and do well!!

I didn't make it to the store today. We're in the middle of a massive wind storm and it's just ridiculously unpleasant outside. We're eating from the freezer/pantry tonight. Fortunately, we eat fairly well, so the cabinets and fridge are full of P1-friendly foods. I'll have enough to get through the day and I'll go to the store after work tomorrow.

I'm stoked to get started. It's been a while since I've accomplished P1 successfully. I can't wait for the "clean" feeling that comes from being on SB "for real". I just end up so fresh and full of energy after a few days and I feel like such a dolt for not sticking to it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 316/309.8/165

Height: 5'8"

I'm a newbie to SB. I started Phase 1 yesterday. Last week I was just doing food logging and moving more. Just easing my way into the change of eating habits.

I do NOT recommend the Thai Shrimp Soup. It sounded good on paper but... I salvedged the shrimp and will enjoy it on a salad but the rest of the soop went down the drain. :-(
UtahChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/174.5/130

Hi all other P1 South Beachers

I am also new to SB and this board. I actually did SB a few years ago with success so I am back to try again. My 1st day will be tomorrow. I needed to get some LF cheese, veggies & acceptable spread for things like veggies today.

Question which LF cheeses do you guys favor? I went shopping today and the selection of cheese with less than 6g fat per serving was ; there was some shredded cheese but nothing if you wanted bulk cheese. I found a store brand of shredded Colby Jack for cooking purposes that fits the bill. What I'd really like is a brand of cheese that I can slice for snacking on like a cheddar or some Swiss. Mozz sticks are OK but too me they're a lil bland. Any reccs of brands would be much appreciated.

Thanks & good luck to all of us.

Sue
monasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Sue, I'm surprised that you are having difficulty finding reduced-fat cheese in your area. Some of the common brands around here are Sargento, Finlandia, Kraft, and Alpine Lace. They all offer a nice selection of reduced-fat cheeses, and many supermarkets even have their store-brand. Laughing Cow Light is a good spreadable cheese, and works well in cooking, too. Do you live near a Trader Joe's? They offer several low fat cheese, also.

I hope you are able to find something, good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #11  

Hi, UtahChick. Good luck on Day 3 of P1!! How are you feeling? Are you finding it easy or hard? Thanks for the warning about the Thai Shrimp Soup.

Hi, Sue! Welcome to 3FC! Sorry you're having trouble finding reduced-fat cheese. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have three options in my town; part-skim mozz string cheese, part-skim mozz shredded cheese and reduced-fat shredded cheddar. It's slim pickin's out here for sure! Good luck finding something with enough flavor for you. I think having some colby jack to mix things up with would be awesome!!

Well, Day 1 is over for me and I think I did pretty well. I'm feeling a bit headache-y today, but that's probably more from cutting out caffeine than anything SB-related. I was bummed because I could not find SF Fudgesicles anywhere in town. They had NSA ones, but they aren't SB-legal. I guess I'll have to do mocha ricotta creme to get my chocolate fix. We weighed in at work yesterday and my weight jumped, but it has to be because we're using a different scale than I use at home. My weight on my home scale was much, much lower. Since we're competing at work I'm going to use that weight as my official weight. It was really painful moving my ticker up!!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Sue, I buy a big package of Frigo reduced fat cheese sticks at Walmart. It is a variety pack and has mild cheddar, monterey jack, and co-jack that gives me a nice variety. I also like the Sargento RF provolone if you can find it.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

Kim, I don't think there is such a thing as sugar free fudgsicles. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the no sugar added ones are fine.
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 203/180.5/150

I just looked at my box of fudgsicles and they say No Sugar Added. I think they used to be Sugar Free b/c I've been buying the same brand forever. I never noticed the change in wording. There's a picture on the back of the box of all of their low/no sugar products and the only fudgsicles are No Sugar Added. I hope they're ok b/c I've been eating them! LOL
carolinagirl2398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/174.5/130

TY everyone for the suggestions. I can get the shredded cheeses just not anything you could slice. I may go to Traders today anyway since I like their frozen seafood dept. Their prices are so much more friendlier than buying fresh fish & tastes just as good to me.

Kim sry to hear about the fudgesicles. I always thought like someone else mentioned though that that NSA fudgesicles were OK on SB. I hope someone clarifies this. I only have a couple in my house but I sometimes use those for a choc fix.

Sue
monasmom is offline   Reply With Quote