3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Sugar Free vs. No Sugar Added (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/195006-sugar-free-vs-no-sugar-added.html)

tinkin3 02-22-2010 09:01 PM

Sugar Free vs. No Sugar Added

Hi All:

I'm hoping you can help me. I didn't find anything in the threads. When it's cold out, I love hot chocolate. I generally keep the instant kind in my cupboard, but what I have right now is regular, with sugar of course. I've been to a few different places to buy "sugar free" hot chocolate mix, but can't seem to find it! What I have found is "no sugar added." I've looked at the ingredients list, but I still can't figure out if it's OK.

In the end, I just left it on the shelf and made my own at home with skim milk, unsweetened chocolate and Splenda. It's probably a better option, but certainly not something I can make at work.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Kslosingit 02-22-2010 09:10 PM

I would guess it's comparable to the no sugar added fudgsicles which are allowed. It's probably fine, but I am no expert.

murphmitch 02-22-2010 09:12 PM

I think the NSA is fine. The sugars in the nutritional data are usually from the dried milk, although the Swiss Miss has a NSA and a diet one that is lower in calories. I have one by Nestle - Carb Select Fat Free that has only 25 calories, but I don't care much for it. I think if you make your own, it tastes better and is better nutritionally without all the additives.

jenne1017 02-22-2010 10:20 PM

I have found that NSA always has some sugar in it and SF doesn't - both have sugar alcohols though!

I made hot chocolate a few weeks ago and used Splenda, my unsweetened cocoa powder and milk and it was yum!

Kslosingit 02-22-2010 11:26 PM

After reading this before, I wanted hot chocolate so I made it with unsweetened cocoa powder. I just followed the recipe on the box and subbed splenda for the sugar. It was good! I did it in the microwave...do you have one at work? You'd just have to bring a cup of milk, a couple packets of splenda, and you could measure out the right amount of cocoa powder into a ziplock bag.

Gelene 02-23-2010 12:42 AM

I make my own instant hot chocolate mix. This way you know what is in it, and it is also easy to take along since it is instant. I got the recipe off a bag of instant nonfat dry milk and tweaked it a tad bit for my sugar free life style.

Hot Chocolate Mix

2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup Splenda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 vanilla bean

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until you have a fine powder. Store in an airtight container. To make, mix 3T.(or to taste) of dry mix with 1 cup of boiling water.
Makes approximately 14 cups.
I also like to kick it up a bit and add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and an 1/8 tsp. of chili powder(don't knock it ;) until you try it, trust me)
Enjoy.

Kslosingit 02-23-2010 11:12 AM

Thanks for posting that, Finki! I can't wait to give that a try.

mizzmoe01 02-24-2010 12:03 PM

I made a great hot chocolate last night and thought I'd share:

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup FF milk
spoonful of coco powder
1/2 spoonful of vanilla extract
2 packets of Splenda
pinch of salt
cinnamon stick

I combined everything in a small pot on the stove. It was GREAT! The salt takes care of the Splenda after taste and it really took care of my chocolate fix.

Also I want to add that I didn't measure anything, just a spoon here 'n there.

tinkin3 02-24-2010 12:45 PM

Thanks for the recipes! That's an easy way to make it portable!